Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 09:23 PM

6 posts, read 17,933 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for all of the replies. We have looked into the winter park area in FL along with Windermere. We are heading down to Tampa this winter to check it out. Why would you guys rank Tampa over Winter park area? Does it have less crime? Better traffic? Or just the overall feel of it?

I never thought about the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. I will definitely have to check that out. And being close to an international airport would be amazing!!! Never been to that area, accept on a layover. Can anyone tell me how similar Ft. Worth is to Omaha in regards to crime, friendliness of people, schools, etc?

And as far as green, I meant similar to Omaha in regards to trees etc. just not too desert ish.

Thanks everyone for all of your helpful replies! And Garthur I laughed really hard at your NE slogan!! Haha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 06:10 AM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Check Madison, Alabama. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison,_Alabama

Old 11-29-2018, 05:27 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Fort Worth, Texas.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:42 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
I lived in the Dallas/Ft Worth area for a number of years. South Lake is nice. But watch for we're the planes fly over from the DFW airport. I lived in Grapevine, next door to South Lake. I've heard the public school for the South Lake is very good. But, with your kind if income is private school a option. Your going to need a pool to get through the summers!! They are hot hot hot.
Btw. I'm from Minnesota and did miss the seasons here. I considered the seasons in DFW either hot or cold/brown or green with out much in between.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:59 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
OP, check out the Fayetteville, Arkansas area. Milder 4 season climate, beautiful scenery, booming economy, affordable, low crime rate. The metro area has around 500,000 now.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:54 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,193,711 times
To be honest, Omaha is what it is due to its location, for better or worse.

There are plenty of neat locations in the south, but you will encounter either n inexpensive ghetto or an expensive enclave. The inexpensive enclaves like Omaha are due to location, the cost of living would be much, much higher if you added the draw of a nice january.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:54 AM

226 posts, read 576,335 times
Similar to Omaha (size), but warmer? All the major cities in FL are bigger than Omaha. I agree with Fort Worth, and maybe Albuquerque.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:12 AM

92 posts, read 127,995 times
Nobody would move to Tampa or anywhere in Florida for good education. But if u do not like being active outside and like hot and very very humid weather 10 months per year, than Tampa area is for u

Old 08-05-2019, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,907 times
I find that many of the people who move south just trade huddling indoors in the heat all winter for huddling indoors in the A/C all summer.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:53 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I've done extensive traveling for business and for personal reasons. All 50 states have been visited. I don't live in Omaha, I live in Eastern Nebraska, but I was raised in Omaha. Every place I visited, I looked at it as a possible retirement location. After 40 years of this, I retired and decided that there was no place comparable to Nebraska. I'm retired here.

Ask any police officer and they will tell you that crime is prevalent in warmer months and climates. The cold keeps crime low.

What most don't know is that the only area the comparable to Omaha but yet has a warmer climate is Rapid City SD. Yes they are warmer then here.

Nebraska isn't for everyone, (I heard that somewhere).
You sir win the prize.

The problem is the plains states have some of the worst weather you can have in the winter.

My Father's wife grew up in Nebraska but came to Baltimore County for work, and education in the 70's. She has no desire to go back, (She does visit relatives during the year). I believe she grew up on a farm outside of Omaha.

I think the OP needs to look at a place that does not get the kind of weather you get out there in the winter. Milder, not as cold.

I know the thread is old so hopefully they made the right decision for themselves.

(I hate the heat, none of the places the OP mentioned would have any appeal to me whatsoever, not to mention the issues that warm climates pose beyond vagrancy)

Last edited by Digger 68; 08-07-2019 at 05:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: