Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 01:13 AM

13 posts, read 101,808 times

Advertisements

Thank you very much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 10:07 AM

46 posts, read 239,433 times
My girlfriend and I got pulled over and she got ticketed for having no insurance (on Christmas day...) and when she went to court it was dismissed because she got insurance before the court date. From what I understood, however, is that this kind of thing is a case-by-case situation - but you probably won't be in any trouble.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:28 PM

13 posts, read 101,808 times
was this in NE??? how long was the insurance expired? did they ask for the old insurance in court. i cant help but panic about this.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:00 AM

87 posts, read 306,504 times
Default no insurance

I have gotten a no insurance ticket 2 or 3 times and every time I got insurance before my court date and they were thrown out. I think one time I got a hundred dollar fine. The only question they asked was if I now had insurance. My husband has gotten this kind of ticket numerous times and same thing for him. I know he was without insurance for a long time but they didnt even ask that. Dougas County is so backed up with real problems that they usually dont bother with stuff like that, exspecially if your not in court much or ever. The only time you might get in real trouble for no insurance is if you were in an accident. Like the one person said be honest and sorry and dress nice but not so nice that it looks like your trying to impress them. Have your insurance card in your hand and ready to show them. Usually people before you have ticked them off so when they get someone like you it is refreshing so they are nicer. I hope this helps, then my many trips to court for stupid stuff was worth something. And yes we now have and keep insurance. Court officials talk big and scare people but dont worry.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:22 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,567 times
i doubt you'd go to jail for an offense like that. unless of course you are a repeat offender and havent learned your lesson. you will probably just get a fine and whatever else (but no jail time im sure). dont worry but dont let insurance lapse anymore. i think it is best to plead guilty to show you understand that you did wrong and ask for forgiveness. taking responsibilty and apologizing always makes you look better in the eyes of the judge.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:39 PM

273 posts, read 249,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsmom View Post
was this in NE??? how long was the insurance expired? did they ask for the old insurance in court. i cant help but panic about this.
I PANIC AT THE THOUGHT OF THEM INJURING OR KILLING SOMEONE AND LEAVING THE VICTIM TO FIX THE DAMAGE DONE. THIS SOCIALLY IRRESPONSIBLE AND WILLFULLY ILLEGAL CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR SHOULD BE PUNISHED WITH FINES IN EXCESS OF $10,000 (SENT TO THE THOUSANDS OF OUR NATIONS VICTIMS) AND HARD JAIL TIME.

I know some of you will cry unfair....until it happens to you or your family.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:40 AM

482 posts, read 2,226,098 times
pablo,

I agree with you, but the punishment needs to be harder and as crying unfair toward these individuals I for one will not do it. They get what they desire for their lack of accepting their own responsibliity to the others on the roads. Also the ones who most likely will have no insurance are the ones who most likely could not afford a higher fine. They most likely will not have enough money to pay for the damages in the first place. So jail time would be good, but still it will not pay for the damages. There is no plan in place in Nebraska to keep these people from getting vehicles to drive so this will not stop them either. So what kind of ideas can any one come up with in order to keep these individuals off the roads. Then maybe our insurance rates might go down a little bit.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,062 times
I have not gotten a no insurance ticket in about 8 years, but when I did - I got fined and lost my drivers license. I had to get to Lincoln, pay a hefty fee to get my license back PLUS carry SR-22 for 3 years. I don't think I know of anyone who has done time in jail for an insurance violation, but I know for a fact that it wasn't as easy as just paying a $100 fine. I think that was what it cost to get my license back.

I should mention that the car I got pulled over in was in transit. I hadn't even gotten it home yet.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:19 AM

1,181 posts, read 4,010,754 times
There would have to have been more to it to be forced to carry SR-22. That is usually used when someone has had their license suspended or revoked, for example because of a points violation or a DUI. I've never ever heard of anything like that for only a lack of "proof" ticket.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:49 AM

26 posts, read 137,406 times
I should mention that the car I got pulled over in was in transit. I hadn't even gotten it home yet.

Did you have insurance on the vehicle you traded? If so, the insurance from it would transfer over to the new auto allowing you time to tell your agent to make the change. Was this a new vehicle? If so, did you call your agent to tell them you were purchasing this auto? They can bind coverage on the phone, again allowing you time to make changes with your agent/insurance company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: