Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 01:56 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A popular family-owned restaurant will be closing its doors.

For nearly 60 years, Caniglia's Venice Inn near 69th and Pacific streets has been an Omaha staple for Italian food.
Family-owned Italian restaurant will be closing | Local News - Home

Such a shame. The last remnant of the Caniglia empire is about to fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 08:27 AM

152 posts, read 244,503 times
This is sad but not at all surprising.

In the last 5 years, any time I've driven by there - at any time of the night or day - I've never been able to tell whether they were open or not.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:46 AM

817 posts, read 1,769,368 times
Hate to say it, but good riddance! I went there once and just was not happy with anything. They may have been good at one time, but those days are long gone.

Then there was their support of what I saw as the illegal recall attempt of mayor suttle (I voted daub, just an fyi, so I am no suttle fan).

Old 02-19-2014, 01:54 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
Hate to say it, but good riddance! I went there once and just was not happy with anything. They may have been good at one time, but those days are long gone.

Then there was their support of what I saw as the illegal recall attempt of mayor suttle (I voted daub, just an fyi, so I am no suttle fan).
I probably wouldn't go so far as to say good riddance, I think these old steakhouses are a part of Omaha's legacy. Even if they represent a city that doesn't have much in common with today's city.

I do think it is time for us to quit being known for stogy old school steak houses and instead embrace the Lot 2, Grey Plume, Boiler Room and J Coco type places. A new dinning legacy for a new city.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:33 PM

152 posts, read 244,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
I probably wouldn't go so far as to say good riddance, I think these old steakhouses are a part of Omaha's legacy. Even if they represent a city that doesn't have much in common with today's city.

I do think it is time for us to quit being known for stogy old school steak houses and instead embrace the Lot 2, Grey Plume, Boiler Room and J Coco type places. A new dinning legacy for a new city.
I think there's plenty of room and clientele for both kinds of restaurants. On the very rare occasion when my wife & I get a hankering for a Ribeye, J Coco just isn't going to do it. It's an Anthony's kind of night.

I think the main problem isn't that nobody wants steakhouses anymore, but that some of these old-school places just haven't adapted. Johnny's Steakhouse is another one I suspect might not be open too much longer.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:33 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old General View Post
I think there's plenty of room and clientele for both kinds of restaurants. On the very rare occasion when my wife & I get a hankering for a Ribeye, J Coco just isn't going to do it. It's an Anthony's kind of night.

I think the main problem isn't that nobody wants steakhouses anymore, but that some of these old-school places just haven't adapted. Johnny's Steakhouse is another one I suspect might not be open too much longer.
Yeah I didn't convey that well I guess. I want places like these to exist. What I don't want is places like this thinking they can act the same way they did in 1975 and think they can exist in today's market. I love our historic institutions and they don't have to change radically to survive, but they don't do much good to anyone if they don't evolve with the city.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:03 PM

906 posts, read 1,810,081 times
Venice Inn's problem isn't that they are a steakhouse. They just have bad food that reflects zero talent/discipline in the kitchen.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:26 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Venice Inn's problem isn't that they are a steakhouse. They just have bad food that reflects zero talent/discipline in the kitchen.
You wouldn't know good food if someone held you down and force fed it to you.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:38 AM

181 posts, read 358,070 times
If I had to go back in time 25 years I'd go to Ross' over Venice Inn for a steak. I have to agree that Venice Inn has gone down in quality over the years, same with Gorat's. I have not been to Anthony's recently enough for beef to judge them. They do however have a good Easter Sunday buffet/brunch.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:38 AM

906 posts, read 1,810,081 times
If you want some awesome steak, Chipotle on 72nd/Dodge was putting out some unbelievable stuff Saturday night. Lines out the door and no seats available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha