Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 09:27 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,922,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz_iii View Post
Lol. Sounds hot. I’m coming from the suburbs outside of Philadelphia, so it’s a mix of all different types of people. I hear people are supposed to be nice in the Midwest. But they say the same about Canada and the first thing I saw there was a bar fight. We’ll see how it goes.

If you're from Philadelphia, it will be a culture shock. Even our lowlifes in this part of the country will seem like an uptick for you. It felt odd rooting against a football team just because of it's fans despite being very tired of the New England dynasty.

My guess is that you'll like the Omaha area. I would actually look into living in some of the smaller towns outside of the city, especially on the Iowa side (lower taxes). Freeway access into this town is better than almost any city I've been to of this size.

Dating scene here has got to be easier than in very large metro areas. My son lives there and hasn't had issues finding dates. Just finding the right person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 04:57 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlight- View Post
Okay so I am losing my mind in this ****ty state. I do not get how women operate here. it is near impossible to find someone to date. It seems like almost every girl is socially awkward or just mentally disturbed in this state. It could be a Nebraskan thing.. I do not know. I have lived in different states and I had no trouble meeting women. In fact, a lot of women find me attractive except in this weird state. For some reason even the average girls think they're too good for everyone. I just do not get what is going on! Like do I have to look like a hillbilly or something to be attractive here? That is one more reason to make Nebraska a more horrible state. I thought dating would compensate for the lack of life and entertainment here since all people do is drink but obviously even dating is not an option.
Let's start out with a couple facts:

1) The Omaha metropolitan area is about 1 million people.

2) The people in Omaha are not significantly different then those in other American cities

With those two facts in mind--and I hate to be the bearer of bad news--if you can't find quality dates, the problem is with you and not the other people.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:48 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
The social culture is more traditional/conservative in the Great Plains states compared to other areas of the country. The rural influences definitely extend more to the metropolitan areas. People tend to settle down, get married, or have kids at younger ages. Meaning, it is much more difficult for single people older than mid to late 20s. You have many people that have already been married at least once or have one or more kids. In other parts of the country, there is a much higher percentage of singles at older ages that haven't been married or have never had kids period.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The social culture is more traditional/conservative in the Great Plains states compared to other areas of the country. The rural influences definitely extend more to the metropolitan areas. People tend to settle down, get married, or have kids at younger ages. Meaning, it is much more difficult for single people older than mid to late 20s. You have many people that have already been married at least once or have one or more kids. In other parts of the country, there is a much higher percentage of singles at older ages that haven't been married or have never had kids period.
Do you have any actual data to back this up? I've lived in two completely different metropolitan areas (Omaha and Tampa) and my first hand experience says otherwise.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:26 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Do you have any actual data to back this up? I've lived in two completely different metropolitan areas (Omaha and Tampa) and my first hand experience says otherwise.
Differences between states are more statistically significant, data still weighted heavily toward metropolitan areas as they make up a large percentage majority of the population.

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/average...iage-by-state/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...fertility_rate

Old 02-10-2018, 03:17 PM

16 posts, read 24,523 times
caz_iii:

My observation from living here for a dozen years (originally from Westchester County, NY) is that people (women) are nice enough once you can break through, but not as worldly as you are probably used to. Not trying to be insulting at all. Living in the plains generally means that people don't have easy access to more sophisticated experiences that people from the coasts have fairly regularly, if not in their everyday life. It seems to me that not many people travel much outside the midwest very extensively. Many residents originate from right here in Nebraska and it is just a different experience and exposure than what you are likely used to. I think it may make a difference on where you live and where you hang out.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:59 AM

6 posts, read 12,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
It felt odd rooting against a football team just because of it's fans despite being very tired of the New England dynasty.
Haha. Yes, Eagles fanbase is the worst in the NFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Dating scene here has got to be easier than in very large metro areas. My son lives there and hasn't had issues finding dates. Just finding the right person.
That's all I could ask for. I'm 23 and not looking to settle down or get into anything serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaumontPark View Post
caz_iii:

My observation from living here for a dozen years (originally from Westchester County, NY) is that people (women) are nice enough once you can break through, but not as worldly as you are probably used to. Not trying to be insulting at all. Living in the plains generally means that people don't have easy access to more sophisticated experiences that people from the coasts have fairly regularly, if not in their everyday life. It seems to me that not many people travel much outside the midwest very extensively. Many residents originate from right here in Nebraska and it is just a different experience and exposure than what you are likely used to. I think it may make a difference on where you live and where you hang out.
Maybe being worldly will give me a slight advantage lol. Here's what my experience has been in Philadelphia for anyone who is curious: I seem to get way better results at night in Philly than during the day / at night in the suburbs where I currently live. During the day, I find that most women are approachable, but there's just no way of knowing whether they are interested or where they are at in life. Also, it probably has a lot to do with the fact that most people are usually busy shopping or running errands. One girl I brought home at night said, "Honestly, if you came up to me in a grocery store, I probably will tell you I have a boyfriend or I'm not interested." So environment does have something to do with it. On weekend nights a lot of college age people go out to blow of steam. It's usually very clique focused (groups of friends or acquaintances) which makes it a bit easier as long as you have some friends to go out with. You'll see people from New York, Jersey and sometimes Delaware or Maryland come out. And there is quite a range of very friendly and super nice women to exceptionally rude, but hey, that's people in general I guess.

For now, I'm focusing on the new job and getting my rent paid. Any women in my life is just a bonus. If dating in Nebraska is any easier than Philadelphia than woohoo, but it's not a huge deal.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Differences between states are more statistically significant, data still weighted heavily toward metropolitan areas as they make up a large percentage majority of the population.

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/average...iage-by-state/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...fertility_rate
Statewide data isn't very useful for this. At best, we can draw some weak inferences and assumptions. You'll need data limited to metropolitan areas if you want to make your case.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:50 PM

5 posts, read 9,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Expectations have been raised across the board, and that's been true for both genders but it seems especially true for women. We can thank the media: magazines, movies, television, etc.

How high was the bar set with garbage shows like "Sex in the City", let alone the hundreds out there which subliminally message women that if they need to only go for the 6'4" lean, muscular, (pick your favorite hair color), blue eyed doctor/lawyer and that "settling" for anything "less" is the end of the world.

How many women reach their mid-30's childless and washed up because they keep trying to find some mythical 11 when they could've easily "settled" for a fantastic '7' of a guy who would've made a wonderful husband & father to her children? My guess is that you'll find that situation in the millions now.

It's all hogwash, but society is definitely feeling the brunt of it. Just look at our birth rates. I would've supposed things are better in the mid-west, but by your post it seems the media poison has spread there too.

And hey, I know some of all this may sound "harsh" to some of the people reading this but don't shoot the messenger here, just observe the world around us a little more and it'll become clear.
You are so right! What i hate the most is the girls who think they are entitled to model looking guys, muscular, blah blah when those girls can't even meet half of the long list of qualifications they have! Where is the logic here? I guess women are conditioned that they get to be too picky no matter what just because, you know, have vaginas.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:52 PM

5 posts, read 9,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I am so glad myself, or my kids never bothered with 'dating'.... there are so many more rich ways to develop and nurture lasting relationships. Nebraska has some unique venues that would make for great times!

At age 30... you are about 12 yrs behind the 'social bent for 'dating''. (Certainly wasn't good at age 18 (or age 12) either!)

You're 'Burning Daylight', 'spinning your wheels', 'striking OUT'... Time to step out in front of that process and not get hit by the train
I am actually only 25. I do not believe Nebraska has good venues at all. It is very hard to find a venue that does not involve their favorite hobby, drinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha