Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 02:08 AM

171 posts, read 179,503 times

Advertisements

Is the omaha metro as long and wide as Minneapolis and St. Paul? I was looking at it on google earth and it looks like from Waterloo NE to Council Bluffs it's about 30 miles of continuous population. From Wayzeta to Woodbury it's about 30 miles. About the same as omaha.

Last edited by Apparel; 01-31-2020 at 02:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 09:31 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apparel View Post
Is the omaha metro as long and wide as Minneapolis and St. Paul? I was looking at it on google earth and it looks like from Waterloo NE to Council Bluffs it's about 30 miles of continuous population. From Wayzeta to Woodbury it's about 30 miles. About the same as omaha.
Omaha is very sprawling for its size, but population density overall is lower compared to most of the Twin Cities. Minneapolis has around 7,000 people per square mile in the city limits, Omaha is well less than half of that density in most cases, with suburban areas generally remaining about 1,500-2,500 people per square mile.

Old 01-31-2020, 08:40 PM

559 posts, read 1,323,071 times
Could be close, but MSP extends further west than Wayzeta and quite a distance from north to south.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:40 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apparel View Post
I'm very connected to both cities. I've been to both so many times I can't count it.

There is very little about Omaha that reminds me of the Twin Cities. Totally different vibe.

Omaha (other than North Omaha) reminds me more of a large Des Moines or Sioux Falls, SD. The Twin Cities with it's endless connected suburbs has a much bigger metro feel.

I enjoy both cities for different reasons. Clubbing in Omaha is actually better than in Minneapolis. Old Market in the summer is 'happening" and very safe. Walking the streets in Minneapolis about closing time in the downtown has actually turned very dangerous (reference the Minneapolis thread on City_Data).

The Twin Cities has all the major sports and arts scenes. Omaha's offering for both is the next step down, but still very entertaining. The exception being the College World Series which is a really big deal and very exciting.

I enjoy going to both cities. I would actually choose to live in the Omaha area before the Twin Cities, but that's just a personal preference. I like a small town atmosphere with a short commute to the larger adjacent city. You can have that in Omaha.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:27 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Walking the streets in Minneapolis about closing time in the downtown has actually turned very dangerous (reference the Minneapolis thread on City_Data).
Yep, and St. Paul is setting records for violent crime ever since Carter was elected. In his world fireworks on 4th of July are a no no, but murder rates going through the roof are nothing to worry about. Real shame, that is a beautiful city going to he** in a handbasket.

But to the OP's question, I would say metro MSP stretches further from north to south, depending on what one considers the "metro" to be. The current MSA definition goes from Faribault in southern Minnesota all the way to the south shore of Mille Lacs, which is roughly 130 miles. Even if you chop that in half in favor of a more conservative (and realistic) definition it's still a lot wider than any 2 points in the Omaha area. The MSA of MSP also stretches well into western Wisconsin to the east, FYI.

Old 02-02-2020, 02:52 PM

15 posts, read 24,456 times
In your title, you mentioned "vibe and people", but then you didn't bring it up again.

So . . . . vibe and people? Nope. No slam on Omaha, but of the Twin Cities (and you really have to compare metropolitan regions here) I would consider St. Paul closer in league with Omaha, not Minneapolis. I've had many work trips to both city and suburban clients of the Twin Cities and there definitely is a more developed arts, literary, transit, foodie, and live theatre scene in the Twin Cities, ostensibly by having roughly 3 times the population as the Omaha metro. Naturally, a population difference such as this between these two cities makes a difference to lifestyle and offerings. Omaha does very well for its size, but the Twin Cities is in a different tier.

Old 02-15-2020, 04:59 PM

559 posts, read 1,323,071 times
Just a few random thoughts on this: The people are pretty much the same in MSP vs Omaha, except the Twin Cities have more hipsters, ethnic groups and college students. For vibe, your comparing a metro of 3.6 million vs. 900K. I mean, Hennepin County alone has as many people as Omaha and Lincoln metros combined.

The Twin Cities have more hustle and bustle, traffic and transit and seems to be more out door orientated with the lakes and all the bike trails etc., although Omaha does have a good trail system. The Twin Cities have a much bigger Asian culture than many people from outside the area realize, and I don't believe there is much in the way of that in Omaha, at least from my experience. The Twin Cities airport has many more flights and connections. Downtown Omaha is lovely and definitely more laid back than Downtown Minneapolis. I enjoy Downtown Omaha and feel relaxed there. Minneapolis, being a larger city, gets more homeless and shady people walking around (not saying they're one in the same) and as clean as Minneapolis generally is, central Minneapolis feels dirtier than Downtown Omaha. Housing is less expensive in Omaha.

The suburban areas are generally similar except the housing developments feel different, not sure how to describe it. The Twin Cities have swaths of suburban areas that are more spread out and feel wealthier than much of suburban Omaha. A lot of Minneapolis suburbs had to be built around lakes and wetlands and aren't on the grid system like Omaha, however there are many dense areas in the Twin Cities suburbs, more so than you would find in urban Omaha. The Twin Cities are the center of pretty much everything Minnesota (capital, flagship University, economic, transportation, economic, State Fair) where as Nebraska is more distributed. I think this leaves some rural areas of Minnesota feeling more alienated from the metro than rural Nebraskan's would feel towards Omaha or Lincoln.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 12,224 times
No it is not. It is a very midwestern, very, forgive me, redneck town. Sometimes this is good and you meet kind real deal christians, and sometimes you meet aggressive hicks. Coming from the coast, I was shocked at the amount of aggressive hicks. I used to be a conservative, but after living in O-town I realized the liberals are nicer people. Sometimes passive aggressive and cold, but nicer people, overall. There are lots of good people in O-town but if you're looking for a place with a vibe similar to Minneapolis, may I suggest Chicago or even Detroit? Omaha is also overpriced for what you get. Apparently 10 years ago it was much cheaper.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:00 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noitisnot View Post
No it is not. It is a very midwestern, very, forgive me, redneck town. Sometimes this is good and you meet kind real deal christians, and sometimes you meet aggressive hicks. Coming from the coast, I was shocked at the amount of aggressive hicks. I used to be a conservative, but after living in O-town I realized the liberals are nicer people. Sometimes passive aggressive and cold, but nicer people, overall. There are lots of good people in O-town but if you're looking for a place with a vibe similar to Minneapolis, may I suggest Chicago or even Detroit? Omaha is also overpriced for what you get. Apparently 10 years ago it was much cheaper.
This statement is the opposite of some studies. I've always looked at Omaha as being a very economical place to live basing average pay vs cost of living. Only true negative is taxes are a little high, especially compared to neighboring Iowa and South Dakota.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/27/us-c...of-living.html

Your statement COMING FROM THE COAST tells me you showed up with an affliction known as a Superiority Complex. Very common. For the locals to appear as aggressive hicks one can only wonder how you presented yourself as a first impression.

I will agree with you that the 2 cities of Omaha & Minneapolis are not very similar. However, you can't compare the Twin Cities to Chicago. That's two cities with very little in common as to the lifestyle, the people living there, and general makeup of each metro.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 12,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
This statement is the opposite of some studies. I've always looked at Omaha as being a very economical place to live basing average pay vs cost of living. Only true negative is taxes are a little high, especially compared to neighboring Iowa and South Dakota.

[URL]https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/27/us-cities-with-high-paying-jobs-and-low-cost-of-living.html[/URL]

Your statement COMING FROM THE COAST tells me you showed up with an affliction known as a Superiority Complex. Very common. For the locals to appear as aggressive hicks one can only wonder how you presented yourself as a first impression.

I will agree with you that the 2 cities of Omaha & Minneapolis are not very similar. However, you can't compare the Twin Cities to Chicago. That's two cities with very little in common as to the lifestyle, the people living there, and general makeup of each metro.

I have relatives in Chicago and the Twin cities. They're from the same family. They live the same lives. One bikes more in Minneapolis and one runs more in Chi-town. They're both good people.

[URL]https://www.omaha.com/money/omaha-s-low-cost-of-living-was-once-its-economic/article_462d9d36-2497-545b-9c62-62e29dcece8f.html[/URL]

Whatever you say. That must have been written by those coastal elites hating on your polite and friendly, undiscovered ways. After all, everyone gets what they deserve. Surely someone moves to the midwest for the express purpose to stick their nose up. That's very insightful. Nail on head. The worst part was realizing when I move back, everyone will be saying "I told you so," and they were right.

Last edited by noitisnot; 03-27-2020 at 10:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha