Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:45 AM

3 posts, read 4,622 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (we're in our early 30s), along with our 10-month-old son, are possibly relocating to Omaha. I grew up in the Midwest (we're in the South now) and have been to Omaha a handful of times, but I'm not real familiar with the residential areas.

We would like to find an area that is easily walkable (restaurants and shopping nearby would be awesome) with a park in close proximity. We'd prefer to rent a single family home or a townhouse/condo in an area that is more established over an apartment complex. We're both creative so being nearby an artistic community would be great, but not necessary. As well, our son is adopted and of a different race than us so we'd prefer an area that has some racial diversity.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of some neighborhoods that may be good for our family? Thanks for your help!

Old 04-12-2013, 09:24 AM

Also, does anyone have experience with Certified Property Management? I saw a couple of rental properties they're offering that look like they may work for us, but you guys are kind of freaking me out with your property management horror stories! :-P

Old 04-12-2013, 11:08 AM

817 posts, read 1,770,369 times
If you want walkable you have only a few choices. There are a few places around midtown and downtown that are walkable. As well as some in south omaha.

If art is a big draw then the old market area will be a good area to start. There are some restaurants, but not really a lot of shopping. For omaha though it's the most urban area and most walkable. Nearly anywhere else you go you just are not going to find mixed development like that.

For art, visit the Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts. They are kinda the hub for the art community here in Omaha.
Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts : Welcome

Old 04-15-2013, 06:32 PM

Thanks for your input, harshbarj. The more I read, I am concerned that I should focus on safe neighborhoods and then find one of those that suits us best. My husband would be working evenings- are midtown or downtown areas I would feel comfortable being out with my baby alone? If not, do you, or anyone, have suggestions on areas that would be better suited for us?

I appreciate any help that can be offered! Thanks.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:45 PM

59 posts, read 105,220 times
Downtown I would consider to be safe. You may be bothered by a panhandler or two from time to time (I haven't had one bother me for some time now) but it is generally a clean, open, and inviting area. Midtown is also a nice area. Outside of the main commercial hub around Turner and Dodge, there are varying pockets of higher-income housing and lower-income housing there, but you would find some of the most beautiful houses in the city in this area. I would also suggest the Aksarben area near 72nd and Center, which is close to green space, entertainment, dining, and shopping; as well as being in relatively close proximity to the interstate and is a good base to explore the rest of the city from in all directions. I hope this could be of some assistance to you.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:08 PM

817 posts, read 1,770,369 times
Outside of a few rough spots around North Omaha and midtown, you are really not going to find a bad area. Out of over 70 cities in the united state of 250,000 people or more, Omaha was ranked 23rd safest for violent crime in 2011. You really can't do much better than Omaha in terms of safety for a city it's size. Only area listed that omaha did porly on was in auto theft (19th worst), but just don't own a car and problem fixed. Or just own a car most would not want to take. People here seem to take every report of crime as an indication omaha is a crime infested hell hole on par with Detroit or Flint, when in fact it is a very safe city. Even our shootings are mostly gang related and against other gang members, though there are always exceptions to that.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:54 AM

147 posts, read 259,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdg61 View Post
Thanks for your input, harshbarj. The more I read, I am concerned that I should focus on safe neighborhoods and then find one of those that suits us best. My husband would be working evenings- are midtown or downtown areas I would feel comfortable being out with my baby alone? If not, do you, or anyone, have suggestions on areas that would be better suited for us?

I appreciate any help that can be offered! Thanks.
The standard answer is going to be "Go out west where all the rich cool people live" but that is a stupid answer.

If you're not a racist, all kinds of places IN Omaha are great. The only truly unsafe places are a few specific neighborhoods in North Omaha. They're easy to locate.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:35 PM

906 posts, read 1,811,026 times
If you're considering downtown, avoid 16th street. You won't feel comfortable alone with your baby there. Anywhere around the Old Market downtown is safe, but that area is often littered with drunk yuppies and smokers, especially on the weekends. Midtown can also be sketchy but a few places like midtown crossing and Dundee are relatively safe.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:42 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,760,403 times
Hmm i'd go with Dundee.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:08 PM

482 posts, read 1,332,039 times
Dundee is probably where you should start your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: