Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 01:24 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times

Advertisements

Omaha could expand Sunday alcohol sales | Politics - KETV Home

Quote:
The Omaha City Council is set to vote this month on a proposal that would expand alcohol sales in the city.

If approved, those 21 years or older could buy alcohol starting at 6 a.m. every day, including Sundays, until 2 a.m.

Currently in Omaha, adults have to wait until noon on Sunday to buy hard liquor. City officials said a state law changed in 2012 to allow cities to authorize alcohol sales on Sunday to the same extent as all other days.
Personally, I'm all for this. This is another vestige of social conservatism that is thankfully on its death bed in the Omaha metro. If approved (and I suspect it will be) this will be another step toward the continued transformation of the city into a place that attracts singles and young professionals.

In other related news, we have unconfirmed reports that upon hearing this story, Billiefan's head was seen exploding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 03:39 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,963 times
Makes sense. There is literally no argument against it.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:33 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,543,719 times
what wrong with social conservatism and moderation in omaha

Old 08-09-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
what wrong with social conservatism and moderation in omaha
Everything, really.

For starters, the idea of any major city being a bastion of social conservatism is just laughable. By their nature, big cities are melting pots of diverse races, religions, ethnicity, and cultures. That one would suggest governing by social conservatism (which let's be honest, in this country is based on Judeo-Christian principles) is wrong, but ethically and legally. Second, there are economic impacts that also need to be considered.

Bottom line is that if you want to be abstinent and have socially conservative views, that is your choice and your right. Let's draw the line at having it legislated, however.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:33 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,543,719 times
i thought legislating people was good

just look at what our govt. wants to push (i.e. socalism and wealth re-distribution and obamacare

or is the govt. wrong for pushing socalism down our throats

btw: maybe being too liberal can hurt a city. just look at Detroit (which is broke and has had a 1 party system for decades)

Old 08-09-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
i thought legislating people was good

just look at what our govt. wants to push (i.e. socalism and wealth re-distribution and obamacare

or is the govt. wrong for pushing socalism down our throats
I'm not really interested in letting you sidetrack this thread with your usual uninformed political tripe, but I'll take a second to point out to you that having the government legislate fiscal, economic and public health policies is much different than legislating personal lives and morality.

Quote:
btw: maybe being too liberal can hurt a city. just look at Detroit (which is broke and has had a 1 party system for decades)
Detroit's problems having nothing to do with it being "liberal". It's much more complicated than that. We're not Detroit though, and we don't have their problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: