Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 02:56 PM

762 posts, read 1,749,529 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I've been reading a little bit about Omaha today, after seeing it on a list of most affordable places to live. Found this 2007 article, focusing on Omaha's music and art scene, from the NY Times and am wondering what those of you who live in Omaha think about it:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2007/03/2...k.omaha.t.html

[I didn't know Conor Oberst is from Omaha!]
  • Do you think his was an accurate view of Omaha at the time?
  • How has the city's cultural offerings changed since then?
  • Do you think Omaha is still a place where artists, artisans, musicians, and creative people of various ilk would feel comfortable, inspired, supported, etc.?
  • What would you add to the article as an update?
Thanks, in advance, for your insights!
PS - FYI, I'm on my cellphone and couldn't find a non-mobile link on the page -- sorry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 03:27 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
I don't know anything about the music and art scene in Omaha, but I can say that the rest of the article is good. The celebrities they mentioned are only a few of the stars born in Omaha. Omaha is also the career starting point for Johnny Carson, Tom Brokaw, and others.

I do know a few New Yorkers that moved here for business reasons and after they retired they decided to stay here instead of moving back.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:53 PM

Well, it doesn't matter to me which famous people came from Omaha, or anywhere else I'm researching, actually. I live in NYC now and it's not uncommon to see celebrities in the street, subways, restaurants, etc. It's interesting, who came from where, but not important to me, really.

My questions aren't really about the personalities, but are more about the atmosphere there for creative people and the entrepreneurial spirit. I read in a few different places that Omahans don't appreciate when anyone stands out from the crowd and dares to be different, so I thought the article was interesting in that sense. I would put it on my list of possibilities for relocation if I knew there was not only an appreciation of the arts, but encouragement for artistic/creative endeavors and entrepreneurship.

Any more opinions on it?

Old 01-29-2017, 06:38 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
Your OP asked what locals thought of the article, that's what I answered.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:48 PM

173 posts, read 345,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Well, it doesn't matter to me which famous people came from Omaha, or anywhere else I'm researching, actually. I live in NYC now and it's not uncommon to see celebrities in the street, subways, restaurants, etc. It's interesting, who came from where, but not important to me, really
You may not find it interesting, but other people do. In a place like New York where many famous people live and work,it that may not be such a big deal if someone once lived in the same city or state you live in, but in the midwest, it is.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:36 AM

149 posts, read 226,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Well, it doesn't matter to me which famous people came from Omaha, or anywhere else I'm researching, actually. I live in NYC now and it's not uncommon to see celebrities in the street, subways, restaurants, etc. It's interesting, who came from where, but not important to me, really.

My questions aren't really about the personalities, but are more about the atmosphere there for creative people and the entrepreneurial spirit. I read in a few different places that Omahans don't appreciate when anyone stands out from the crowd and dares to be different, so I thought the article was interesting in that sense. I would put it on my list of possibilities for relocation if I knew there was not only an appreciation of the arts, but encouragement for artistic/creative endeavors and entrepreneurship.

Any more opinions on it?
While I think there is a clear division among those who 'stand out' from the crowds and those who fall in line with them I think there is a place for each type here in Omaha. In the area mentioned in this article, the Old Market area, the art scene and counterculture atmosphere is very much alive and the accepted norm. Not too far from that area are many corporate office type buildings and the two areas come together pretty seamlessly. In the time I've spent in the Old Market on weekends you can definitely sense that it's much different than the suburbs that I live in on the west end of the city, but one area is not exclusive to the inhabitants of the other, if that makes sense.

I think the only items that jump out to me as maybe not the same 10 years later is that the Old Market area has probably gotten markedly more expensive to live in, though still maybe not expensive by NY standards. I would say that the 'art' scene is still very much alive and thriving in that part of the city. There is a very welcoming attitude in that part so to answer your question I think the encouragement for artistic and creative endeavors is very much still in place.

I recommend it to everyone who asks but catch a flight to Omaha and check the city out! There are a lot of things here to make a trip worth your while. If you've got any more specific questions you can feel free to ask here or message me and I'll do my best to answer them.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Your OP asked what locals thought of the article, that's what I answered.
No, that's not correct. I did not ask for simply a general opinion on the article. I asked these specific questions:
  • Do you think his was an accurate view of Omaha at the time?
  • How has the city's cultural offerings changed since then?
  • Do you think Omaha is still a place where artists, artisans, musicians, and creative people of various ilk would feel comfortable, inspired, supported, etc.?
  • What would you add to the article as an update?
I'm an arts-oriented and very independent person, and the above questions are important to me. In my subsequent post, I also asked about entrepreneurship and whether it can thrive in Omaha.

Just clarifying further. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayman29 View Post
You may not find it interesting, but other people do. In a place like New York where many famous people live and work,it that may not be such a big deal if someone once lived in the same city or state you live in, but in the midwest, it is.
But that is not the information I am seeking. I did not ask about celebrities. I am looking for specific info on the music and arts scene in Omaha, related to the article I read. Please refer to the link to the article, which I included in my initial post, and re-read my bulleted list for clarification. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahawes View Post
While I think there is a clear division among those who 'stand out' from the crowds and those who fall in line with them I think there is a place for each type here in Omaha. In the area mentioned in this article, the Old Market area, the art scene and counterculture atmosphere is very much alive and the accepted norm. Not too far from that area are many corporate office type buildings and the two areas come together pretty seamlessly. In the time I've spent in the Old Market on weekends you can definitely sense that it's much different than the suburbs that I live in on the west end of the city, but one area is not exclusive to the inhabitants of the other, if that makes sense.

I think the only items that jump out to me as maybe not the same 10 years later is that the Old Market area has probably gotten markedly more expensive to live in, though still maybe not expensive by NY standards. I would say that the 'art' scene is still very much alive and thriving in that part of the city. There is a very welcoming attitude in that part so to answer your question I think the encouragement for artistic and creative endeavors is very much still in place.

I recommend it to everyone who asks but catch a flight to Omaha and check the city out! There are a lot of things here to make a trip worth your while. If you've got any more specific questions you can feel free to ask here or message me and I'll do my best to answer them.
Aaahh, thank you for your very insightful reply. Your answer is exactly the kind of information I'm seeking. And yes, it makes sense. I'd love to learn more about that area and the arts scene in Omaha. Unfortunately, I am not able to hop on a flight anytime soon, so I am doing preliminary research online. I'm planning to sell everything I own and get out of NYC. I will buy an RV or some sort of camper van to travel around OR relocate to a smaller, more affordable city. I love many towns and cities that sit on the Atlantic shore, but I really want a change and to live somewhere that doesn't break the bank. I'm tired of struggling just to pay my rent and having nothing left over to enjoy all the things NYC offers. Plus, it's become a much noisier place, and is all too often under orange alert, being a prime terrorist target. I want to live somewhere more peaceful but not too sleepy. It's got to have a lot of life and creativity for me to not feel bored and uninspired. After I narrow my choices down, I plan to visit a few places and spend some time in each, before I decide where I will wind up.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:20 AM

149 posts, read 226,275 times
Citychik, what kind of work do you do to pay the bills? I won't say that Omaha is the epicenter of all things inspiring or anything like that but there is a lot to do here year around, much of it for free or cheap. This part of the Midwest has a ton of 'Americana' so to speak, the things to do aren't necessarily going to just come and find you all the time but if you're on the lookout there are plenty of things to occupy yourself with. The bar scene here is supposed to be pretty fun, though with a 2 year old at home I've not gone out to see it for myself.

I've traveled a large chunk of the US, lived in CA, AZ, UT, TX, and now NE and this place has as much to offer those who live here as anywhere I've lived, mountains and ocean aside. I can see how living here could at times feel like you're on an island because it's Omaha and Lincoln and really not much else for a couple hours in any direction.

As long as you're not hung up on living IN the Old Market, you can live an easy-to-travel distance from that part of town at a very reasonable price. You strike me as someone with no plans for kids in the immediate future so schools should likely be of no concern to you, because they generally suck in the more affordable parts of the city. There are over 120 miles of paved walking/biking/running trails all through Omaha so getting around can be pretty inexpensive.

You might also check out Council Bluffs, IA, which is right across the river from the part of Omaha you seem interested in. It's pretty inexpensive on that side of the river though many people in Omaha hold a low opinion of the area. The Bob Kerrey pedestrian bridge runs across the river making for easy travel back and forth as well.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:51 PM

Hi again,
I have lots of different kinds of experience, mostly admin-, service-, and sales-oriented with some manager positions as well, and I'm in the process of starting some online business endeavors. So there's another question - how is the internet connectivity in the Omaha area?

I read somewhere that bars can stay open until 2am in Omaha. That's a relief to me, not necessarily because I'd want to stay out late every night (though I might occasionally), but I really don't want to live in a place where they roll up the sidewalks at 10pm. I'm in my 50s and my attitude and outlook is youthful, and I would want to actively date, so I'd prefer to live somewhere that is conducive to meeting people (though not exclusively people in their 50s). Nope, LOL, no kids. I've been blissfully child-free by choice my entire life!

I wondered about Council Bluffs, but haven't come across many positive posts about it here at City-Data.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:34 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,199 times
The music scene is really strong, especially for a smaller city. The local "indie" scene is located mostly in the Benson neighborhood, check out The Waiting Room, Reverb and Barley St Tavern for live music. Elsewhere in North Downtown is The Slowdown, it is a music venue opened by the Saddle Creek Records people that is now connected with The Knitting Factory for bookings. Larger shows go to Sokol Auditorium or do outdoor shows in the summer at a few solid amphitheaters. Omaha is pretty good at free concerts in the summer too.

The arts and culture are supported in Omaha IMO. Bemis Art Center and Kaneko Studios offer modern art exhibits in the Old Market and the Joslyn Art Museum is a really nice traditional art museum. The Orpheum gets plenty of traveling broadway shows and the Holland Performing Arts Center is an incredible venue. Smaller theater include the Omaha Community Playhouse, which is the largest community theater in the nation and a local professional company called Blue Barn Theater that opened a really cool 100 seat theater.

Really Benson sounds like it would be right up your alley. Omaha really isn't that big though, you could live anywhere east of 72nd and be fairly close to all the areas that I think fit what you seem to be looking for.

Look into Benson, Dundee, Old Market, Blackstone neighborhoods to start. Those will give you a good idea of offerings in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha