Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 03:21 PM

149 posts, read 228,615 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I've been lurking here for a bit reading threads about Omaha and trying to learn as much as I can about the city. I am 31, married with a 1 year old daughter and currently living in the West Texas oilfield. I have lived in Tucson, AZ, Salt Lake City and Ogden, UT and was born and raised in Northern CA. My wife and I left Northern CA 3 years ago in frustration at a very stagnant job market. The city we left had a 25% unemployment rate at the time and is still sitting just over 10% presently.

Moving to West TX has been great for us career wise. We got in on the boom and were able to progress our careers with decent companies, but the boom is very much over now and we are both basically just mentally and physically burnt out. We've been in 105*+ weather for a week now and hate just having to stay indoors all the time because its so dang hot. Before moving here we had originally planned to move to Boise, ID, but the job prospects there were just too bleak. My wife recently started looking at Boise again but still, good paying jobs are just impossible to land. We both loved the idea of a more mild climate there and lots of outdoor activities and would like to find a place with these kinds of offerings.

I started looking all around and came across Omaha on a few "Best Places" type lists so did some more looking into it. I spent a couple weeks with a great aunt in Omaha one summer as a kid and remember having had a great time. Basically, we are just looking for a place that is family friendly, affordable and has decent paying jobs available (like everyone is, I guess). We aren't looking for oil field wages anymore, obviously, just looking for a state of normalcy for our family. I know that some folks find the winters very harsh, I personally don't mind this but it will be a hard sell for my wife I think.

So I have seen the zoo, I am wondering if there are many family oriented activities around Omaha? How is the boating on the Missouri River? Are there any boating lakes around or mostly just swimming lakes? I grew up on lakes and rivers in Northern CA and would love to be able to do this with my family now. Is the job market as 'steady' as it seems to be on sites like Indeed? It looks as though the West side of town is probably one of the more desirable areas to live, is this the case? We are looking at making a trip up in the next couple of months to see the city in person, any recommendations for places to see or places to avoid?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 05:36 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,203,362 times
Job wise you likely wont find anywhere that offers more stability in the country than Omaha. We are a city that wont boom during the peak times, but doesn't bust during the low times. Depending on your experience and skill the pay offers a very good QOL for the low cost of living in Omaha.

Omaha is very family friendly. Lots of family centric events happen all over the metro. Since we don't have a nature draw like the mountains or coast Omaha goes out for events. Free concerts all the time and lots of parks with a good trail system. Schools are also generally stronger than the national average here. I would argue even our "worst" school district holds its own nationwide.

As for boating that will be a little more work. People do boat the Missouri, but it isn't a hot bed of boating activity. There are quite a few private lakes near Omaha with homes on them, but you will have to travel a few hours to get a lake large enough to really enjoy yourself otherwise. At least as far as I know.

West Omaha is your standard suburban experience. If that is what your looking for you couldn't ask for anything better. The east side of town has some great historic neighborhoods, but it obviously isn't for everyone.

Good luck with your search, where ever you end up.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:12 PM

The wife and I are both holders of business degrees, I've got 10 years in the transportation industry everywhere from a driver to dispatch to now an operations supervisor. With the way things have been going down here I am a little gun shy on applications and getting feedback on them. Even companies that ARE currently trying to hire people down here are dragging the whole process out 3-4 months at a time now from application to actual start date. I am working for a great company but working 60+ hours per week during the night hours and it has just led to my not being able to be around for my family, which doesn't work for me. The wife has a good amount of experience in admin type roles but has recently gotten a promotion to a buyer/contracts position. I am hoping that the economy in Omaha is robust enough to offer some positions for her when she doesn't have 5+ years experience in a field, time will tell I guess.

We live in a suburb now and love it. In Northern CA we had a 60 year old house on land in the middle of the orchard but had nothing but problems with it so that left a bad taste in our mouths. West Omaha seems like it'd be a good fit.

As far as the economy goes I did notice that the Omaha unemployment rate was largely unaffected by the crash in 2008, that kind of stability is what we are really looking for in a new home. We really want to make this next move our last.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:39 AM

10,409 posts, read 8,109,335 times
I think you'll find Omaha a good fit for your family. Winters here are quite variable; some years are cold and harsh, others fairly mild. winter's not the only problematic season, though. You should know that we can have hot, muggy summers (although not as bad as west Texas).

Let us know when you're coming out, and we'll let you know what's going on locally that you might enjoy checking out.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:18 PM

We are tentatively planning to take a long weekend and head up around Labor Day.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:11 AM

4 posts, read 4,766 times
Omaha is great, you and your family will love it. I go boating on the Missouri River all the time. As a matter of fact I'll be going out in about 8 hours to do some fishing. It is a much bigger river than people think and is very powerful so it must be respected, but I grew up on it and love it! As far as lakes go, there isn't a lot around the Omaha area, but there are many within an hour to an hour and a half to here that you can boat on. Also you can take weekend trips up to Okoboji or Gavinspoint Damn in South Dakota.

Job stability in Nebraska in general is pretty solid!

If you like Texas, you will like Nebraska. Honestly if I was going to move to another state and I had my choice, I would move to Texas because it reminds me of home.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:58 AM

Booked a trip up for 9/1-9/6. Very much looking forward to seeing Omaha.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:25 AM

380 posts, read 1,004,884 times
You will like it here! Good luck with your search. I hope Omaha brings you what you are seeking. I think once you visit you will be making the arrangements to move!

Old 09-07-2016, 08:07 PM

My family and I were up in Omaha from the 1st-5th and had a fantastic visit. The weather could not have been better for our stay and we got to get out and do a lot of doing and seeing while in town. Hit the zoo, farmers market, Heartland of America park and looked at a few neighborhoods and houses. I also visited with an employer that I have been going back and forth with over the past month and a half and got a job offer out of the trip that is a good sized professional advancement, which I gladly accepted. We are putting our house here in TX on the market this weekend and will officially become residents of Omaha, NE, in 3 weeks time.

Looking forward to the change!

Old 09-08-2016, 08:25 AM

355 posts, read 569,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahawes View Post
My family and I were up in Omaha from the 1st-5th and had a fantastic visit. The weather could not have been better for our stay and we got to get out and do a lot of doing and seeing while in town. Hit the zoo, farmers market, Heartland of America park and looked at a few neighborhoods and houses. I also visited with an employer that I have been going back and forth with over the past month and a half and got a job offer out of the trip that is a good sized professional advancement, which I gladly accepted. We are putting our house here in TX on the market this weekend and will officially become residents of Omaha, NE, in 3 weeks time.

Looking forward to the change!
Wow, great trip. Congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: