Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:09 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,692,949 times

Advertisements

Reimagining north Omaha - Omaha.com

I think this plan is good, so long as the also revitalize the people too and not just push them out like can so often happen. But, if everything goes as plan this will be a great project for the whole city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 10:50 AM

624 posts, read 1,310,160 times
I hope they aren't trying to get people from out of the NO area to move there. They kind of did that with Midtown Crossing and now that place is looking a lot more upscale so it doesn't serve the people of the area well, just those that have moved directly into Midtown Crossing above a good financial pillow. So I'm hoping for a development more on par with the people of the area. Maybe instead of Wohlners as a grocery anchor, get a NoFrill's Fresh market to move in. I like how exclusive urban infill projects are, I just hope in the future, the retail tenants become a little less unique and exclusive to better serve the people that already inhabit the area.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:48 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,548,538 times
no frills would be great.

I btw have heard from many the wohlner's at midtown crossing isnt doing as well as the one at aksarben village is doing.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:19 PM

54 posts, read 141,731 times
Sounds good in theory, but as previously mentioned, wouldn't this just be gentrification? The current residents would be forced to lower income areas, and this will be bought out ny yuppies changing the whol feel and history of the neighborhood.

I hope they embrace the AA community and also have plans for the development of decent jobs in that area as well. Honestly I go to that area, during the day, to the Community Cafe and it's not that rough looking considering joblessness rate and violence there.

Good to see they are finally working to develop other areas of the city. And as mentioned I hope that they do not "rejuvinate" in the same manner they did midtown crossing driving up the market in a low/middle class area.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:51 PM

624 posts, read 1,310,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senrab+Omaha=MissingChica View Post
Sounds good in theory, but as previously mentioned, wouldn't this just be gentrification? The current residents would be forced to lower income areas, and this will be bought out ny yuppies changing the whol feel and history of the neighborhood.

I hope they embrace the AA community and also have plans for the development of decent jobs in that area as well. Honestly I go to that area, during the day, to the Community Cafe and it's not that rough looking considering joblessness rate and violence there.

Good to see they are finally working to develop other areas of the city. And as mentioned I hope that they do not "rejuvinate" in the same manner they did midtown crossing driving up the market in a low/middle class area.
Yes, I hope they can keep with the people of the area, because yes, it would be just stupid to think that you can plop an upperclass dwelling right in the middle of a "bad area" and expect people to move in. However, I'm not worried at all about preservation of History. There's no value in an empty lot that used to be home to housing projects.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:44 AM

great way to help north omaha

put some businesses at 50th and ames area aka bakers plaza

and tear down some of those eyesores south of 48th and ames.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:50 PM

737 posts, read 1,917,730 times
Great way to help north Omaha is to get most of the people off the welfare, free housing, food-stamps and free everything else and get them to work for a living. IF you do that maybe some day they could afford to live in the developed areas that are planned.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
Great way to help north Omaha is to get most of the people off the welfare, free housing, food-stamps and free everything else and get them to work for a living. IF you do that maybe some day they could afford to live in the developed areas that are planned.
so true, but how they going to get off, if there are no jobs.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:41 PM

54 posts, read 141,731 times
Default agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
no jobs, very little economical development in that area. and remember we are talking about generations of such.

my other question is this: aren't there some new development/townhomes houses on 24th that they could not sell already? I thought I remembered reading about that last summer.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:42 PM

737 posts, read 1,917,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
That is one question your going to have to ask Mr. Obama in 2012
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: