Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 03:17 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,052,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Yea, either that robber was really good at dodging bullets, or those police had terrible aim.
Go look at the crime scene photos. I know that you are once again commenting on something you don't understand, but the effective range of a handgun is about 25 yards max, generally speaking. Now add in trying to shoot at a moving target.

There's your explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 10:21 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,981,635 times
I don't think any of us have seen the video from the store, as I doubt that has been released. And none of us were there and witnessed the incident firsthand. So no real point in debating the issue. I still don't see this as a win given an innocent man was killed. While being close to dangerous situations can be deadly, still OPD is responsible for assuring the safety of the cops people. I don't think this looks good for OPD, no matter how people want to term it. I didn't even know that show was still on. Personally, I always hated it, cops always mugging for the camera, that's just how people can be when they become the center of attention and the camera is on them. I was a cop years ago and I would have never wanted to be apart of it. But I know others that would have eaten it up. And those are the kind they often pick.

I think all cops should be wearing body cams. It would be so helpful to have a clear record in these incidents. There is always so much emotion and rush to judgement in shootings. It would help to weed out frivolous lawsuits and also help keep overzealous cops in check. In the Ferguson incident it would have told the story with a factual video of the confrontation. People can't much argue that.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:23 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,371,528 times
the fatal mistake of many robbers is that they think the police will run away if they shoot. some people watch TV too much. many urban poor are legends in their own minds.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:49 AM

906 posts, read 1,809,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
the effective range of a handgun is about 25 yards max, generally speaking. Now add in trying to shoot at a moving target.
The Glock handgun lists the effective range at 55 yards (165 feet), which is about 3 times the maximum length inside a Wendy's building. But, from the accounts given, the robber left through the same door that the police entered, on the east side, so they couldn't have been more than a few yards away.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:15 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,052,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
The Glock handgun lists the effective range at 55 yards (165 feet),
Wrong. Those claims are from third party parts vendors (the same ones you found on the Wiki page, I'm betting).

This is also further proof that you like to comment on things you do not understand. This is an excellent read on how "maximum effective range" is actually calculated. As you can see, it's not a number that is practical to law enforcement in an urban setting.

Can somebody explain maximum effective & maximum range in layman's terms? - THR

Thus, the maximum "practical" range with any standard, semi automatic handgun is about 25-30 yards as I previously mentioned. This standard is well established within the shooting community. On an anecdotal note, I have a Glock 21 (one of two weapons OPD officers may carry) and even with a match grade barrel and trigger upgrades, I can only get accurate and consistent hits out to about 60 yards. Anything beyond that starts to get questionable. And I've been shooting my whole life.

Quote:
which is about 3 times the maximum length inside a Wendy's building. But, from the accounts given, the robber left through the same door that the police entered, on the east side, so they couldn't have been more than a few yards away.
Yes. Originally it appeared that the cops were outside and fired at the robber as he attempted to leave the Wendy's. We now know they entered, the robber pointed his weapon at them while attempting to flee and was shot and killed.

At that range, the accuracy point is moot. Clearly, the officers were on point with their shots because the robber was so gravely wounded he collapsed and died a few feet from the door.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:44 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,599,841 times
This is so sad. The "Cops" show is also filming over here in Des Moines this summer, and this incident has been on our news and discussed here, as well. It may have an impact on whether the film crews will be allowed back next time.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:05 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,859,055 times
Newsflash! A bullet that leaves the muzzle of a gun barrel at 1,400 feet per second is capable of travelling close to a mile or more (depending on ballistic conditions). If the bullet hits a human in a vulnerable area the possibility of death or injury is pretty high. Don't confuse accuracy with lethality.
GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: