Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:37 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettB View Post
The raises were not in the 2012 budget is what the underlying issue was I believe. They were taken away from those who received them.
They were included in the 2013 budget. And where are you getting that the raises were "taken away"? The council doesn't have that authority and I could find no source saying the raises were taken away. Show me what you have.

Quote:
Suttle's image is that he can be a snake in the grass that tries to do things behind the councils back. Had he just put them in the 2012 budget to begin with, there would likely have not been an issue with it.
You can't do anything "behind the back" of the council. Suttle might play politics and use loopholes to get things done, but...this is politics.

Quote:
Another issue I have with Suttle was the wheel tax. I live outside the city limits and have to pay it. While I dot disagree entirely on paying it, there should be 2 tiers of the wheel tax. One for residents, and one for outside the city limits. Wheel taxes are used for the purpose that the tax denotes. However, as I do not maintain a residence within the city limits, I should not have to pay wheel tax to maintain residential streets. I would not object to paying a lower tax that accounts for that.
Fair point.

Quote:
My 4 messages to the mayor's office when the tax expansion was being discussed went unanswered. My belief is that Suttle does not really care about people as individuals and just wanted the tax money.
What kind of answer were you looking for, specifically?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 12:37 PM

181 posts, read 358,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
They were included in the 2013 budget. And where are you getting that the raises were "taken away"? The council doesn't have that authority and I could find no source saying the raises were taken away. Show me what you have.

You can't do anything "behind the back" of the council. Suttle might play politics and use loopholes to get things done, but...this is politics.

Fair point.

What kind of answer were you looking for, specifically?

Raises taken away with 2013 budget.

Omaha City Council Approves A "Fiscally Responsible" Budget - www.kmtv.com

In regards to the wheel tax questions I had, as far as an answer, a response of any kind. Or does the city ignore any and/or all feedback / suggestions it receives? Or did my opinion not matter as I am not really an Omaha resident only a tax source?

Old 01-27-2013, 01:18 PM

624 posts, read 1,309,294 times
I don't really comment on politics, but I sent Jim a proposal and he sent me back a personal letter. I wouldn't say his character is in question, but that's just my view.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
I don't really comment on politics, but I sent Jim a proposal and he sent me back a personal letter. I wouldn't say his character is in question, but that's just my view.
Glad he took the time to reply to you. My experience is on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:40 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettB View Post
That's a bit of a misnomer. They didn't (nor do they have the authority to) take away the raises. What they did do was reduce the Mayor's budget. He could have made changes elsewhere in his budget to cover the raises and nothing could have been done about it.

Regardless, end result was the same, and thank you for finding the story for me.

Quote:
In regards to the wheel tax questions I had, as far as an answer, a response of any kind. Or does the city ignore any and/or all feedback / suggestions it receives? Or did my opinion not matter as I am not really an Omaha resident only a tax source?
Without knowing specifically what you asked, it's hard for me to say why you didn't get a response. As others have mentioned, they have received responses so it could have been as simple as something that they felt had been adequately addressed already or simply a lack of time and capacity, as I imagine they were flooded with calls and letters at that time.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
That's a bit of a misnomer. They didn't (nor do they have the authority to) take away the raises. What they did do was reduce the Mayor's budget. He could have made changes elsewhere in his budget to cover the raises and nothing could have been done about it.

Regardless, end result was the same, and thank you for finding the story for me.

Without knowing specifically what you asked, it's hard for me to say why you didn't get a response. As others have mentioned, they have received responses so it could have been as simple as something that they felt had been adequately addressed already or simply a lack of time and capacity, as I imagine they were flooded with calls and letters at that time.

I asked what I more or less stated in regards to the wheel tax, and that was in regards to having 2 tiers of the tax. Which was not addressed by the mayors office when they were discussing expanding the tax to go outside the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha