Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 09:04 PM

80 posts, read 190,230 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have a few questions about life in Omaha please:

1. In the winter, does the city allow snow chains/cables OR do the people have to get snow tires instead that they switch to when winter hits?
2. What is the Property Tax rate on homes? Is there Mello Roos tax there on newer construction homes?
3. BBQ/Grill laws, are there restrictions in multi-family units (condos & townhomes)?

I think that about does it. I tried looking up "snow chains" and a few threads come up but even after reading the entire thread i find nothing on that.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 10:50 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,727,791 times
I've never heard of anyone using chains. There are people that use studded snow tires (and there are specific times you can use them, i think its like october til april but dont know for certain), but honestly, I got around fine in all season tires. I've never bought specialty tires for winter in the 10 years I was driving in Nebraska.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:01 PM
CCJ

55 posts, read 167,865 times
1. Never heard of any laws concerning chains (not saying they do not exist!). I do have neighbors that put snow tires on their rear wheel drive car. I've been fine with our AWD, though we have not had a super bad winter here... yet.

2. Property taxes vary from subdivsion to subdivision. It depends on if they have been annexed into the city or not. If they are not annexed they have a SID (Sanitary and Improvement District) which is created when a developer buys land. It allows them to build streets, sewers and power via levy taxes. Once a subdivision is almost full, it's debts should be paid off/down and the city will consider annexation. I didn't know what a Mello Roos tax was and after reading a quick definition it sounds as if they are similar since SID's generally have a higher property tax rate than the city rates. BUT, the school district and county taxes play a role in total tax as well. The best way to figure it out is to look up the house on the Douglas County Assessor or Sarpy County Public Property Search sites once you have an address.

3. No help, bought a house right away.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:42 PM

53 posts, read 234,353 times
I have lived in the Midwest for all of my life and I used to drive a rear-wheel drive vehicle with all season tires and weight in the back. It can be done, but I don't recommend it. Currently I have a front-wheel drive vehicle. Two years ago when we received large amounts of snow, I purchased snow tires and it was a huge improvement. You shouldn't need chains or cables in this area. Snow tires are more than enough, your main concern at that point is the other drivers on the road that aren't prepared as you drive past them.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason4225 View Post
I have lived in the Midwest for all of my life and I used to drive a rear-wheel drive vehicle with all season tires and weight in the back. It can be done, but I don't recommend it. Currently I have a front-wheel drive vehicle. Two years ago when we received large amounts of snow, I purchased snow tires and it was a huge improvement. You shouldn't need chains or cables in this area. Snow tires are more than enough, your main concern at that point is the other drivers on the road that aren't prepared as you drive past them.
Thanks to all the replies. I'm from So.Cal and here we use tire cables (or chains for bigger vehicles) in snowy places. I've also lived in Milwaukee and there we had snow tires, city didn't allow cables/chains as they are hard on the road, plus you can't go over 35 on them without damaging the vehicle. But who drives over 35 in snow anyway. I have a front wheel drive car and with any snowpack on the road, even just 1/2" both my front wheel drive sedans slide around (brand new tires too) so there is no way i'd drive with regular tires that over snow. I guess i'd like to know if anyone knows of the actual laws in Omaha about the snow cables/chains, if the city allows them?
Thank you so much!

Old 10-29-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCJ View Post
1. Never heard of any laws concerning chains (not saying they do not exist!). I do have neighbors that put snow tires on their rear wheel drive car. I've been fine with our AWD, though we have not had a super bad winter here... yet.

2. Property taxes vary from subdivsion to subdivision. It depends on if they have been annexed into the city or not. If they are not annexed they have a SID (Sanitary and Improvement District) which is created when a developer buys land. It allows them to build streets, sewers and power via levy taxes. Once a subdivision is almost full, it's debts should be paid off/down and the city will consider annexation. I didn't know what a Mello Roos tax was and after reading a quick definition it sounds as if they are similar since SID's generally have a higher property tax rate than the city rates. BUT, the school district and county taxes play a role in total tax as well. The best way to figure it out is to look up the house on the Douglas County Assessor or Sarpy County Public Property Search sites once you have an address.

3. No help, bought a house right away.
Regarding #2:
Is there a percentage you pay per year? Here in So Cal we pay about 1.2% of value, some areas that have the Mello Roos added pay about 2%. What % is it inside Omaha, what is it lets say in Papillion?
Thank you

Old 10-29-2012, 01:25 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,727,791 times
Chains are over kill, the street plows are really on the game usually in Omaha, so its a waste of your time. If you're really that concerned, get studs. I've had cars ranging from a Tempo, to a Neon, to an Eclipse, and then to a station wagon. I never purchased studded tires for any of them, they've always been all seasons and I was never involved in any sort of car accident with all seasons. I guess its a matter of how you drive i suppose.

As for the actual law, a quick google search turned up the law...

Nebraska Legislature

Old 10-29-2012, 10:13 AM
CCJ

55 posts, read 167,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonandBranka View Post
Regarding #2:
Is there a percentage you pay per year? Here in So Cal we pay about 1.2% of value, some areas that have the Mello Roos added pay about 2%. What % is it inside Omaha, what is it lets say in Papillion?
Thank you
I'm in West Omaha, Elkhorn School District and in an annexed subdivision (home built in 2005). Our tax rate is 2.28497%. The non-annexed subdivisions usually are around 2.6%. I looked up a few older homes in Omaha, built around 1900 and found their was around 2.1%. It was just a few, but I didn't find anything lower.

I looked up a couple in Papillion (but I don't know a lot of subdivision names, you can't just put a random/common last name in there) and they were roughly 2.4% and 2.6%. Those were both newer, I would expect an older home to be closer to 2.1%. It really does change for each subdivision, so I would say to expect your property taxes to be anywhere from 2.1% to 2.6%.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:13 AM

906 posts, read 1,803,083 times
I agree, no need for chains. In the winter, the biggest threat is other drivers on their cellphones who don't give themselves enough stopping distance and rear end you. I was rear ended 4 times last winter, and it wasn't even a bad winter. If you drive a nice car, it might be worth it to just buy a beater for winter driving.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCJ View Post
I'm in West Omaha, Elkhorn School District and in an annexed subdivision (home built in 2005). Our tax rate is 2.28497%. The non-annexed subdivisions usually are around 2.6%. I looked up a few older homes in Omaha, built around 1900 and found their was around 2.1%. It was just a few, but I didn't find anything lower.

I looked up a couple in Papillion (but I don't know a lot of subdivision names, you can't just put a random/common last name in there) and they were roughly 2.4% and 2.6%. Those were both newer, I would expect an older home to be closer to 2.1%. It really does change for each subdivision, so I would say to expect your property taxes to be anywhere from 2.1% to 2.6%.
Thank you so much, that's exactly what i was looking for. Yes, i've head that CA has it pretty good in regard to property tax, not much else tho when it comes to taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha