Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 09:01 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,193 times

Advertisements

And, likely with our new mayor, it's less likely than before. She has spoken against using city funds to pay for stuff like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 09:38 PM

147 posts, read 259,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
And, likely with our new mayor, it's less likely than before. She has spoken against using city funds to pay for stuff like that.
GOOD!

Let's let eMetro and its turd brigade actually improve it's performance, rather than just sucking at the public tit. It's long past time for them to come into the 21st Century.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:40 PM

624 posts, read 1,308,950 times
With Jean Stothert becoming the new mayor, I have become immediately pessimistic about the future of public transit in Omaha for reasons that are obvious to most of us here. I have a feeling that once the Central Omaha Alternatives Analysis is through with, she will do what ever it takes to reduce it to as small of an improvement as she can. She will slash taxes to a point where there won't be enough funding for any sort of desirable improvement. Might as well throw away the time and money we've already spent on what was the greatest opportunity for transportation and city-wide improvement since (forever?) Ah, I hope I'm over-reacting.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:05 AM

181 posts, read 357,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
With Jean Stothert becoming the new mayor, I have become immediately pessimistic about the future of public transit in Omaha for reasons that are obvious to most of us here. I have a feeling that once the Central Omaha Alternatives Analysis is through with, she will do what ever it takes to reduce it to as small of an improvement as she can. She will slash taxes to a point where there won't be enough funding for any sort of desirable improvement. Might as well throw away the time and money we've already spent on what was the greatest opportunity for transportation and city-wide improvement since (forever?) Ah, I hope I'm over-reacting.

When you say city-wide improvement, are you including those people who do not even have access to e-metro yet?

How about fix the broken wheel first before you make a better mode of transportation.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:41 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,541,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
No, that isn't going to be anytime soon. We have a transit study for streetcars and bus rapid transit that will be done this summer.
and of course, these "studies" never accomplish results.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettB View Post
When you say city-wide improvement, are you including those people who do not even have access to e-metro yet?

How about fix the broken wheel first before you make a better mode of transportation.
Yes, I am. People that are not already served by Metro live in an area that simply doesn't make sense to serve with the type of system we already have. Not only is there very low demand for Metro bus service, there's also the great amount of milage it takes to cover these areas. I think anybody in their right mind knows that there's no way people in the suburbs are going to use transit without a completely different approach. And that approach almost definitely includes some sort of rapid bus, limited stop rail transit, or streetcar. Moreso rapid bus and light rail would be attractive to those in the suburbs... My point is in order for us to see any kind of improvement, these new types of attractive transit need to be implemented. And it only makes sense to start small, and in the densest area of town that has the best bus ridership. Then we can start to see demand and growth to better serve the areas not already served by bus.

In a good transit system, buses don't feed buses. Buses and streetcars feed> rapid bus feed> light rail and commuter rail. Until we see some more taxes that go to transportation we won't see any of this. Because as of right now, bus service is almost good enough for everybody that already lives near a bus line, and Metro won't pull service from these areas to serve those few who demand it.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:58 PM

I would not consider Blondo or Maple West of 120th as suburbs. If I worked downtown, I'd have to walk or drive to the nearest bus stop where I could park and that would be 108th & Fort, and that is a 5-minute drive from my home. I'd try to improve ridership where it is not very accessible instead of making better transit where it already is.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I would not consider Blondo or Maple West of 120th as suburbs. If I worked downtown, I'd have to walk or drive to the nearest bus stop where I could park and that would be 108th & Fort, and that is a 5-minute drive from my home. I'd try to improve ridership where it is not very accessible instead of making better transit where it already is.
Whether or not northwest Omaha is suburbs doesn't really matter in this case. The fact still remains, the area isn't favorable at all for any kind of efficient or desirable bus service.

Let me put it this way. Take Benson Park TC for instance. It didn't used to exist eight years ago, and at that time, 72nd and Military was served by only two buses. For what ever reason, they decided to put in a transit hub, making it a meeting place for four buses. In this case, transit infastructure (the transit center) increased service and connectivity of the area by two times. Now, if you look at west Omaha, Papillion, Bellevue, and what not, you see minimal to no transit infastructure. This can be definitively tied to the layout, density and proximity of those areas. Now say we add a light rail route all the way up Dodge, with stations every couple of miles. Each one of these stations would become a popular destination, thus there would be increased demand for bus routes that run between the light rail stop and neighborhoods farther away. Not only that, but the area around the station would become attractive to business and dense living. They would each essentially become their own Aksarben Village or Midtown Crossing, just from the initial investment of light rail. Now you can see that none of these things currently exists, and as a result, there is very little demand to reach any of these places with a bus. It would be costly and inefficient.

I'm not saying the outlying areas of the city don't deserve better bus service. I know there's very little bus service there, but I also understand theres quite a good reason why. And I'm just saying there's no way to make it better without doing something new that will require city-wide investment. It just seems to me that the people that complain the most about lack of transportation options are the last people to willingly put aside money for it. And for as long as Jean Stothert is mayor, there isn't going to be any push to change that. That's why I'm pessimistic.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:19 AM

From a financial outlook alone, I feel that any expansion of transit into any rail system is not likely. The taxpayers cannot sustain any expenditure like this at the present time. There are or would be many skeptics as to the cost/benefit of such an financial outlay. Would it be like the bus, and a pay to ride circumstance, or a anyone can hop on for free and let the taxpayer take the burden. And, how long would it take to pay off said investment in upgrading this infrastructure. Dodge is a heavily traveled artery. Where would the 2 lanes for a rail come from?

Old 05-18-2013, 02:03 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,199 times
Quote:
From a financial outlook alone, I feel that any expansion of transit into any rail system is not likely. The taxpayers cannot sustain any expenditure like this at the present time. There are or would be many skeptics as to the cost/benefit of such an financial outlay. Would it be like the bus, and a pay to ride circumstance, or a anyone can hop on for free and let the taxpayer take the burden. And, how long would it take to pay off said investment in upgrading this infrastructure. Dodge is a heavily traveled artery. Where would the 2 lanes for a rail come from?
Do all the roads we build return on their investment? Do the taxpayers take the burden for all the miles traveled by car? There is a broken mindset in this country that somehow says public transit has to break even while we can sink billions into roads without a second thought.

That being said anything more than busses will never happen in Omaha without federal funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha