Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:15 AM

11 posts, read 114,876 times

Advertisements

I am relocating this month to Omaha/CB area, within 1 hour of Omaha would be just fine. My wife and four kids 7,6,2, and newborn are excited about the move, but I am wanting suggestings from folks on where to live. We are limited to around $200,000 for home price and would like to know the best bang for our buck in Omaha area and CB. Schools are very important to us as well. The other question I have is what is the real difference between Iowa and Nebraska when it comes to Taxes. Iowa people make it sound like thousands of dollars difference and Nebraskans make it sound like a few hundred. Can anyone assist me with these questions? Thanks, Moz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 07:49 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,066,666 times
Iowa taxes are less. But you'll get less for 'em. Personally, if I had a choice I'd much rather send my kid to an OPS, Millard or Papillion school. Some of the nicer Millard neighborhoods will be a little above 200k, but it's in that area. Omaha Schools are probably better than CB...but the surrounding school districts (Millard especially) are the best in the area.

Assuming you're commuting, where are you commuting to? For $200k you can get a pretty nice 3-4 bedroom house. I'd look at Papillion, Bellevue, or West Omaha/Millard.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:15 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,686 times
Yes, 200k will get you a pretty decent house in Omaha metro. I noticed you said 1 hour of Omaha, so I would also look at Blair, Ne or Glenwood, IA if you like smaller towns. Blair has about 7500-8000 people, while Glenwood is nearing 6000. Both are very close to the metro. They would have good schools and you can get even more bang for your buck there.

I did a really quick search and the first thing that came up was a cnnmoney article from 2005 and Iowa's state tax's take 10% of your income while Nebraska takes 10.9%. Heres the link if you want it, even though its from 2005.
CNNMoney.com: Taxes by state 2005, by rate

Old 04-21-2008, 09:51 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,617,619 times
As far as taxes the Nebraska side is better. My mom made the mistake of moving over to Iowa thinking she would save money but it ended up costing more. The main reason is that most people in Iowa work in Nebraska so they pay income tax to both states. Also some of there smaller taxes are paid more often than Nebraska's.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:47 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,552,699 times
with the 1 hour can also go west to Fremont and south to Waverly... lots of options with that side of a range from the metro.

This map might give you a general idea of what 1-hour of Omaha means.

Moving to Omaha/Council Bluffs Area-omaha-1-hour.bmp

Lots of choices with that range...

Are you looking for Urban, Suburban, Small Town, or Rural? All are available.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:15 PM

11 posts, read 114,876 times
Thank you for all the feedback so far. We have been avoiding the Omaha/Neb side due to everyone saying taxes would kill us. My work is finanical insurance so I mainly go to my clients office to do business and my work address is my home office. My territory covers IA, SD and NE so the Omaha area was a central point to drive from with the interstates.

The property taxes are what I am mainly concerned about, auto as well. I was concerned about NE taxes due to all the new construction and special projects Omaha seems to be doing now.

If we look into the Papillion and Millard areas are there certain developments that you might recommend we look into? Thanks, Moz

Old 04-22-2008, 09:40 PM

5 posts, read 16,543 times
Check this out before you pack

Nebraska Tax Burden Up And Away

Hey-don't shoot the messenger

Old 04-23-2008, 07:49 AM

475 posts, read 2,234,172 times
Eh... small price to pay... to live the Good Life.

As we've said before... the vast majority of your Nebraska property taxes go towards the local schools. We also rank among the very top nationally in standardized test scores. Yes... you do get what you paid for.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:16 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,198,223 times
Default total tax burden..

I love it when wowt comes up with an article like this, they have a lot of biase in them..

Read this, Nebraska is 22nd OVERALL tax burden:
The Tax Foundation - Nebraska's State and Local Tax Burden, 1970-2007

And OMaha's 9.5% burden is .4% higher than average:
CNNMoney.com: Big city taxes 2005, by rank

Don't forget that the burden is more than offset by the 'cost of living' which brings down how much of an impact these percentages bring..

Old 04-23-2008, 03:37 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,552,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
I love it when wowt comes up with an article like this, they have a lot of biase in them..

Read this, Nebraska is 22nd OVERALL tax burden:
The Tax Foundation - Nebraska's State and Local Tax Burden, 1970-2007

And OMaha's 9.5% burden is .4% higher than average:
CNNMoney.com: Big city taxes 2005, by rank

Don't forget that the burden is more than offset by the 'cost of living' which brings down how much of an impact these percentages bring..
You always bring a great perspective with facts.... thanks for that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha