Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 05:20 AM

12 posts, read 51,616 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are interested in buying a house located near Fontenelle Blvd and Bedford Ave. Is this considered North Omaha? Where does North Omaha start..? We currently don't live in Omaha so we're not too familiar with the different neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 11:34 AM

88 posts, read 105,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronella View Post
My husband and I are interested in buying a house located near Fontenelle Blvd and Bedford Ave. Is this considered North Omaha? Where does North Omaha start..? We currently don't live in Omaha so we're not too familiar with the different neighborhoods.
Yes. That is in the heart of North Omaha. The general opinion is that "North Omaha" starts East of 72nd Street and North of Dodge. That casts a very large net though, and I'm sure that some on this board will disagree with that. There are some very nice neighborhoods to be found in this part of town, but this is also the quadrant of Omaha that sees the highest incidence of crime.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:55 PM

852 posts, read 1,351,990 times
Default North Omaha

I am from North Omaha... sort of. I grew up a tad north of 60th and Sorensen. The area you're referring to is decent but I wouldn't move there. The problem with some parts of North Omaha (especially in the east) is that it's pretty spotty. You'll find some pretty nice houses for a few blocks and right next to it is a neighborhood that is not so good. Generally speaking, I don't think the crime in Omaha is as bad as some make it out to be and North Omaha isn't as bad as some people would lead you to believe. Having said that, the area you're referring to is not a place where I'd raise my kids.

If you're looking for the suburbs, try northwest Omaha or southwest Omaha. I live in La Vista (10-15 miles south of Omaha) and I love the area. Dundee is an excellent area but it's kind of expensive.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:33 AM

482 posts, read 2,218,447 times
The people who are living in North Omaha are getting tired of all of the crime in the area. They are starting a group called Empower Omaha in order to work on fixing some of the problems that they are having in North Omaha. They now have a web site that you can go to and see what they are doing. Here it is for you:

Empower Omaha! Empowerment Network

Things could be worse than they are. But home will be your home no matter where you end up. If you love your home then guess that it should be worth fighting for. If not then you should look to a different part of Omaha area to move to.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:21 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,512,063 times
Benson is considered a part of North Omaha

it is great area.

They got Pizza Shoppe and Espana and the Foundry and also Louis Market there as well as a Subway Restaraunt and a Walgreens in the Benson area.

DowntownBenson.com - Omaha's Classic Neighborhood

Old 08-15-2007, 09:48 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,604,173 times
I don't think Benson is considered North Omaha. Benson is Benson. North Omaha is North Omaha.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:29 AM

1 posts, read 9,898 times
Default Is this North Omaha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronella View Post
As a former North "O" resident I would say that the area your looking at is More "BENSON" than north Omaha.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:47 AM

88 posts, read 105,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomrnorthO View Post
As a former North "O" resident I would say that the area your looking at is More "BENSON" than north Omaha.
Let's just say it's a "North Omaha-ISH" part of Benson.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:18 AM

11 posts, read 32,876 times
Petronella, what no one will say is that there are racial boundries...50th North of Dodge is an excuslive area to North O in older large homes. If you can afford to live in that area it's great. South of 50th and Dodge is the poorer African American Neighborhoods that is high crime right now. They're suffering a record number of drive by shootings this year. South of Dodge and East of 50th Street to Y street in Bellevue is all Hispanic. That includes illegals and gangs. If you're moving here and want a good neighborhood irregardless of race you should look into Millard, LaVista, Papillion, Elkhorn, OLD town Bellevue near Offutt, Gretna, East of Dodge and 72nd. etc.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:38 PM

17 posts, read 62,374 times
So what is considered Benson? and what is considered North Omaha?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha