Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Good idea? Bad idea?
Good 5 62.50%
Bad 3 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:39 AM

8 posts, read 35,627 times

Advertisements

Who thinks that building a interstate loop much like I-680 around west Omaha would be beneficial to the development of Omaha?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 10:10 AM

884 posts, read 1,033,675 times
Of course it would, nobody would fund it though.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:33 AM

8 posts, read 35,627 times
Why not the state and or the city?
Do you think it is possible in the near future?

Old 09-26-2007, 12:46 PM

They had already proposed a huge beltway surrounding the entire metro which seems pretty likely. However I think they were talking about 15-20 years! I do think one is needed for west Omaha going north and south in some way right now but the state probably isn’t in a position to fund anything like that and Omaha sure isn’t. There best bet would be federal funding out of the new transportation budget they released last year.

Also, if development is pretty slow in the Omaha/Lincoln corridor, I doubt west Omaha would be any different. Probably will change within next few years or so...who knows.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:50 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,879 times
With the city expanding rapidly towards Lincoln I'd rather see more lanes on I80 as it is. A beltway would certainly be nice, but I don't think it would be the wisest way to use highway funds.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:08 AM

They're expanding I-80 Lincoln to Omaha to six lanes currently, you think more is needed? I also thought converting HWY 370 from Gretna through papillion/bellevue into iowa at I-29 would be great. It would take so much traffic off I-80 in Omaha. That was part of the proposed beltway not scheduled to start for at least 15 years...if they are still planning on doing it.

Last edited by Steve_W; 09-27-2007 at 07:24 AM..

Old 09-27-2007, 12:41 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
I have heard that the sprawl west of Omaha is getting quite bad. Is Omaha trying to immitate Kansas City and start sprawling in all directions along with massive highway expansion? Omaha should learn from the mistakes of other cities which saw a rapid decline of the city itself after the rapid growth of the suburbs and interstate highways.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:31 PM

Yeah they are sprawling west quite far....not too long and Omaha to Fremont corridor should be mostly developed. However, Omaha is in very good shape with its density. Omaha is undertaking many "massive" infill projects which include entertainment, medium-high end residential, retail, restaurants, etc..etc. I also doubt our population could support any out of control sprawl at this time. Make sure to remember also, lots of cities seem as though they have a bad sprawl problem but the reason sometimes for that is they are learning from cities like St. Louis and Detroit. They have to be very aggressive with their annexation policies to avoid being suffocated by their suburbs. That’s one of the easiest ways to ruin a cities economy and financial health as a whole.

Kansas City has gone a little overboard I think. I can't believe how huge that metro has grown!

Old 09-27-2007, 03:23 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Kansas City encouraged sprawl when they went on a highway building spree in the 1960s. They built highways out to rural areas that served very low population densities. In fact, the Kansas City metro area has more highway lane miles per capita than any city in the country. I do not think that is a statistic to be proud of at all. If you have traveled through the south side of the KC metro on I-435 it is now 8 lanes of traffic in some areas. The building of the Kansas City International Airport 15 miles northwest of Downtown Kansas City also helped to promote suburban sprawl as well. However, the city did need the bigger airport because the Downtown Airport had no room to expand at all.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:11 AM

Yeah, Omaha hasn't really done any of that. If anything Omaha has always built "as desperately needed" instead of building for the future. At least that's the impression I get. Now that Kansas City has grown into their freeway system I’m sure travel is much much nicer than it would have been. It's also way more expensive to retro fit freeways into cities with existing populations now days rather than build ahead. But yes, sprawl is a problem of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha