Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 03:52 PM

63 posts, read 45,575 times

Advertisements

Hi folks!

So, I want to be "close to the action", but I also like my immediate living area to be relatively green/serene. I'd like to be, at most, within a ten minute drive or so (no freeway) of a happening area -- preferably the happening area, whatever that is in Omaha. Any suggestions?!

Here's a separate (but possibly related) question: Is there an area of Omaha where artsy folks tend to hang out, more-so than others?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 05:27 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwellerofCities View Post
Hi folks!

So, I want to be "close to the action", but I also like my immediate living area to be relatively green/serene. I'd like to be, at most, within a ten minute drive or so (no freeway) of a happening area -- preferably the happening area, whatever that is in Omaha. Any suggestions?!

Here's a separate (but possibly related) question: Is there an area of Omaha where artsy folks tend to hang out, more-so than others?

Thanks in advance!
Sounds like Benson or Midtown would be your best bet.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Sounds like Benson or Midtown would be your best bet.
Thanks a lot, McBain! Curious how you'd define the boundaries for midtown, since it seems to differ on Wikipedia versus Google maps. Wikipedia says, "bordered on the north by Davenport Street, the south by Pacific Street, the east by I-480, and west by 48th street", whereas here's what Google maps shows: https://goo.gl/oZLDd3. Is there a particular boundary or area that you think would fit the whole "green/serene" thing?

Also, are both of these areas pretty central for artsy folks, or just one of the two?

Thanks again!

Old 10-23-2016, 06:26 PM

I'd say the Wikipedia version is more accurate. The Google Maps one seems a little small.

The "artsy" types are probably more toward Benson, though both areas should have plenty.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
I'd say the Wikipedia version is more accurate. The Google Maps one seems a little small.

The "artsy" types are probably more toward Benson, though both areas should have plenty.
Sweet, thanks again! By "artsy types", I guess I'm more-so alluding to actual arts scene/culture and associated artists (which is my passion and avocation), as opposed to a code word for "hipster" -- though I know there tends to be a lot of overlap there. Let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree. Thanks again.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:15 PM

482 posts, read 1,331,155 times
Benson and the Old Market would be the artsy areas of the city. Both have galleries, venues, and theatres as well as first fridays. The Old Market has a more mature arts scene with places like the Blue Barn, Keneko, and the Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts. Benson is more known for great live music venues such as The Waiting Room, Reverb Lounge, and The Barley Street. It is also the more hipsterish spot of the two.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:39 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
You can also include Dundee in your search. It's very green, close to Benson, and when the Dundee Theater reopens it will be a bit more artsy than it is right now.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:35 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,398 times
Benson, Dundee, Little Italy, Midtown, Gold Coast, Gifford Park, Happy Hallow, Aksarben, Field Club.

Just a quick list. In general look east of 72nd, south of Maple, north of Vinton. That whole area isn't really all that big and has a lot of options in a lot of different price points.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwellerofCities View Post
Sweet, thanks again! By "artsy types", I guess I'm more-so alluding to actual arts scene/culture and associated artists (which is my passion and avocation), as opposed to a code word for "hipster" -- though I know there tends to be a lot of overlap there. Let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree. Thanks again.
I'd still say Benson and the Midtown area. Downtown would work too but you'd pretty much be hemmed into condos or apartments so keep that in mind.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the helpful input, everyone! It sounds like there are a lot of options. It sounds like Benson is a great option for live music -- any other suggestions on the live music front?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: