Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:12 PM

66 posts, read 102,438 times

Advertisements

The 2009 xmas storms covered the entire plains/midwest and then a nor'easter laid it on thick up the entire eastern seaboard. I don't think that pinpoints Omaha as a chronic snowglobe even if it isn't the greatest of winter spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 09:56 PM

4 posts, read 4,518 times
I moved for all the reasons you listed above. We have three kids and education in Phoenix is subpar. So, my husband was recruited for a job in Omaha and we just did it. It wasn't easy. We lived in Phoenix for 20 years and we left a life there...family, friends...

But, we gained a great place to raise kids. We love Dundee, we were able to buy a beautiful home that we could never get in Phoenix and we have not eaten at a chain restaurant since we moved...I love that!

We have kids in middle school and elementary school and are very impressed with the staff and teachers thus far.

There is a diverse population in the schools and unlike Phoenix, I am glad my children will be exposed to that.

I am a bit lonely, having very few friends to go out with, but I hope that changes with time.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:52 AM

124 posts, read 309,068 times
Fatherof3girls, i'm curious to know where you're located in Cali, as I'm from Arcata.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:50 PM

5 posts, read 11,099 times
Sorry everyone. I've been down with that horrible flu for a few days. Finally checking in again. Wasn't expecting all your responses.

It is not going to be easy to give up my established practice to start over for sure. I don't even know how to break it my patients...

But I am in my early 40's and this would be the time to do it. Where I live now is not racially diverse at all. I would say 99.5% Caucasian. I speak both Korean and English fluent. I don't think I am shy about meeting new people...at least up to now anyway.

I am checking out Texas area as well, north east of Dallas. I have a couple of friends out that way who want me to come there.

Will be taking a week in February with the family to travel. Flying into Dallas, but will drive to Oklahoma, Arkansas, may be even further north.

It has not been easy to make time for a trip. But as you guys have suggested, it will be very important in my decision making and will make more of it.
Thank you .

Last edited by Fatherof3girls; 01-28-2013 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: spell

Old 02-09-2013, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,608 times
What makes you think Omaha has better opportunities for elementary age extra curricular activities?
Have you considered Colorado? It is much more diverse and tolerant than Nebraska. It also has a lot of ex-Californians that moved there and have "civilized" it. I wish a million Californians would move to Omaha, some aspects of this city are so backwards, it feels like going back in time.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:37 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,193 times
Californians civilize places? Ooooooook.... sure.... and how are we intolerant, exactly?

Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 PM

125 posts, read 143,537 times
yeah, man, i can get being bothered by the fact that the gay discrimination thing is even an issue; but other than that, what is so backwards here? to me omaha, and to a lesser extent lincoln, strike a nice balance overall between traditionalism and progressiveness. not always as progressive (or, far less often traditional), as this libertarian would like, but overall, i'm not too bothered. if nebraska would legalize gay marriage, i'd be happy; and if we'd legalize marijuana and gambling, i wouldn't complain about anything major ever again

Old 02-12-2013, 06:58 AM

109 posts, read 257,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horses01 View Post
What makes you think Omaha has better opportunities for elementary age extra curricular activities?
Have you considered Colorado? It is much more diverse and tolerant than Nebraska. It also has a lot of ex-Californians that moved there and have "civilized" it. I wish a million Californians would move to Omaha, some aspects of this city are so backwards, it feels like going back in time.
This post made me chuckle. The poster does not sound very tolerant to me!

Old 02-13-2013, 09:56 PM

906 posts, read 1,809,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
Californians civilize places? Ooooooook.... sure.... and how are we intolerant, exactly?
How are Nebraskan's intolerant? Nebraska has a politician (Johanns) who actually voted against the Violence Against Women Act because it treats LGBT women like humans. I guess he thinks they are less than human? Sounds like pre-civil war thinking to me.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:29 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
How are Nebraskan's intolerant? Nebraska has a politician (Johanns) who actually voted against the Violence Against Women Act because it treats LGBT women like humans. I guess he thinks they are less than human? Sounds like pre-civil war thinking to me.
The actions of 1 do not reflect the thoughts of the whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha