Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 06:00 PM

8 posts, read 59,647 times

Advertisements

As much as I was in arcades growing up in Omaha (70s-80s), my parents never took any photos inside one Do any of you have old arcade photos?

Some of the arcades I used to go all the time:

Yada's (used to be next to the Drawing Room in Millard)
Western Bowl (Still there, in Millard)
Dragons Lair 108th & Q
Skateland 108th & Q
Peony Park Arcade
WC Franks Millard Plaza
I think a putt-putt golf place on corner of 72nd and center?
Showbiz Pizza
Happy Joes Pizza
Kart Ranch

Let's see your old arcade photos

Last edited by Millard Mike; 12-14-2010 at 06:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 01:59 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Don't have any photos, but I remember WC Franks pretty well. They had pretty good food and a decent arcade selection. I wish I would have went there more often, but they were pretty far out west and closed down in the late 90's I believe...a few years before I could drive.

For many years there was an arcade inside Mall of the Bluffs. It was still going strong into the early 2000's when I left for Florida, but when I checked the mall directory I didn't see it listed. I don't believe it was a big chain arcade and unfortunately can't remember the name.

Family Fun Center on 72nd and Dodge is still there as well. I spent alot of time there as a kid in the early to mid 90's.

Edit: I found this picture. Obviously not what you were probably looking for, but I get points for effort right?

Last edited by McBain II; 12-15-2010 at 02:09 AM..

Old 12-15-2010, 02:13 AM

Also, there was a bowling alley on the top floor of the Center Mall (42nd and Center...catty corner to the VA Hospital) that had a decent arcade from what I can recall. I think that bowling alley lasted until about 2001.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:34 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
I killed a lot of time in that W.C. Franks during my high school years.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:45 PM

76 posts, read 142,391 times
I remember a WC Franks on 90th and Maple
Of course Family Fun Center, used to go there all the time....still do every once in a great while
Alladin's at Westroads waaaaay back in the day.

No pics, though....

Old 12-16-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Weston View Post
Alladin's at Westroads waaaaay back in the day.

No pics, though....
That's one I forgot! I don't remember the one at Westroads, but I do remember the one at Crossroads on the 2nd level right across from the food court. That one probably lasted until 1997 or so, because I'm pretty certain that when we were there Christmas shopping in 1999, it was already closed up.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:26 PM

I believe this is the spot where Alladin's was.

The Forgotten Crossroads Mall - 2 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nyataylor/2938942363/ - broken link) by Nya Taylor (http://www.flickr.com/people/nyataylor/ - broken link), on Flickr

Old picture of an Alladin's Castle from a different mall...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nyataylor/2938942363/ (broken link)

Old 12-17-2010, 01:37 AM

262 posts, read 1,025,794 times
Wasn't there a WCFranks in the Bel Air shopping plaza (northwest corner of 120th and Center)? The building is still there (it's the closest one of the intersection, across the parking lot from Nobbies).

There was also an arcade at 90th and Center, right next to where Putt-Putt used to be. It's now a gigantic empty lot of nothing, and a complete waste of prime real estate. I think the building lasted a lot longer than the arcade itself. It was only demolished a few years ago. I'm not old enough to have been in the place though. I just remember it sitting vacant for most of my childhood.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighusker View Post
Wasn't there a WCFranks in the Bel Air shopping plaza (northwest corner of 120th and Center)? The building is still there (it's the closest one of the intersection, across the parking lot from Nobbies).
I ran this and the other supposed W.C Franks locations through Google Street View and I believe this is the right one. I specifically remember that the plaza I remember was sort of dug into a small hill so when you drove by, you were basically looking down at it. Bel Air Plaza fits that description.

Maybe there were other W.C Franks at other locations, but this is the one I seem to remember.

Quote:
There was also an arcade at 90th and Center, right next to where Putt-Putt used to be. It's now a gigantic empty lot of nothing, and a complete waste of prime real estate. I think the building lasted a lot longer than the arcade itself. It was only demolished a few years ago. I'm not old enough to have been in the place though. I just remember it sitting vacant for most of my childhood.
From 1999

Current

Old 12-17-2010, 08:40 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,425 times
Great post, SoCal

I wish I had photos of the arcades I grew up in. The big one for me was Fun Factory in Hastings (and in Grand Island too). I dragged my parents to that place every single time we were in Hastings. Sadly, it closed about 13-14 years ago and the rest of the Imperial Mall is nearly abandoned aside from a couple of large anchor stores.

I also have great memories of various WC Franks. One in Hastings, the one in Grand Island and one in Lincoln too. Today if I need an arcade fix my only real option is Family Fun Center, which still has a handful of classics like Joust and Missile Command.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha