Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 07:55 AM

4 posts, read 14,613 times

Advertisements

I am a Senior Manager who was released from GM (General Motors...now Goverment Motors) due to their bankruptcy. No jobs in Michigan. Just accepted an offer to work in the Omaha area at half my original pay. We are having to walk away from our house and file for bankruptcy ....a clean start...it is what it is!! Moving on and moving forward....I know I will have to work with people to overcome the bankruptcy issue, never late once for anything until this happened. But everyone keeps saying we aren't the only one's in this situation. My job will cause me to travel in Nebraska and Iowa so the location needs to be central to both...Omaha, Lincoln, Council Bluffs....?

We loved in Sioux Falls, SD for a time and loved it there. Looking forward to Omaha....I chose to move there over similiar jobs in Illinois, Louisana, New Mexico, and Ohio. I will be living with a friend in Iowa untill we find something and move out...October?

We are going to be visiting Omaha in the next two weeks to start looking for townhouses / houses to rent. 2-3BDRMs . Just wife and I and our two dogs & an African Gray parrot. She has allgeries so it can't be an older home or fixer-upper. Whatever fits in a 28 footer goes, whatever doesn't, stays. Kinda feels like a settler in the 1800's with a wagon moving West. We are both 50 yrs old but look and act 35-40 ( I play 4 hockey games a week...sometimes 3 in a night). Our children are grown so it is our time to enjoy life.

Any suggestions on locations? A good realitor who knows about rentals? Homes for rent? Townhouses for rent?

BTW....I am an avid Inline and Ice hockey player. Any suggestions there as well would be welcome. Also a mountain biker.

Any help would be appreciated. Looking forward to "starting over"....less stress, simplify, etc.

Last edited by bobbiepelle; 07-01-2009 at 08:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 02:56 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
First quesiton... are you looking for Urban, Suburban, Rural, or Small Town... All 4 enviornments are available.

Any of those that you specifically want (or specifically want to avoid).

Based on that answer I'd have some suggestions of maybe where to start looking (and what to avoid)...

Old 07-03-2009, 04:36 AM

4 posts, read 14,613 times
We are open to all four options. I can live anywhere but am trying to stay in the Omaha/Lincoln areas.. middle between the far ends of nebraska and Iowa. We have two Jack Russells and an English Setter. Most apartments we have seen seem to take up to two small pets. Our best bet may be renting a house. Our first year budget is for rent under $800/month.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:10 AM

9 posts, read 17,797 times
Default Good Areas

$800 can get you some pretty nice rentals in Omaha. Try craigslist. Midtown/Dundee/Elmwood/Aksarban is nice and offers all you are looking for. I'm a midtown/downtown girl at heart! West Omaha has the newer "chain" shops, restraunts, new developements, etc. Personally I prefer the local shoping and eateries as well as homes with some personality. Hope this helps!

Old 08-05-2009, 10:44 AM

109 posts, read 257,129 times
It will be tough to find a newer (1990 or newer) 3 bedroom houses for $800/month, especially in West Omaha but if you want to be close to Omaha and Lincoln look at Gretna, but i do not know the prices there for what you are looking for. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha