Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 5,855 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry...but if you've ever been anywhere worth going to, or lived anywhere...you'd know that Omaha sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 03:40 PM

536 posts, read 2,154,503 times
I've lived in Omaha 24 years of my life and recently moved to the west coast. I grew up in the inner city between Benson and North Omaha. Most people who visit, don't even know about the different neighborhoods and culture.

Anyway, great photos. Here are some of my own, they are from over 2 years ago.... but im going back to Omaha next month. I can't wait.

Old Market:

North Omaha:

Benson:

Midtown:

Old 08-25-2008, 03:41 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjas and Samurais View Post
I'm sorry...but if you've ever been anywhere worth going to, or lived anywhere...you'd know that Omaha sucks.
Been other places, seen a lot of things, and still choose for this to be home... also know many many military families who have no tie to Omaha, Nebraska, or the Great Plains, and those folks have traveled around the world to many many great places - yet, once they got stationed here they choose to retire here...

So, from that perspective I'd say "I'm sorry...but if you've ever been anywhere worth going to, or lived anywhere...you'd know that Omaha is a gem and a great place to live."

Old 08-25-2008, 05:03 PM

193 posts, read 656,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjas and Samurais View Post
It's all just a matter of opinion. I've been to some great, major cities around the US, but I tend to prefer Omaha. Not necessarily because Omaha is better than those cities, but because Omaha has everything I want / need.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:08 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
I lived in the Central Plains area for over 20 years and much prefer the interior eastern US.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:37 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,246 times
Default ...

It really is hard to understand what we have here unless you have something to compare it too..

I was in love with Omaha before I left, and am now in love with it times ten..

If I ever leave again, it won't be for a long year like it was in Vegas, it would be for a few months just to gain another perspective..

It is a trend that people that move away from here learn what it is that they have left behind, and they seem to try to find their way back...

Old 08-27-2008, 07:48 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
It really is hard to understand what we have here unless you have something to compare it too..

I was in love with Omaha before I left, and am now in love with it times ten..

If I ever leave again, it won't be for a long year like it was in Vegas, it would be for a few months just to gain another perspective..

It is a trend that people that move away from here learn what it is that they have left behind, and they seem to try to find their way back...
The advantage that Omaha has is that it is a smaller metro and economically vibrant. The Kansas City metro area got much too large for me, and so I moved to a smaller town in New Hampshire. The quality of life in NH is high, and has no state income taxes or a sales tax. The economy here is holding up compared with other states with an unemployment rate of 4% or less.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 9,061 times
DTO:

Thanks so much for posting these pictures and providing this info about Omaha. I was surfing the net for photos, as I'm going to visit my brother and his family out there in a month, and came across your additions. I've been there a couple times (once to visit my brother, the other time to deliver a training a Mutual of Omaha, by coincidence), and the city strikes me as the little sister to Minneapolis -- clean, organized, compact (at least in the center), and with a business-oriented civic pride. I grew up in Austin and currently live in San Francisco, so Omaha is smaller and more conservative than I'm used to, but it makes a nice impression. The things that most struck me about Omaha on previous visits: (1) how easy it is to get from the airport to downtown, (2) the really striking sight of the western museum (former train station) in stunning art deco white, lit up at night, against the dark brick of surrounding buildings, (3) the Mutual of Omaha building, the old part of which could serve as the set for a 1940s noir film (you know how they loved insurance-based plots in those days -- think "Double Indemnity"), (4) the fantastic steaks we had at Omaha Prime, and (5) the open, pleasant hilly areas at the far end of Council Bluffs, where my brother lives.

Anyway, just wanted to thank you for posting. It's nice to see that Omaha is putting together some light rail, too. -- E4

Old 08-07-2010, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 9,061 times
Actually, as long as I have all these Omaha experts online, can anyone recommend a nice place to go swimming on the Missouri River north of town? Is there such a place, or does no one swim there (might be more polluted than it looks)? Any other historic/natural/steak-related recommendations for Labor Day weekend would be appreciated. I'm planning to take the nephews and niece down to Lincoln to see the capitol and university.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:16 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,856 times
I'm not sure about swimming in the river since it's fairly quick moving, but then again I'm not sure. Someone else might know. I do know that boating on the river is fairly popular and there are quite a few marinas up and down the coasts (lol), including one Downtown.

I have always loved Neale Woods north of Omaha in Washington County. It offers a really unique view of the city and the rural areas around Omaha. I'm sure lots of people would equate Omahans to being rural but in truth getting out the city into the country is a rarity for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha