Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 12:56 AM

14,561 posts, read 22,965,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
What you sent doesn't say whether the law is for rental property's and whether it's for government owned or privately own property's.
It is the landlord/tenant law of the Nebraska State Statutes. It covers all rentals unless specifically exempted by the statute.

Quote:
It also states that they can enter if it's an emergency at any time with no notice. (what is an emergency) maybe an emergency is just suspected emergency (which it can be).
An emergency is just that; an emergency. A situation so dire that it would not be reasonable to expect them to delay. Think along the lines of a fire or flooding.

Quote:
Maintenance people are just hires or contractors and I doubt they would know state laws even if the law was written correctly which it isn't.
They are bound to it whether they know it or not.

Quote:
They entered my apartment without notice and they could do it to anyone. When they came into my apartment and put new carpet into every room, the only way I knew some one was in my apartment was that just a few small items had been moved in the kitchen. I went to the managers to find out if they had come into my apartment or was I a victim of crime. The managers had to check their records and found that 3 months before (one month before I moved in) they had contracted a local carpet company to do the work. The maintenance guy let them in because they were their with their crew.
Yes, you had your rights violated by an incompetent property manager.

Quote:
Here's the point to take from this, even if the law is understandable and well written doesn't mean that they won't break it.
This part is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 05:59 AM

117 posts, read 91,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altajoe View Post
Do you have a CCW permit from Idaho? If so, you have reciprocity in Nebraska. If you don;t, I suggest you get one in Nebraska. As the last poster said, it simplifies everything.
No, I never got a CCW permit in Idaho, because over there, you can conceal carry without one if you're over 21 ( they're working on a law to make it over 18 - yikes ).

The thing is, I don't carry it, anyway. Even in ID, never carried it,.. it's always been strictly a home-defense thing.

Just want it to be legal in NE as a home-defense weapon.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:08 AM

323 posts, read 957,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveburbank View Post
No, I never got a CCW permit in Idaho, because over there, you can conceal carry without one if you're over 21 ( they're working on a law to make it over 18 - yikes ).

The thing is, I don't carry it, anyway. Even in ID, never carried it,.. it's always been strictly a home-defense thing.

Just want it to be legal in NE as a home-defense weapon.
The point is that the CCW is comprehensive. You take the course (and pass). Then there is a background check. Assuming that you pass that as well, you are given a permit to conceal carry for 5 years. It also allows you to; purchase a handgun, transport, not have to register (in places where a registration is necessary for those without the CCW) and have reciprocity with a large number of states.

I'd venture to say that a large number of people with the CCW (me included) do no carry, but have the permit for the other reason above, and naturally for the education in firearm safety and knowledge of the laws as they pertain to having and using.

If you choose not to obtain a CCW, then yes, you must register the gun with the Omaha Police Department. You didn't ask, but to close the loop, you would also need to obtain a Purchase Certificate from the Sheriff's Department if you wanted to buy a gun.

Here is a link that explains everything: https://police.cityofomaha.org/servi...n-registration

Old 05-20-2019, 02:43 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,298,259 times
I would recommend a CCW just for the training. At least in my, give by a Nebraska state trooper, we were taught about the legal aspects of exposing your firearm or if you have to firing were firearm. He recommended getting a lawyer right away because no mater even if there is no criminal charges against you can still be dragged into legal court action by the family.

One of the advantages to have a CCW is purchasing a firearm is greatly simplified. I just had to show my CCW card and fill out some paper work and walk out the door. I was one of the first to get a CCW in Nebraska and have had to renew it twice now. Renewing in can be a hassle because I had to be refinger and palm printed and wait in a line at the state troopers station. Still well worth it.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:39 AM

10,339 posts, read 5,506,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altajoe View Post
Do you have a CCW permit from Idaho? If so, you have reciprocity in Nebraska. If you don;t, I suggest you get one in Nebraska. As the last poster said, it simplifies everything.

A CCW from Idaho would become invalid upon becoming a Nebraska resident.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:42 AM

34,119 posts, read 18,364,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Not trunk sales
Well in my state it is ILLEGAL to sell Handguns that way. They all must go through an FFL dealer with a Fed form 4437 and background check. Long guns may be privately transferred from and to people that are LEGALLY able to own a gun. If you are caught transferring a firearm to a prohibited person you will do Federal Jail Time.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:47 AM

10,339 posts, read 5,506,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Well in my state it is ILLEGAL to sell Handguns that way. They all must go through an FFL dealer with a Fed form 4437 and background check. Long guns may be privately transferred from and to people that are LEGALLY able to own a gun. If you are caught transferring a firearm to a prohibited person you will do Federal Jail Time.

I don't know about your state, but at the Federal level, this will only happen if you knowingly transfer to a prohibited person.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:02 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,820,473 times
AFAIK there is no STATE or FEDERAL law for Nebraska residents to REGISTER a firearm. However SOME cities have tried to pass such a Law but I believe the Nebraska Supreme Court ruled such ordinances unconstitutional.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:29 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,519,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
AFAIK there is no STATE or FEDERAL law for Nebraska residents to REGISTER a firearm. However SOME cities have tried to pass such a Law but I believe the Nebraska Supreme Court ruled such ordinances unconstitutional.

I think inside city limits of Omaha they still have their registration requirement and so far neither the courts or the Legislature have made it change. If you are even transporting inside the city limits there are some that argue the city law says it must be registered. The preemption to that is if you have your CCW, then the state did remove the registration requirement - which is why I think alot of folks that live in/around Omaha that don't plan to conceal carry still get the CCW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: