Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 06:57 AM

152 posts, read 244,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
My advice to you is stay out of North O. Buy a car and drive and out as needed.

Omaha is a 20 minute drive thru town, you can get anywhere in a few minutes of driving. You can get a nice place away from the thug life and not worry about it.......... consentrate on your studies.
It seems strange to me - and not just a little telling - that your whole purpose for being on the Omaha forum is to trash-talk Omaha. Is your life really that small?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 09:11 AM

737 posts, read 1,916,851 times
They asked for an honest opinion, I gave an honest opion. Just because it may differ from others does not mean it is wrong.
I thought this is an open forum. Now you are attacking me. Go ahead and make fun of my opinions.

My opinion of north Omaha is not good. I think until the people can clean up the area and stop shooting each other every day I may change my opinion.

Geez, a little girl was killed eating breakfast in north Omaha and all the leaders up there can do is pretend to be concerned.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:51 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old General View Post
It seems strange to me - and not just a little telling - that your whole purpose for being on the Omaha forum is to trash-talk Omaha. Is your life really that small?
Yes, it is. This is the same guy who got so mad at me calling him out on his nonsense that he created an account meant to look like mine (replaced the "55" with "22") and make me look bad. All it got him though was a temp ban from the forum.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:49 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
They asked for an honest opinion, I gave an honest opion. Just because it may differ from others does not mean it is wrong.

I thought this is an open forum. Now you are attacking me. Go ahead and make fun of my opinions.
The problem is that your opinions are not honest. You've told people on this same forum that they should not consider leaving in any part of Omaha except the southwestern quadrant. Any reasonable person would know that is sheer lunacy as it ignores some the safest and most beautiful parts of the city.

Quote:
Geez, a little girl was killed eating breakfast in north Omaha and all the leaders up there can do is pretend to be concerned.
First off, this did not happen in North Omaha, but rather at 45th and Bedroom, which is more than a mile west of the western boundary of North Omaha, which is 30th. I know lots of people, including those in the media, think that everything north of Dodge and east of 72nd is "North Omaha" but that is simply not correct. North Omaha proper is the area immediately north of Downtown.

Second, while her death was very tragic, it was an entirely freak and random thing. Similar things can and have happened all over the city. It was just a little over 6 years ago that a mentally disturbed kid stole his dad's AK-47 and walked into a West Omaha shopping mall and killed 8 innocent people who were just doing their Christmas shopping or working.

It's sad, but it happens.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:

My opinion of north Omaha is not good. I think until the people can clean up the area and stop shooting each other every day I may change my opinion.

Actually, people aren't "shooting each other every day." It doesn't happen every day, and it's 100% gang & drug activity. In other words, if you're not in a gang and not buying or selling drugs, you're no more apt to get shot in North O than you are in West O.

If you like the Drywall McMansions of West Omaha that's certainly your choice. I prefer the stately old mansions of Northeast Omaha - and they are everywhere. I love my close-in neighbors, all of whom are black and all of whom are absolutely fantastic people.

But more than that, why do you waste your time (and everyone else's time) trolling this forum being a little snot? I've read quite a few of your comments, and almost none of them have any merit of thought. They're mostly just provocative little comments. Why? What are you trying to prove?

Old 01-25-2014, 04:40 PM

624 posts, read 1,309,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old General View Post
If you like the Drywall McMansions of West Omaha that's certainly your choice. I prefer the stately old mansions of Northeast Omaha - and they are everywhere.
On Florence Boulevard north of Fort street, there are some HUGE houses and none of them look even remotely similar.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
On Florence Boulevard north of Fort street, there are some HUGE houses and none of them look even remotely similar.
Absolutely! Minne Lusa Blvd is another beautiful street in that same area. The Gold Coast area has beautiful homes, as does the Field Club area. And Happy Hollow & Dundee are filled with beautiful homes. Midtown also has a rather healthy smattering of mansions. There are countless gorgeous neighborhoods, with beautiful homes, all over the east half of Omaha.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:02 AM

817 posts, read 1,769,903 times
Quote:
My advice to you is stay out of North O. Buy a car and drive and out as needed.

Omaha is a 20 minute drive thru town, you can get anywhere in a few minutes of driving.
Perhaps 20 years ago, but not today. If you live outside the city, expect a commute of around 35-40 minutes most days and sometimes longer with heavy traffic. My co workers have taken over an hour on the bad days to get downtown from the elkhorn area. Also remember the city is growing fast and those times will only get longer. Best to live close to where you work IMHO.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:31 AM

817 posts, read 1,769,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
First off, this did not happen in North Omaha, but rather at 45th and Bedroom, which is more than a mile west of the western boundary of North Omaha, which is 30th. I know lots of people, including those in the media, think that everything north of Dodge and east of 72nd is "North Omaha" but that is simply not correct. North Omaha proper is the area immediately north of Downtown.
Not that it's really important, but it was in north omaha. North Omaha is bordered by Cuming and Dodge Streets on the south, Interstate 680 on the north, North 72nd Street on the west and the Missouri River and Carter Lake, Iowa on the east, as defined by the University of Nebraska at Omaha and the Omaha Chamber of Commerce.

google maps places the north omaha text at about 52nd and curtis.

The north Omaha Neighborhood alliance is along and east of Fontenelle Blvd. or about 46th street.

but most sources list 72nd street. I have never seen a source for 30th as the western boundry.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:22 AM

906 posts, read 1,810,552 times
You could probably make a case for Radial/Military Ave. being the western edge of North O, since west of that line is known as Benson, and most of the murders in North O (according to crimemapping.com) happen between 30th and that line. Avoid that area at all costs, unless you have a death wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha