Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 05:24 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,543,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Just curious, but do you see being "progressive" as a negative trait?

maybe the same reason the left sees the tea party as "negative"

look, I am a conservative, (yes, I am Pro-Life) but I use facts and not just emotions guide me like many on the left do.

when u use just ur emotions and let emotions cloud the facts, it can make people on either side do stupid things

yes, there are the AFA and FRC cranks on the right who are motivated by anger and hate like some on the left are.

and they dont speak for many conservative christians like me.

I am not saying being a Progressive or even a Tea Party person is a bad thing,

but there is a fine line between being on the far-left or far-right

and being someone like most people who arent far-left or far-right in Omaha who is truely motivated by clear logic and well meaning intentions.

I am a Pro-life somewhat middle of the road on issues, but conservative at times independent who has voted for Democrats, Republicans and Independents.

I am not motivated by politically party lines, but whoever is best candidate for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 05:24 PM

181 posts, read 358,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
A billion dollar 20 year plan for North Omaha was laid out during Suttle's term. It is tough to quell a violent culture in 4 years. The fact that Suttle's term has lead to the most cohesive plan of any previeous mayor to date has to count for something.
I was referring to crime, not long term development. If I wanted to move my family to Omaha, I'd not pick North Omaha today because of the crime, not what development would be there in 10-20 years.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:40 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettB View Post
I was referring to crime, not long term development. If I wanted to move my family to Omaha, I'd not pick North Omaha today because of the crime, not what development would be there in 10-20 years.
Development, or, rather, lack there of, has a strong correlation with crime rates.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:44 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
how bout cutting wasteful spending. like cuting the number of mayoral assistants and also get rid of his private mayoral car.
Ok, a couple questions here.

1) What wasteful spending would you cut? The items you mentioned would be a tiny, tiny percentage of the revenue we would lose by removing the restaurant tax.

2) Why would you want to get rid of the Mayor's vehicle? I don't think the cost to lease that vehicle is an unreasonable cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post

btw, u said Suttle is responsible for crime rates going down.
I did not say that. I said that the Mayors office (read: for any mayor) and city council can, in fact, have a serious effect on crime rates.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
Development, or, rather, lack there of, has a strong correlation with crime rates.
Yes, and no.

For how many decades was the Vickers plant where Sorensen Park is now? Did the presence of all those jobs have any impact on the civility of the area? Jobs have a part in the equation. How one chooses to live is another thing altogether.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:00 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,963 times
Quote:
I am getting at the point that crime doesn't just disappear by anything right away. Creating a community will be the only real way to rid the violent culture in North Omaha. And that takes decades.

It isn't a magical solution in anyway, but just more policing wont solve a damn thing. It will take a generation believing it is wrong to end disputes with gun fire or stabbing. Those generations wont happen unless some major work is done to the area.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:04 PM

And it isn't just "put Aksarben Village in North Omaha" type stuff. The plan is heavy on more activities for kids, better parks and a lot more cultural amenities. Again it isn't perfect, but it is a laid out blueprint to change the tide of North Omaha.

The group organizing it has had a lot of success with the same types of things in Atlanta.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
And it isn't just "put Aksarben Village in North Omaha" type stuff. The plan is heavy on more activities for kids, better parks and a lot more cultural amenities. Again it isn't perfect, but it is a laid out blueprint to change the tide of North Omaha.

The group organizing it has had a lot of success with the same types of things in Atlanta.

Development is risky. For example, look how people on subsided housing do not care about where they live. Some do, many do not. The "its not mine so I don't care" mentality has to end. Taking pride in something whether you own it or not needs to happen. The code of silence / anti-snitch ideology must be changed as well. All these shootings, yet no witnesses.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Development is risky. For example, look how people on subsided housing do not care about where they live. Some do, many do not. The "its not mine so I don't care" mentality has to end. Taking pride in something whether you own it or not needs to happen. The code of silence / anti-snitch ideology must be changed as well. All these shootings, yet no witnesses.
The idea for taking pride is breaking up the subsidized housing. Mixing it with middle income housing, people who own. Being next to property owners caring for their property is supposed to encourage others to do the same.

All of the things you are saying are a culture thing though. Many of the kids have grown up with those ideas.

You can't change a culture in a year, I think you can over 20 years.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:42 PM

First, I need to say that not all of North Omaha is riddled with crime. But its the pocket areas of high crime that give the whole area the stigma that it has. The underlying foundation is at what point will the stigma be changed? People need to feel welcomed and safe to go someplace. What needs to happen first? Bring change into the community in hopes that it causes a cultural shift, or change the culture of the people in the community as not to inhibit said development? We need new community leaders. Ones who want to actually bring new and better things to the area. Begin with not re-electing Chambers. He did very little for his legislative district during his 30-year stint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha