Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:30 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine1009 View Post
So is electric paid monthly?
Yes, unless you find an apartment or home with utilities included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 12:05 PM

336 posts, read 574,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
You're the one saying "property taxes are property tax PLUS all these other taxes that aren't property taxes but I'm including them because I say so" and I'm the one skewing numbers? You would have been correct if you had quoted your total tax bill instead of one portion of it, but that was YOUR **** up...not mine.

You're right...property taxes are property taxes. Other taxes (school, SID, whatever) are separate taxes. I understand you and others might combine them for simplicity's sake, but it is not factually correct.

There is no debate here. I am unequivocally correct on the facts, and confirmed as much with an official document from the City of Omaha.
School, SID and whatever are not separate taxes. The are components of the property tax. Look it up on the Assessor's website.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:16 PM

482 posts, read 1,331,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine1009 View Post
So is electric paid monthly? And I'm studying online, the hubby does any odd job is looking at truck driving.
Yes. Both OPPD and MUD, electricity and water/gas, are paid monthly. You can get on a level payment plan for each which averages your use into a static monthly bill. I think that they look at the numbers each year to correct the average based on actual use. This is very useful for budgeting. I use cox for internet and they just doubled their speeds which is nice. My bill for 5-7 meg downloads is about 60 a month. You can also get internet from Century Link but I don't know much about them. Werner is one of the biggest trucking employers around and is a fortune 1000 company. Don't know much else about trucking besides that.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCB View Post
School, SID and whatever are not separate taxes. The are components of the property tax. Look it up on the Assessor's website.
That's where I found the document I linked to several posts up, the one that listed the 49.92 cent rate. The other taxes are part of the total tax levy, which includes the property tax.

Douglas County Treasurer - Real Property Tax Search (that should pull down the total levy information for a house in the Omaha city limits).

As you can see, that total levy includes the property taxes (city and county) as well as the other taxes.

Either way, since we have no cleared up the discrepancy of the numbers I don't see what the point is in continuing to argue about it.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:17 PM

482 posts, read 1,331,056 times
Also, OPPD and MUD are the only options available. We have publicly owned utilities here.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:50 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
That's where I found the document I linked to several posts up, the one that listed the 49.92 cent rate. The other taxes are part of the total tax levy, which includes the property tax.

Douglas County Treasurer - Real Property Tax Search (that should pull down the total levy information for a house in the Omaha city limits).

As you can see, that total levy includes the property taxes (city and county) as well as the other taxes.

Either way, since we have no cleared up the discrepancy of the numbers I don't see what the point is in continuing to argue about it.
Hey Bosco, check out REALTOR.COM to see what they say about PROPERTY TAXES on a $232,000 property. PROPERTY TAXES are over $5,000.

See for yourself at http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...4_M77741-28058 and click on the"Property History" tab.

There you can see that PROPERTY TAXES are indeed more than 2% of value.

Or if you do not believe me, you can call any of the thousands of real estate agents in Omaha, or any of the thousands of listings in Realtor.com or any of the tens of thousands of properties in Zillow. Or you can maintain that somehow, in some way, using some semantics, it is you who is correct and the entire rest of the world that is wrong. Yeah, I know, you found it on the internet so you think 49 cents is the right number.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Hey Bosco, check out REALTOR.COM to see what they say about PROPERTY TAXES on a $232,000 property. PROPERTY TAXES are over $5,000.

See for yourself at http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...4_M77741-28058 and click on the"Property History" tab.

There you can see that PROPERTY TAXES are indeed more than 2% of value.

Or if you do not believe me, you can call any of the thousands of real estate agents in Omaha, or any of the thousands of listings in Realtor.com or any of the tens of thousands of properties in Zillow. Or you can maintain that somehow, in some way, using some semantics, it is you who is correct and the entire rest of the world that is wrong. Yeah, I know, you found it on the internet so you think 49 cents is the right number.
So you're telling me that an unaffiliated third party site is a better bet than the actual City of Omaha government that controls the property tax rate?

Superior logic!

Old 07-22-2014, 05:06 PM

906 posts, read 1,809,786 times
Bosco, would you be happy if we called them "taxes based on property" rather than "property taxes"?

Old 07-22-2014, 05:44 PM
CCJ

55 posts, read 168,733 times
I think telling some the total tax levy number makes much more sense than just the property tax. When it is paid to the county assessor you pay the total number, you don't just pay the property tax. Just telling a person the 49 cents makes it seem very low and it would be quite a shock to them when they see the total tax levy that is over $2. I believe that when we bought the MLS listing the realtor printed out for each property listed the total tax levy, we used it to help us decide between our top 3 houses.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:55 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
In Nebraska one pays property taxes to the city, county, school district, community college system, fire departments, natural resource districts, etc. etc. It is no more proper to single out any one of these as "property taxes" and declare that the others are not property taxes than it would be to say that a Ford is an automobile, but Chevrolets and Hondas and Subarus are not. This is beyond silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: