Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2020, 03:43 PM
 
Location: In a George Strait Song
9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Reputation: 14046

Advertisements

If you are looking to avoid traffic and over population, Dallas is not it. DFW is something like 7 million people in an area the size of Connecticut and has the traffic to prove it. Although Texas has no state income tax, property taxes are insane as is sales tax and fees for every thing you need to register.

DFW is awesome if you are looking to further your career or if you want to take advantage of the excellent public schools. Otherwise if Texas is still on your list I would consider Austin or San Antonio, which still have the traffic and population problems, but are also more scenic cities.

Also ask yourself if you want four seasons, or 6 months of heat? Do you want to be landlocked or do you want to be able to visit the Gulf? Do you want a metroplex or a smaller city? Which has better employment opportunities for you? Is diveristy important to you or not really? Lots to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2020, 11:49 AM
 
446 posts, read 219,480 times
Reputation: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLeggedOne View Post
The "red state" thing doesnt bug me also. I dont like big govt much.

Only drawback I hear about NE is the taxes and some say that its as expensive as some
other states in the end because of the taxes but I still see it as cheap next to the coastal states. I think even a better indie rock scene also. I knew of Saddle Creek now a long time, since I lived in FL.
I've lived in Lincoln for over 50 years so I can bring a different perspective here. Personally, I wouldn't recommend Lincoln or Omaha. Nebraska is a very conservative state, but sure there are pockets of more tolerant individuals and groups, both in Lincoln and Omaha. Lincoln and Omaha somewhat similar as far as quality of life, restaurants, etc., with Omaha the nod for more "big city" things to do (e.g. arts events, the Omaha Zoo, botanical gardens, major airport etc.), although Lincoln does attract some arts, concerts, etc. (Lied Center, Arena, Pinewood Bowl). Keep in mind, if you live in Lincoln, Omaha is only about an hour away. Traffic-wise, it's no contest, Lincoln wins hands down, with no need to get on any freeway to get across town, and even then only taking 15-30 minutes (depending on times, etc.). Keep in mind, Lincoln is a big college town, so summers are much better than when school is in session, at least close to downtown.

While the politics are conservative, taxes sure aren't. Property taxes run over 2%, there's a state income tax, sales tax, etc. Very high tax state. Many say that translates into good schools, but I don't necessarily agree with that.

Good luck with your decision. My advice would be to avoid Nebraska alltogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2020, 12:10 AM
 
Location: Nebraska
2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
Reputation: 6681
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammythebull View Post
I've lived in Lincoln for over 50 years so I can bring a different perspective here. Personally, I wouldn't recommend Lincoln or Omaha. Nebraska is a very conservative state, but sure there are pockets of more tolerant individuals and groups, both in Lincoln and Omaha. Lincoln and Omaha somewhat similar as far as quality of life, restaurants, etc., with Omaha the nod for more "big city" things to do (e.g. arts events, the Omaha Zoo, botanical gardens, major airport etc.), although Lincoln does attract some arts, concerts, etc. (Lied Center, Arena, Pinewood Bowl). Keep in mind, if you live in Lincoln, Omaha is only about an hour away. Traffic-wise, it's no contest, Lincoln wins hands down, with no need to get on any freeway to get across town, and even then only taking 15-30 minutes (depending on times, etc.). Keep in mind, Lincoln is a big college town, so summers are much better than when school is in session, at least close to downtown.

While the politics are conservative, taxes sure aren't. Property taxes run over 2%, there's a state income tax, sales tax, etc. Very high tax state. Many say that translates into good schools, but I don't necessarily agree with that.

Good luck with your decision. My advice would be to avoid Nebraska alltogether.
I need to disagree about a few things. Traffic is much worse in Lincoln then Omaha. BTW Lincoln has no freeways unless you mean interstate 80 or 180, interstate 80 just skims the north edge of Lincoln and then heads west or to Omaha. I180 just gets you from I80 to the center of the city but doesn't help if you need to go to south Lincoln. I can get anywhere in Omaha in 20 mins even in rush hour but if you are in north Lincoln and want to go to south Lincoln it's 30 mins and lots of traffic. Lincoln is a totally screwed up city when it comes to traffic flow.

BTW the word "tolerant" is very debatable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2020, 05:01 PM
 
1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Reputation: 3884
I recently realized OP was probably more concerned about long term overall cost of living being better in NE versus TX. I hope OP will return and clarify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2020, 10:53 PM
 
1,066 posts, read 891,193 times
Reputation: 1221
I hope you'll check out both places first. I grew up around Omaha and lived in Des Moines for some time, and you will be moving to a very red state in either Nebraska or less so Texas. It might be a bit of a cultural shock for trans type woman coming from Portland.



You can't compare Dallas and Omaha at all, they are completely different. Dallas is of course much bigger and is almost 3 times larger than Portland MSA.



You can calculate tax differences here:
https://smartasset.com/taxes/nebraska-tax-calculator


Oregon income taxes are high and housing is high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2020, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Here and there
346 posts, read 308,072 times
Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Omaha's a city. Lincoln is a small town dominated by the university campus, and feels much more insular than Omaha does. And yes, Nebraska has high property taxes.

You really need to check both locations (Omaha and Dallas) out first-hand in order to learn which one is likely to suit you best, as neither is going to have much in common with Portland.

Thats what I want though. I will gladli take a risk knowing both are the opposite of Portland. I am willing to roll the dice big on this, I just need a secured address to move to and I am good. Still working on that, its the hard part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2020, 11:23 PM
 
Location: Here and there
346 posts, read 308,072 times
Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
The previous posts are correct about Dallas Vs Omaha. The only thing I can add is the OP saying they wanted a less populated area. I have been to Texas/Dallas at least 30 times in the past few decades and compared to Omaha, Dallas is heavily populated and has the traffic to prove it.

With what I know about Dallas and Omaha, my choice would be Omaha. I would not live in Lincoln.

Omaha IMHO looks like the best choice also. Whats prompting me to say this is that Dallas might be too big, a lot of job scammers I know live there and fly bi night situations. It appears to be what I want, but I might want someplace smaller but still feels like a real city, kind of like Tampa does.. that looks like Omaha to me. Feels big but it isnt too big kinda place but enough fun. Omaha I think works tbh. I might even look into MO if I have to expand. I think a lot of places in flyover country can only be a step up for me than fkn Portland where im going nowhere with noone and nothing. I am doing a total nothing to lose kind of move. Lincoln I also determined is some place I wouldnt prefer at least over Omaha. I might pick Lincoln over Eugene, but not over a real city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2020, 11:51 PM
 
10 posts, read 8,251 times
Reputation: 35
It may be a little off mark, but I'll note that I'm a business owner and Omaha was on a list of relocation options I was considering. I contacted the City planning office to ask a business question and was treated incredibly rudely and unprofessionally. It was a very basic and non-controversial question that should have been easy to answer - they were just rude and unprofessional for no reason. I then contacted a department at the County government and was treated exactly the same way. When the local government is of low quality and professionalism, it's a red flag. Omaha is no longer on my list.

Last edited by ColoradoResident; 07-17-2020 at 12:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2020, 12:13 AM
 
Location: Here and there
346 posts, read 308,072 times
Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
If you are looking to avoid traffic and over population, Dallas is not it. DFW is something like 7 million people in an area the size of Connecticut and has the traffic to prove it. Although Texas has no state income tax, property taxes are insane as is sales tax and fees for every thing you need to register.

DFW is awesome if you are looking to further your career or if you want to take advantage of the excellent public schools. Otherwise if Texas is still on your list I would consider Austin or San Antonio, which still have the traffic and population problems, but are also more scenic cities.

Also ask yourself if you want four seasons, or 6 months of heat? Do you want to be landlocked or do you want to be able to visit the Gulf? Do you want a metroplex or a smaller city? Which has better employment opportunities for you? Is diveristy important to you or not really? Lots to consider.

TX is now off the list because I am also not wanting to go to a cit because its scenic. I paid that price with Portland. So Austin is out, SA is out. I dont like foothills also. Looks like Dallas had the terrain I wanted, but I was also told DFW is getting a lot of people now too in the CA exodus so no thanks to that one lol. And if people move because of public schools, that would just be like where I am now in the burbs with tons of kids and dopey young parents, strollers like baby land. whitebread, new construction like how McKinney and places like that come off. Plano. Again I'll pass on that. Id rather be around old people and/or a more cultural area. And I also saw Dallas as highly cultural. I wanted N Dallas, somewhere with people of different ethnicities if possible. That or old people wont bug me so much. I just dont want those snobbish, young, whitebread families around me. It will drive me mad. and in Portland a lot of this exists, despite the "weird" image people wanna make it seem like it has. Those people also exclude and dont welcome different people too. So its not the utopia people wanna make it seem if someones a freak. U gotta go above and beyond to even be considered for the cliques and have tons of tattoos which I dont have and cant afford. It functions like a far right remedial kinda town even with the libs who want to seem so accepting when they're anything but. Adults act like HS age a LOT in these parts and im too grown up 4 them is what it comes down to and then u got the kids and its double trouble. People who speed a lot in places they shouldnt be speeding in also like where people wanna take a quiet walk with dense neighbors and trees, school zones.


I bet in the DFW area come to think of it, Id find a lot of suburban BS that I am triing to move out of now esp if its a bit on the outskirts. Arlington also perhaps. Cops dont do enough about them so they dont stop doing it. I feel i gotta defend miself all the time around them, I look to fight them but thei get scared and speed from me going faster.


I moved into this Tampa hood some time back in a 90 percent black area, I liked it more than this! and the location at least was GOOD. I didnt hear people getting too loud even if it was run down. I walked at night too because it was a stones throw to downtown and another part as "bad" as people said it was and ghetto. I passed enough to not get messed with apparently, in white areas like this one though, Im seen as a 2nd class citizen also and thats part of mi discomfort and I see the little kids just growing up to mimick the structure I see in place now. I am light copper caramel toned but italian. wavish long hair. Tall, thin. So I am like a god in appearance, people dont know what I am. They just know Im not them at all. Black people though when I lived around em, they didnt bother me at least not in Tampa.



St Pete people in general bothered you a bit more I found. Tampa thei kept to themselves but would say hi sometimes to you without begging for stuff or talk if the moment fit (Like I see Omaha). In St Pete it was gimme gimme gimme, u got a lighter?? U got this? U got a cigarette? and bugging me from across the street sometimes even as I was walking and minding mi business. That made me MAAADDD OMG I was ready to go off on the mofo. Told him Id come over there and F him up, then he stopped. I had to get aggressive though. And I feel that same aggression here when dealing with the speeders. I feel like i leave the house walking, and I gotta get ready for a fight each time I go out, and life is too short for this bologna. I wanna be softer than this but cant shake it in these kinds of environments.


I didnt find that in Tampa, even in the bad parts but i did near the beach! not on it but the places near the gulf a bit more in like Largo. Kinda like how I'd see Houston to be. Just a bum culture in the rough not far from gulf parts. I think location matters in a LOT of cases! The beach inland parts had more drunk or low class people 10 minutes from it than on it and thei begged u 4 ever damn dime if the could.





I like good fun though, I like the idea of hitting a dance floor, going to bars/clubs possibl. But I want to do these urban things without the bs and high crowds esp hitting 40 where I am almost like 70 lol. Possibly a lgbt place too but regular scene too.. Jakes looks like a good spot, the cigar bar I found while looking for places.


K im done I wrote a lot lol. I will be awaiting the replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2020, 12:16 AM
 
Location: Here and there
346 posts, read 308,072 times
Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoResident View Post
It may be a little off mark, but I'll note that I'm a business owner and Omaha was on a list of relocation options I was considering. I contacted the City planning office to ask a business question and was treated incredibly rudely and unprofessionally. It was a very basic and non-controversial question that should have been easy to answer - they were just rude and unprofessional for no reason. I then contacted a department at the County government and was treated exactly the same way. When the local government is of low quality and professionalism, it's a red flag. Omaha is no longer on my list.

Those people u dealt with might hate Colorado if u told them where u were from. Might be it because they dont have Californication going last I checked so it might be a rival thing with them as Denver isnt far and its expensive to live now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top