Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2007, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,496 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to Omaha shortly. The work will be in Lincoln, but having been to Omaha many times previously I intend to live in that area, preferably the West side of town for a variety of reasons, but primarily closer proximity to Lincoln. First, I would like the opinions of anyone who has moved from Milwaukee, WI (metro area included) to Omaha regarding quality of life, taxes, schools, etc. Second, would it make better sense to live in Lincoln instead? My feeling is I might be giving up at least the feel of a bigger city and my understanding is that the commute is around 45 minutes anyway (not a huge deal). What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 01:24 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,019,223 times
Lang,

I haven't lived in Milwaukee, but I just moved from Lincoln to west Omaha and currently commute to Lincoln everyday.

The commute from west Omaha to Lincoln is not bad at all. From door to door its about 45 minutes and that will shorten once all the construction is done.

The commute in Lincoln obviously depends on where you work and where you live. If your home and work are in opposite corners in Lincoln then commuting from Omaha is probably just as easy. However, you need to look into to where your job is in relation to I-80...if its in far south Lincoln then that may be a problem.

Honestly, I really like both cities. Omaha over the last 10 to 15 years has really developed into a nice city and I think it is very underrated by many in the rest of the country.

Lincoln is a nice city, but has more of a small town feel. It really just depends on what you're looking for. In general, I would expect Omaha to be on or near the same level as Milwaukee, but I wouldn't rule Lincoln out either.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:30 PM

28 posts, read 111,605 times
I would also look into the communities of Gretna(pop 6,000) and Ashland(pop 3,000) both are within a half hour of both Omaha and Lincoln along I-80

Old 11-11-2007, 11:46 AM

273 posts, read 250,536 times
I grew up near Milwaukee and have lived in Omaha 4 years. No comparison in my opinion...in favor of Wisconsin. If you've lived here before then you probably know the pros and cons as well as anyone.

Have you weighed out how taxing, literally and figuratively, commuting will be? Have you ever commuted before? Fuel is headed to $5/gal through 2008 and QOL is priceless.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:07 AM

884 posts, read 1,039,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo-me View Post
I grew up near Milwaukee and have lived in Omaha 4 years. No comparison in my opinion...in favor of Wisconsin. If you've lived here before then you probably know the pros and cons as well as anyone.

Have you weighed out how taxing, literally and figuratively, commuting will be? Have you ever commuted before? Fuel is headed to $5/gal through 2008 and QOL is priceless.

Since when are you the foremost expert on quality of living? When comparing Omaha to Milwaukee I think quality of living is a pretty week argument on your part and surely you can come up with something better.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:58 AM

Pablo,

Seriously. "No comparison" between Milwaukee and Omaha?? Seriously. You have some sort of "hate Omaha" bent and I'm not sure why.

And a 35 to 45 minute commute to Lincoln is not that taxing. I commute to Lincoln everyday from west Omaha and my wife commutes to the Medical Center everyday (we're roughly at 192 & Center). I would say my commute is much easier than hers. The commute to Lincoln is very easy. You can live in Omaha and drive just as long...depending on where you live and work.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:31 AM

10 posts, read 34,368 times
I live sort of close to Milwaukee, and I love it, I'd venture to say that they are comparable, but I haven't seen a whole lot of Omaha. I would like to live there someday, however, and hope its not as tragic as its been made out to be!!

Old 11-14-2007, 12:37 PM

Lover,

Omaha is a very nice city. Don't let a few on here who are intent on tearing it down change your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha