Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2008, 03:53 PM

10 posts, read 50,631 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of moving to Omaha. If you had a family with school-aged children and could live anywhere in Omaha or its suburbs, where would it be? We want a good school district and a nice neighborhood where we can meet lots of people, walk to parks or playgrounds, play tennis, and be a part of a community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 04:02 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,514,634 times
Papillion would be the top of the list. Very kid friendly, very nice parks and trails. Most parks seem to be connected by trails. It has nice schools, churches, community programs. In 2007 named the 6th Best Place in the Nation to Live by CNN/Money Magazine and quality of life was a big factor. Here is the Link to the Article.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:34 AM

28 posts, read 110,954 times
Gretna, Neb would also fit your criteria. It is presently the fastest growing community in the state(present pop near 6,000). It benifits from being within 30 minutes from downtown Omaha and Lincoln and is severed by two major thoroughfares hwy 6 and 370 and is only minutes from I-80. You are also only 10 minutes from shopping and restaurants in either West Omaha or Papillion and Gretna has a award winning school district.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:30 PM

226 posts, read 572,734 times
If I had my choice: If single, I would probably move into some charming condo in midtown Omaha, or downtown. I love the new condos I see going up along Dodge Street, around 50th street.

With a family, I would likely move into a new home out around 180th and Fort, or maybe 168th and Military. I tend to like the extreme NW corner of Omaha, as most of it is so new, and I like the look of the rolling farmland up in that direction. The land in that area seems to also sits up higher, so you can easily see downtown. I also like the section from 192nd to 204th and Q streets, north towards Elkhorn. However, again, I favor the NW side the best. Places like western La Vista, and Papillion are building up nicely, but I'm not as familiar with (and thus, not as comfortable with) that area of town.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:37 PM

Thanks, guys. Does anyone have an opinion on raising a family in the Dundee/Happy Hollow area? How are the schools? The crime? Quality of life?

Old 02-09-2008, 04:13 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,514,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajohnson View Post
Thanks, guys. Does anyone have an opinion on raising a family in the Dundee/Happy Hollow area? How are the schools? The crime? Quality of life?
Beautiful old homes with character. Dundee has the added benefit of a small mixed use are so you can walk to the store, restraunts, etc. Both of these are older well established parts of town so much more of an URBAN character.

The other area's mentioned like Gretna, Papillion, LaVista, and Ralston are all SUBURBAN in character.

All are good, but there is the fundamental difference of Urban vs Suburban so will really come down to your desires and personal choice.

Dundee/Happy Hollow are in the Omaha School District while each of the others are not. Crime in these areas is not too bad.

Again, really beautiful homes in this area.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:33 PM

Would you feel safe raising a family in the Dundee area? I have not yet been to Omaha, so I am not passing any judgment here. My experience with urban areas has been that they are fun to live in before you have kids, but once there are little ones involved, you want to be in the suburbs because of things like crime, lack of open space and less-than desirable schools. Would you also consider thse things to be true of Dundee?

Old 02-10-2008, 01:48 PM

884 posts, read 1,022,991 times
Not at all, Dundee is still a very livable family oriented community. The "Fun" part of Dundee is just a small business district with specialty shops, bars, coffee houses etc.
Its no different than any other neighborhood with the exception of the older victorian style homes.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:26 PM

189 posts, read 216,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajohnson View Post
Would you feel safe raising a family in the Dundee area? I have not yet been to Omaha, so I am not passing any judgment here. My experience with urban areas has been that they are fun to live in before you have kids, but once there are little ones involved, you want to be in the suburbs because of things like crime, lack of open space and less-than desirable schools. Would you also consider thse things to be true of Dundee?
My 1st experience living in an urban was Detroit. When relocating I avoided ANY housing inside a city limits. Feared crime, etc. Found out that is not always the case. In fact the 1st move, I ended up paying much more for rent and a longer commute when I would have liked living inside that city's boundaries. (Lexington Ky)
Lesson learned.
Moved to Omaha last year. got advice from family here on nice areas to live in.
Dundee/Happy Hollow seems like a good choice for recreation, safety, family friendly and community involvement. Schools- I'm no expert, but I do hear the neighborhood schools there are good. High school offers the opportunity to choose from several High Schools. AND I have never seen an urban area with so many private(Catholic) schools still operating. Another desirable school district nearby- 'District 66, WestSide' is within a couple miles of Dundee area.
I live near Happy Hollow/Leavenworth. Am still amazed at the 'Pleasantville' atmosphere. Seeing families walkin to the store, pushing strollers, kids on bicycles, playing outside, and walking to schools, etc. VERY family friendly area.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:33 PM

Thanks for this info - I am getting more and more excited about coming to Omaha to live! It sounds like a wonderful city, obviously full of great people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha