Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 08:55 PM

32 posts, read 74,779 times

Advertisements

Have a few questions about sex offender laws in Nebraska (or city ordinances), and wondering if anyone has some knowledge on them. I know, I know, I need to ask a lawyer. But I'm curious if anyone can at least give me some insights to help me ask the right questions to the lawyer.

1. Are there any restrictions on a registered sex offender which would prevent them from living within a certain distance of their victim?

2. If the offender was a minor, around age 13 or 14, would or could they be added to the registry?

3. Would the living location restrictions apply to a registered minor?

4. If there are no restrictions on a minor, is there any way to get a restraining order which would prevent them from living near the victim?

Just wondering if anyone has first-hand experience with this situation, and can you help with some of these questions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 09:24 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim86 View Post
Have a few questions about sex offender laws in Nebraska (or city ordinances), and wondering if anyone has some knowledge on them. I know, I know, I need to ask a lawyer. But I'm curious if anyone can at least give me some insights to help me ask the right questions to the lawyer.

1. Are there any restrictions on a registered sex offender which would prevent them from living within a certain distance of their victim?

2. If the offender was a minor, around age 13 or 14, would or could they be added to the registry?

3. Would the living location restrictions apply to a registered minor?

4. If there are no restrictions on a minor, is there any way to get a restraining order which would prevent them from living near the victim?

Just wondering if anyone has first-hand experience with this situation, and can you help with some of these questions? Thanks!
You should be able to find out all the information you should know on the Nebraska State Patrol website.

GL2

Old 10-20-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
You should be able to find out all the information you should know on the Nebraska State Patrol website.

GL2
Thanks...that website gave me a partial answer. Juveniles are only registered if they are convicted in an adult court. And the living location restrictions are deferred to each city (the state does not restrict where they can live). So I still have the question about Omaha. And still have question #4, as well.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:59 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,755,128 times
I tried helping you out and searchng but i cannot seem to find the specific laws in Omaha in regards to that. Maybe you can contact the douglas county sheriff with those questions, they would know them

Old 10-22-2012, 05:46 PM

8 posts, read 17,802 times
Im not certain about minors, call Douglas County, they were helpful when I had questions regarding someone who is an SO. They are the ones who monitor and enforce it so they would have the answers...and you dont have to give names etc.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:56 PM

Here is what I have learned from the Douglas County Sheriff's office and the Douglas County Attorney's office.

There aren't general restrictions on a juvenile offender; if they are released from detainment, they could go back to their home. However, on a case-by-case basis, the juvenile court judge may decide to place certain restrictions on the offender, such as a no-contact order to deter them from talking to their victims. They may also require ankle bracelets for a period of time, to keep track of their whereabouts. If these restrictions aren't given, then the victim's guardians could also apply for a protection order (Clerk of the District Court), but there are no guarantees that would be granted.

Essentially, there is no "sentencing" in the juvenile court. Rehabilitation of the offender is the goal. They didn't say this...but I get the impression that protection of the victims is secondary to the rehabilitation goal. There seems to be more concern about the well-being of the offender than concern for the victims. Seems a little backwards to me...oh well, that's life I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha