Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 01:16 AM

346 posts, read 308,610 times

Advertisements

In Portland Oregon area now, trans woman type. But I have mostly Omaha and Dallas on my list for relocation. I am looking for less crowds, cheaper COL and just enough of what I need without going through a monstrosity of traffic and snobs like I do in Oregon with lots of bad vibes in the air too.

39, single, out of work with some money saved. I hear employment is better in Omaha. Also, I looked at Lincoln, some say its better but to me thats like the Tampa/St Pete argument. One looking trendier and the other not as. If some can tell me about the differences of Omaha and Lincoln from natives mouths, Id appreciate it. The "red state" thing doesnt bug me also. I dont like big govt much.

Only drawback I hear about NE is the taxes and some say that its as expensive as some
other states in the end because of the taxes but I still see it as cheap next to the coastal states. I think even a better indie rock scene also. I knew of Saddle Creek now a long time, since I lived in FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 01:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Having lived in all 3 of your choices of states, I would head to Dallas, but specifically target a place to live that is within easy public transit. Dallas has so much more for you than Omaha. (2 yrs max, and you will have exhausted Omaha). For better.... Consider taking a working gig in Thailand. BTDT, very cheap, very nice and polite, very scenic in countryside, wonderful food scene. (Everything Portland without the overhead). But... No snow in Thailand! Avoid Bangkok, Phuket, and Pattaya. (Trendy and crowded and fake for enjoyment of Thailand. It is really great in many ways and can venture all over Asia for a $49 flight.

$0.02

Old 06-23-2020, 01:54 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,982,834 times
Omaha's a city. Lincoln is a small town dominated by the university campus, and feels much more insular than Omaha does. And yes, Nebraska has high property taxes.

You really need to check both locations (Omaha and Dallas) out first-hand in order to learn which one is likely to suit you best, as neither is going to have much in common with Portland.

Old 06-23-2020, 04:49 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,319,719 times
The previous posts are correct about Dallas Vs Omaha. The only thing I can add is the OP saying they wanted a less populated area. I have been to Texas/Dallas at least 30 times in the past few decades and compared to Omaha, Dallas is heavily populated and has the traffic to prove it.

With what I know about Dallas and Omaha, my choice would be Omaha. I would not live in Lincoln.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:06 PM

561 posts, read 514,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLeggedOne View Post
In Portland Oregon area now, trans woman type. But I have mostly Omaha and Dallas on my list for relocation. I am looking for less crowds, cheaper COL and just enough of what I need without going through a monstrosity of traffic and snobs like I do in Oregon with lots of bad vibes in the air too.

39, single, out of work with some money saved. I hear employment is better in Omaha. Also, I looked at Lincoln, some say its better but to me thats like the Tampa/St Pete argument. One looking trendier and the other not as. If some can tell me about the differences of Omaha and Lincoln from natives mouths, Id appreciate it. The "red state" thing doesnt bug me also. I dont like big govt much.

Only drawback I hear about NE is the taxes and some say that its as expensive as some
other states in the end because of the taxes but I still see it as cheap next to the coastal states. I think even a better indie rock scene also. I knew of Saddle Creek now a long time, since I lived in FL.
Being an Omaha native and also having tons of family in the DFW area, I consider Dallas a “second home”. Omaha and Dallas are my 2 favorite cities (being a lifelong Dallas Cowboys fan doesn’t hurt either lol)..

But for what you’re looking for, I’d choose Omaha. Someone commented here that you’d exhaust everything in Omaha in 2 years.. That’s baloney imo. You could or couldn’t make that comment about any major city you could move to- depending on your level of social activity etc..

Omaha has everything you’d need in a major city, without the traffic hassles. Omaha has diversity, an active LGBT community and a fantastic variety in food options. If you’re remotely a “foodie” at all, you’ll love it here. I went to college at the U of Nebraska in Lincoln and while Lincoln is a fine city, it simply lacks the urban vibrancy you’d get in Omaha, which has a MSA population of 1 million..Compared to Lincoln which is only about 400,000. That said, Omaha and Lincoln are less than 1 hour apart and if you combine those MSA’s you’re hitting 1.4 million. Yes, that’s smaller than Portland, but I’d suspect you’d find the same level of cultural amenities in Omaha. Plus, imo, the Omaha music scene easily rivals what you’d find in Portland, Oregon..it might even surpass it..

Omaha is great city and a great place to hang your hat. If I were you, I wouldn’t hesitate at all moving here.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:47 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,149,613 times
My thoughts-

if an active social life is important to you, relocate to Texas. The issue with life in Nebraska is the long winters make people reliant on themselves for both entertainment close to home and also paying for extra winter related costs (heating bills, winter clothing and shoes, auto maint. related to driving in the snow.)

I've gone to Texas a bit for work and I will admit Texas has a "come on strong" reputation (the state culture is pretty famous, as Texas was a Republic before it was a US state) BUT the average Texan is friendly, hardworking and just doing their own thing in life.

I'd advise having 6 months to a year of living expense money saved before you make a long term decision about where to stay. There are many parts of the US that are very trans-supportive and peaceful places to live....I think the bigger concern is making sure your work opportunities are appropriate and your estimated personal budget will work out for your new home.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:43 AM

291 posts, read 377,662 times
I've lived in Omaha for almost 3 years now and have no intention of leaving. Like Mighty said Omaha has a great balance of big city features but without the hassles that go with them.
Numerous funky distinctive neighborhoods,espcially downtown, midtown, south O, etc.as well as many subdivsions if that's your thing. Managable traffic, great food scene, low unemployment, LGBT friendly, low COL.

There is nothing wrong with Lincoln, it just too small for me. Omaha is more urban.

When I think of Dallas, I definitely don't think of less populated/less traffic.

The taxes here are much higher compared to where we moved from, this is why we are continuing to rent not buy here.

The winters are harsh! It was an adjustment getting used to so much shoveling, scraping off cars, being out in -20 windchill.

I have not found my social life to be any problem at all here. I have met all kinds of people of all ages. We have a very active Meet Up scence.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:03 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,319,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
My thoughts-

if an active social life is important to you, relocate to Texas. The issue with life in Nebraska is the long winters make people reliant on themselves for both entertainment close to home and also paying for extra winter related costs (heating bills, winter clothing and shoes, auto maint. related to driving in the snow.)

I've gone to Texas a bit for work and I will admit Texas has a "come on strong" reputation (the state culture is pretty famous, as Texas was a Republic before it was a US state) BUT the average Texan is friendly, hardworking and just doing their own thing in life.

I'd advise having 6 months to a year of living expense money saved before you make a long term decision about where to stay. There are many parts of the US that are very trans-supportive and peaceful places to live....I think the bigger concern is making sure your work opportunities are appropriate and your estimated personal budget will work out for your new home.
I've lived in Nebraska all my life and I'm curious about what you are talking about when you are saying heating expense in Nebraska make it more expensive to live here. My cheaper utility bills come in the winter then in the summer for AC but I only need AC for about 4 months, for 3-4 months a year I have no heating or AC expenses but I've been to Texas enough to know that its really hot down there and AC will be needed for maybe 9 months out of the year. Averaging everything out I don't believe the expenses in ether place is much different.

On another subject, auto maintenance, I have never done anything different for winter that I do for any other time of the year. So I'm curious about what auto expenses there are for winter?

Completely off the subject, population, there are 1.6 million people in Nebraska total, in Texas there are about 30 million in the same physical size as Nebraska and they all live in East Texas. Of those 1.6 million in Nebraska 1.2 million live within 50 miles of the Missouri river. The rest of the state is populated about the same as West Texas. If the OP is really interested in living in a less populated area its not Texas however if taxes are a big concern don't move to Nebraska, it's my biggest complaint about my state.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:23 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,149,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I've lived in Nebraska all my life and I'm curious about what you are talking about when you are saying heating expense in Nebraska make it more expensive to live here. My cheaper utility bills come in the winter then in the summer for AC but I only need AC for about 4 months, for 3-4 months a year I have no heating or AC expenses but I've been to Texas enough to know that its really hot down there and AC will be needed for maybe 9 months out of the year. Averaging everything out I don't believe the expenses in ether place is much different.

On another subject, auto maintenance, I have never done anything different for winter that I do for any other time of the year. So I'm curious about what auto expenses there are for winter?

Completely off the subject, population, there are 1.6 million people in Nebraska total, in Texas there are about 30 million in the same physical size as Nebraska and they all live in East Texas. Of those 1.6 million in Nebraska 1.2 million live within 50 miles of the Missouri river. The rest of the state is populated about the same as West Texas. If the OP is really interested in living in a less populated area its not Texas however if taxes are a big concern don't move to Nebraska, it's my biggest complaint about my state.

I didn't want to go way off topic out of respect for OP- I was meaning if OP chooses to upgrade a vehicle things like winter tires or a larger vehicle can end up costing more. Some people are happier owning SUVs or trucks in Snow Belt states.

Texas has areas that are "small town" type areas. Indeed for a transplanted American, issues like getting employment and finding a living arrangement to their liking are the first considerations, with other issues being dealt with as time goes on.

I'll wait for OP to update this thread with any more info before I make more suggestions. I was just suggesting TX since I do have a lot of friends that relocated there from all over the United States (usually for professional reasons or to become home owners) & all of them are extremely happy.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
there are so many huge differences between Portland, Omaha, and Dallas that OP is gonna need to whittle it down to preferences / time frame / events and desires of life.

I would suggest all 3 have their merits and none of the 3 are perfect.

Chose the one that fits at the moment and consider it may be another 5-10 yr plan before you migrate again.

For instance... if in peak earning yrs, State Income tax free Dallas might win, Maybe for variety of career options?

After peak earning yrs, and certainly for retirement / aging in place... Nebraska always wins. "It's the good life"
https://www.omaha.com/news/state_and...00f7bb865.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: