U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 05:06 PM

108 posts, read 253,324 times

Advertisements

I have a few fun volunteer projects for anyone who's interested. It's pretty easy - just install an app on your phone and drive around the specified areas. Only requirement is that you have AT&T cell phone service (LTE preferred but not required) and an Android device.

I'm a former Omaha resident and have been mapping cell coverage since about 2008 and am currently working to map cell sites on services like RootMetrics, Sensorly and CellMapper. However, since I now only get to Omaha 3-4 times a year and won't be back until August, I'm wondering if I can get one or a few people in the area to help me out in a few places.

What you need to do:
--Install "CellMapper" from the Google Play Store. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...net.cellmapper
--Drive around with the app running (Note: Change the app's settings so it doesn't run at startup but only when you want it to be running)
--Upload your results through the app.
--Uninstall the CellMapper app when done (though if you get hooked on this hobby or are interested in discovering more areas, keep using it!)

I got some bad data in the CellMapper app, my fault, on my last trip to Omaha in May and I'm not sure I'll have time to fix it in August. So I'm hoping that someone or a few people can concentrate on the following areas:
Bellevue, 36th and 370
Bellevue, 25th and Capehart
Bellevue, 25th and Chandler
Bellevue, 36th and Platteview

Papillion, Shadow Lake up to Cornhusker

Omaha, Industrial Rd. between 132nd and 144th
Omaha, Cuming & Saddle Creek
Omaha, 40th and Lake
Omaha, Sorensen Parkway from 60th over to North Freeway and down to Cuming.
Omaha, Blondo between 72nd and 50th

And any other areas you may be interested in. Lincoln, Wahoo, Blair, Fremont, Council Bluffs, and beyond. 99% of the data on CellMapper.net for AT&T LTE in the Omaha area was mapped by my wife and I, and we live in another state now and so have done this in free time on trips back to Omaha. So I'd love it if someone in Omaha can give me a hand with this project to round out some areas I haven't been, or areas where I have been but got glitchy/incomplete data that needs repair. Don't worry about understanding the data (but I'd be happy to explain it to anyone who's interested); the app will fix the bad data when you get new "good" data in each area.

Again, I'm doing this as an enthusiast; this is not a commercial venture of any sort. Just trying to get in touch with some people in Omaha to help me out with a completely volunteer, hobbyist project. If you have an Android phone on the AT&T network, and are willing to help, run CellMapper or PM me for more information.

Thanks in advance!

(And if anyone's interested, here's the current/existing data: http://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=31...999997&zoom=13 )
The specific LTE sites that I think have bad data are: 371080 (most important to fix), 371428, 371053, 371055 (all Bellevue so far); 371082, 371048, 371083 (Papillion); 371016 and 371017 (North Omaha).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 06:47 PM

As long as I won't run afoul of any City Data forum rules by doing this, I do have some free drink coupons for Southwest Airlines that I won't be able to use as they expire the end of the year and I have no plans for any flights this year. I'd be willing to give them to one or two people (who accumulate the most data) as a little token of appreciation.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:21 PM

14,172 posts, read 20,516,542 times
Unfortunately this subforum has been going through one of its dry spells as of late and my plans to make it back to Omaha this summer have fallen through. Hopefully someone else will come along and help you out.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Unfortunately this subforum has been going through one of its dry spells as of late and my plans to make it back to Omaha this summer have fallen through. Hopefully someone else will come along and help you out.
Thanks. Well, if nothing else, I'll be back in Omaha for a weekend in a little over a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha