Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 11:13 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,541,313 times

Advertisements

ashford is doing better than suttle in the polls from what I heave seen and heard

look, I am no fan of Suttle or Ashford, but I would rather prefer Suttle over slick Brad.

Brad tries to be many things (a republican, a independent, a democrat, next month he will be a green party or liberterian candidate. Consistency isnt Brad's strong point (or something Brad ever seems to do a lot)

Welch I think is likely not to be mayor. he seems to be the Jim Vokal of mayoral candidates this time around.

He had his chance in 2009 and he blew it by not running then.

I btw did see at Millard Days both Stothert and Welch, so at least both are out there promoting their mayoral races.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 11:17 AM

btw,

so far only Ed Treumper is running for city council in 2013 (he's running for the liquor license obsessed and controversial councilman Pete Festersen 's seat)

We know that distirct 5 (stothert's seat) will have a new councilman or council-woman

and i would bet people will likely run against Mulligan and Thompson and Gray.

Ben Gray isnt exactly liked by many in North omaha and Mulligan is just a empty suit who hasnt done anything on the city council

Old 10-11-2012, 11:51 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,054,326 times
Why would District 5 have someone new? Does Stothert have to give up her council seat if she runs for mayor? That's the only way I see D5 changing hands, because Stothert is pretty popular in that conservative district and the chances of her winning a city wide election are small.

I'm gonna take a look at Truemper's website, don't think it matters much though. While I am not a huge fan of Festersen, he is decent enough and fairly popular in his district. Gray and Thompson will probably both be safe, although I'd love to see someone knock off Thompson.

Mulligan could be vulnerable though. That's Sigerson's old district and he was about as rabidly anti-tax as they come, and Mulligan has been pretty much more moderate. It wouldn't surprise me to see a more conservative tea party type come along and give him a run for his money.

Last edited by McBain II; 10-11-2012 at 12:14 PM..

Old 10-11-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Why would District 5 have someone new? Does Stothert have to give up her council seat if she runs for mayor? That's the only way I see D5 changing hands, because Stothert is pretty popular in that conservative district and the chances of her winning a city wide election are small.

I'm gonna take a look at Truemper's website, don't think it matters much though. While I am not a huge fan of Festersen, he is decent enough and fairly popular in his district. Gray and Thompson will probably both be safe, although I'd love to see someone knock off Thompson.

Mulligan could be vulnerable though. That's Sigerson's old district and he was about as rabidly anti-tax as they come, and Mulligan has been pretty much more moderate. It wouldn't surprise me to see a more conservative tea party type come along and give him a run for his money.

she cant run for 2 seats at once, so she wont be running for city council district 5 in 2013

Mulligan I think will be vulnerable and I bet you are right the tea party folks will try to get someone to get his seat.

Gray will be vulnerable cause many are upset with him and Freddie (mainly folks are mad at Freddie over the Nathan Hale Jr. High coverup she was involved in) and other reasons connected to Freddie 's tenure on the school board.

Also, some in North Omaha have said they have had enough with Ben and Freddie.

i btw believe Ernie will take Brenda 's seat in district 11 for state senate. Brenda 's legal problems and other issues will help Ernie win.

I btw may not agree with Ernie on some things, but I hope he wins and I btw do have respect for the guy. He like me has been troubled for years with the OPS school board's incomptence.

(I btw for the record am a supporter of Justin Wayne, the only school board member who has looked out for the children and for those who love being a OPS grad

Old 10-11-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
she cant run for 2 seats at once, so she wont be running for city council district 5 in 2013

Mulligan I think will be vulnerable and I bet you are right the tea party folks will try to get someone to get his seat.

Gray will be vulnerable cause many are upset with him and Freddie (mainly folks are mad at Freddie over the Nathan Hale Jr. High coverup she was involved in) and other reasons connected to Freddie 's tenure on the school board.

Also, some in North Omaha have said they have had enough with Ben and Freddie.

i btw believe Ernie will take Brenda 's seat in district 11 for state senate. Brenda 's legal problems and other issues will help Ernie win.

I btw may not agree with Ernie on some things, but I hope he wins and I btw do have respect for the guy. He like me has been troubled for years with the OPS school board's incomptence.

(I btw for the record am a supporter of Justin Wayne, the only school board member who has looked out for the children and for those who love being a OPS grad
Ahh, well in that case she can finish off her career on the council after having accomplished exactly nothing.

I would still expect Mulligan to win re-election if he runs, but it could be close.

I don't see Ben Gray going anywhere. I think you overestimate the unhappiness with him. I guess it could happen though, if they run someone strong.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:18 AM

how is stothert a do nothing councilwoman?

btw, what has gray or festersen or jerram or mulligan or thompson done?

btw, approving liquor licenses like crazy dont count as festersen's contribution. Festersen 's district needs more retail and business diversity

Old 10-13-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
how is stothert a do nothing councilwoman?
Well think about it, what has she done? What has she accomplished? Nothing really. Her only real claim to fame is opposing damn near everything, including the very successful police contract and restaurant tax. I honestly can't think of anything she really been the driving force behind.

Quote:
btw, what has gray or festersen or jerram or mulligan or thompson done?
Ben Gray sponsored the recent anti-discrimination ordinance, which passed the vote (Stothert voted against it) and happens to be a pretty major piece of legislation. Festernsen, though he is still too "anti-tax" for my tastes, has been pretty instrumental in Benson's resurgence and the $800,000 renovation of the Florence Library, according to his website. Mulligan hasn't really been around long enough to do much, but being elected Council President must mean he has the respect of his peers. I don't know much about Jerram's accomplishments off the top of my head, but I remember him being pretty blunt in calling out Thompson and Stothert on their hard line stances with the police contract. Speaking of Thompson, I don't know that he has done much either.

Quote:
btw, approving liquor licenses like crazy dont count as festersen's contribution. Festersen 's district needs more retail and business diversity
Festersen's district includes the rather affluent Dundee to go along with the surging Benson and improving Florence areas. I don't think the business diversity argument will work there.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:06 AM

Here's another thing that got me about Stothert's website.

Quote:
Since being elected to the city council in 2009, I’ve heard from thousands of Omahans who have written, called, or met me in their neighborhoods. And from their voices one thing is clear: Omahans want a strong leader who will keep the promises they make. They want a conservative voice, independent of special interests.
Am I the only one that finds that pretty misleading and frankly, insulting? If you want to be a conservative, fine, but don't sit there and act like a city that is solidly blue, with a 4-3 Democratic majority on the City Council and having elected a Democratic Mayor for 3 straight terms is calling for a "conservative voice". Your tea party constituents in southwest Omaha may want that, but the city as a whole doesn't.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:15 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,023 times
Ashford's latest comments about un-annexing Elkhorn were moronic as well.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
Ashford's latest comments about un-annexing Elkhorn were moronic as well.
What?!?!? Do you have a link to this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha