Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 12:10 PM

65 posts, read 123,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
People are funny. You castigate BIG FOOD corporations for selling Frankenfood etc yet you will pay double for products that have a label that says ORGANIC. The ORGANIC label can be put on anything. There is no clearly defined regulations to slap on the ORGANIC labels. REAL food caused an outbreak of Samonella several years ago that resulted in hundreds getting sick and thirty or more deaths. The REAL organic melon grower was spreading HUMAN waste on his fields as a fertilizer (IIRC it was grown in Chile).
GL2
Actually, the "organic" label is closely monitored by the USDA and a very complicated legal framework dictates what food items can and cannot be labeled as "organic." For more information, I suggest checking out the website of The National Agricultural Law Center or reading the books of Joel Salitan on the subject. Mr. Salitan is a long time organic farmer and outspoken libertarian who was forced, under the threat of legal action from both the Federal Government and the State of Virginia, to remove the "organic" label from his pasture raised chickens. The threat was leveled as a result of the ever evolving "organic" standards the USDA places upon such products. Many within the industry believe that these requirements were created to protect the large agriculture players while keeping the small players (family farmers) from gaining access to an emerging and valuable market.

Organics and support of local food are about more than nutritional quality. It is also about environmental stewardship and leaving the next generation with a planet that is healthy and diverse. It is about keeping toxins out of our bodies, air, soil and water. It is about preserving biodiversity, building healthier soil, treating animals with respect and dignity, and avoiding gmos that present an incalculable risk to agriculture. It is about keeping money in our community rather than sending it to a place like Chile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 12:12 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,860,945 times
There are regulations about what can be used on foods labeled organic. Whether they are being enforced in Chile (or the US) could be another discussion.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:54 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
Lean finely textured beef had problems because of the media using the wrong term 'pink slime'. Had the media use the proper term, and not a scare tactic, there would have been a far different outcome as it is 100% natural beef with no additives.

Don't even get me going on the cult of organics, especially now that we have solid ammo it is almost entirely feel good fluff! Why pay 100-200% more for something that is essentially the same? At worst the study found a slight increase in the presence of pesticides in the urine of the study participates, but it was still well below safety standards AND they admitted the pesticides could have come from home use. Nutritionally however, the study found the two to be identical.
Nonsense! I know good beef and the filler stuff is garbarge compared to the higher quality grass fed beef that is a bit more expensive. I will pay for quality as I don't eat a large amount of meat in my diet.

"Had the media use the proper term, and not a scare tactic, there would have been a far different outcome as it is 100% natural beef with no additives."

It is filler and the companies even say it is. The consumer learned and knows better than to trust outfits that mislead.

"Don't even get me going on the cult of organics, especially now that we have solid ammo it is almost entirely feel good fluff! Why pay 100-200% more for something that is essentially the same?"

Lots of demand exists for organic products. Economics 101 and supply and demand. Yes and GMO wheat and soy is definitely not healthy in the least. Hybrid high yield durum wheat has been found to have a higher glycemic index than table sugar, but the FDA tricks the public into eating more "healthy whole grains." The book "Wheat Belly" shines some light into this matter. Subsidies for farmers to produce HFCS and ethanol are certainly wise policy decisions as well It is no wonder that local and organic demand is shooting through the roof.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:00 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
People are funny. You castigate BIG FOOD corporations for selling Frankenfood etc yet you will pay double for products that have a label that says ORGANIC. The ORGANIC label can be put on anything. There is no clearly defined regulations to slap on the ORGANIC labels. REAL food caused an outbreak of Samonella several years ago that resulted in hundreds getting sick and thirty or more deaths. The REAL organic melon grower was spreading HUMAN waste on his fields as a fertilizer (IIRC it was grown in Chile).

I do prefer produce I have grown in my garden over what I buy in the Supermarket. However I trust CON AGRA more than I do some road side produce seller.

GL2
I think you bring up an interesting point. Different states have different rules and regulations with regard to what a small local farm has to meet in order to meet the organic criteria that is determined with respect to products being produced and sold. This is different than a large commercial ag business that sells a regular product as well a an organic alternative.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:46 AM

906 posts, read 1,810,346 times
Swarley, that study in the Annals of Internal Medicine says nothing about safety. It does conclude no difference in nutrient levels, which I think everyone agrees on anyway. That study actually concludes "Consumption of organic foods may reduce exposure to pesticide residues and antibiotic-resistant bacteria." The real question is (which your article does not address) - is it unsafe to eat pesticide treated food?

But this thread didn't even start with the organic debate. It was about frankenfood (manufactured at Conagra) versus real (farmer grown) food. Then someone used a weak argument to expand real food to mean organic food. Real food is broader than that. It's anything that comes out of the ground.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:18 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Actually, the OP asked where the plant was located and we proceeded to turn this into a debate about food choices.

Just saying.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:39 PM

509 posts, read 1,698,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Actually, the OP asked where the plant was located and we proceeded to turn this into a debate about food choices.

Just saying.
AMEN to that ! thank you and now maybe we can get back on track .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha