Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 08:59 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
As do I. I was only born in 1986, so by the time I was old enough to really remember anything, Aksarben was on its last legs. That said, I do remember going there with my mom and grandma to see the Sesame Street tour. That had to be in late 1990 or very early 1991, as my grandma died in February 91 and that was one of the last memories I have of her. I also remember going there in 93 and 94 for the Fire Safety days. Those were alot of fun.
You are the same age as my little brother, then. We went to Lancer games there. I know it was old and crappy and there were poles to block certain views, but damn I miss that place! I can still smell the ice arena and the zamboni, and our beloved Section W. I remember watching them kick Lincoln's butt (can I say that here? ), Skunk Man (no idea what his name was) harassing the opposing players and throwing the goalie his skunk cap after a shut out. I will always remember the last game ever played, just wish it had been a better outcome. When the team tied it up on the road to send it to game 5 of the finals, my brother and I went down to Aksarben and stood in line for what seemed like hours (I'm sure it wasn't) to get tickets. We joked and laughed and had a blast with all the other fans. Walking out of the arena the last time was sad.

I also remember when that was UNO shuttle parking! The area is completely different now, and it makes me feel old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
That was one hell of a storm. When that happened, we had moved over to the east side of Council Bluffs and lived up on a bluff in a neighborhood with only three other houses on a private road about a quarter of a mile long. I remember waking up before sunrise because I was freezing my ass off and realized all the power was out. My dad and I went outside and it sounded like a war was going on with all the tree branches breaking. The tough part of that was that since we lived on a private road, we had to clear all the fallen trees ourselves. It took a day just to clear a path small enough to make the road accessible and about two weeks to completely clear everything out.
We didn't even get any snow days out of that storm!

Old 09-17-2012, 11:16 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Come on guys, you know you want to share some memories...

Old 09-17-2012, 12:02 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
We didn't even get any snow days out of that storm!
I thought we got 3 days?

Old 09-17-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
I thought we got 3 days?
That's what I seem to remember.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:49 PM

Found a few interesting sites on the 1997 Snowstorm.

CASDE | Snow Storm of 1997 - Introduction

Omaha's Snowstorm of 1997@Everything2.com

The October 1997 Snowstorm in Nebraska

Extremely in depth site on the 1975 Tornado as well.

Omaha 5/6/75

Old 09-18-2012, 07:43 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
I remember Moby Dicks! God, I haven't thought of that in years.
I remember when the Crossroads was THE place to go on the weekend.
Anyone else remember cruising Dodge?
I remember the 1975 blizzard. My dad had to walk home from the bus stop about 6 blocks or so, and when he finally made it home he had icicles hanging from his mustache.
My house was in the direct path of the tornado. Only two of my brothers, my sister and I were home. The house next door blew up - literally nothing of it was left. Our house was picked up and then dropped so it landed off its foundation. I remember a telephone pole sticking through our bathroom, all the birds were hiding under our camper, and when the red cross showed up giving away pop and ....I don't remember, but I want to say sandwiches or cookies..... all the kids in the neighborhood thought we were beyond rich, our own can of Coke! lol.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
I thought we got 3 days?
I didn't go to OPS. We didn't get any. It seems like we got close to a week off the following March, though.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:06 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I didn't go to OPS. We didn't get any. It seems like we got close to a week off the following March, though.
I went to a Catholic grade school. I am pretty sure we got 3 days. I do remember getting time off in March as well. The rumors around school were that they were going to add days to the end of the year! It didn't happen.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:42 PM

509 posts, read 1,698,223 times
my memory takes me back to early 50s and going to Lothrop grade school . the old one and not the monstosty there is now . we live by 22nd st and Wirt and walking to scholl during winter was a bi***.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha