Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Mayor has done the most for Omaha?
Hal Daub 11 57.89%
Mike Fahey 6 31.58%
Other 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:59 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,089,692 times

Advertisements

I won't disagree that Daub has done some good things. I don't know that Fahey is all bad.

My point was that I'm not a guy that has undying devotion to any particular mayor based on party line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 02:59 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,208,167 times
Default ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I won't disagree that Daub has done some good things. I don't know that Fahey is all bad.

My point was that I'm not a guy that has undying devotion to any particular mayor based on party line.

Neither do I.. I follow their work very closely and even read the city agendas from the city of Omaha website..

With that said, I'm glad to hear you say that party lines don't contribute to your decisions, but be sure to be sure that you know the difference between what people say and what people do.. I don't trust any media, liberal or conservative..

Old 09-07-2008, 04:44 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,089,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
Neither do I.. I follow their work very closely and even read the city agendas from the city of Omaha website..

With that said, I'm glad to hear you say that party lines don't contribute to your decisions, but be sure to be sure that you know the difference between what people say and what people do.. I don't trust any media, liberal or conservative..

With local elections, or even on the state level, I don't know that there is much difference between democrat and republican. Heck, even on the Senate level, Ben Nelson seems closer to being a republican than democrat.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:24 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,208,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
With local elections, or even on the state level, I don't know that there is much difference between democrat and republican. Heck, even on the Senate level, Ben Nelson seems closer to being a republican than democrat.

In Nebraska for the most part there really is little difference between the two and most of them are moderates, which to mean is actually a very good thing to be as it represents ideals beyond boundaries laid out to them..

Our current governor however is turning into a total media hog, same with Bruning.. Those guys are examples of extremism at its worst and I cannot wait to rectify my voting for Heinamen the last election!

Heinamen was great at first, he seemed to be rather independant and a very well spoken man, but wow, after being elected he reminds me of the people that you see on Saturday Night Live on one of those clips where people are trying to get noticed behind a reporter by making faces and signs..

I know that is a silly analogy, however it seems that they are very good to run to the media about very hot topics and use very generic statements and terms that are commonly used by many left and right political extremists.. Which leads me to believe that those two have something in mind that may involve a possible run at the senate or something...

Old 06-06-2015, 09:06 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,568,154 times
surprised no one has commented since the Suttle and Stothert years have happened on this post

Old 07-12-2015, 12:07 PM

14,583 posts, read 23,151,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
surprised no one has commented since the Suttle and Stothert years have happened on this post
Suttle's biggest accomplishments were keeping the city's fiscal house in order during the greatest economic decline since the Great Depression. He not only kept us from ending up in the tank, but got us a surplus after a couple years. He did this by ignoring the Republicans who think tax cuts solve everything and instead raised some taxes. Unfortunately, despite all the benefit this brought to the city of Omaha, he doesn't have any real "big ticket" items to hang his hat on, like Daub had with Qwest/CenturyLink and Fahey had with TDA.

Stothert hasn't really done anything to date except keep the ball rolling.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:41 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,337,728 times
I remember Suttle making me go to Lincoln to eat, I can thank him for that.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I remember Suttle making me go to Lincoln to eat, I can thank him for that.
What's the story behind that?

Old 07-12-2015, 08:24 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,337,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
What's the story behind that?
He imposed the 10% restaurant tax in Omaha. He was also the moron that let Omaha Steel Casting company move to Wahoo. When the news people asked him about it, he said that he was still working on it and one of his aids had to tell him that Omaha Steel Casting had already built their new factory and he was 2 years late in making a decision.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
He imposed the 10% restaurant tax in Omaha
It's 2.5%, not 10%. Are you saying that you're one of those types that is literally going to drive to another city rather than spend a little extra? I'm sure I don't have to tell you that you're almost certainly spending more money by traveling.

Quote:
He was also the moron that let Omaha Steel Casting company move to Wahoo. When the news people asked him about it, he said that he was still working on it and one of his aids had to tell him that Omaha Steel Casting had already built their new factory and he was 2 years late in making a decision.
Not sure what Suttle had to do with that. From what I remember (and I didn't follow it closely) OSC was looking to relocate for awhile and UNMC wanted the land anyway. Then there's this...

Quote:
"We looked in Omaha first, but after three years, we found out there's not a lot of heavy industrial property in Omaha and the property that was available was outrageous," Teggart said Wednesday.

He also believes that the company's plant -- in the heart of the city -- someday would be acquired by the nearby University of Nebraska Medical Center as part of some expansion plan.

106-year-old steel company to build $12 million plant in Wahoo : Lincoln, NE Journal Star
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha