Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2008, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 9,639,207 times
Reputation: 1238

Advertisements

With the New annexations our population is now estimated at 440,686, making us pass Virginia Beach and Cleveland. Kansas city has 450,375. We're catching up! Plus Kansas city has about 3 times our land mass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2008, 03:30 PM
 
Location: West Omaha
1,181 posts, read 3,992,013 times
Reputation: 522
I don't put too much stock into the city numbers anymore, to me the most important numbers are the metro area numbers. When you consider those numbers the Omaha metro isn't very close to the KC metro. I just think the city proper numbers are just too misleading. I think Omaha is on the same order as Miami and maybe even Atlanta in terms of city proper, but the metro numbers are obviously not even close.

The interesting thing is that through the annexations the city numbers grow, but the metro numbers essentially stay the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
1,119 posts, read 4,179,220 times
Reputation: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
I don't put too much stock into the city numbers anymore, to me the most important numbers are the metro area numbers. When you consider those numbers the Omaha metro isn't very close to the KC metro. I just think the city proper numbers are just too misleading. I think Omaha is on the same order as Miami and maybe even Atlanta in terms of city proper, but the metro numbers are obviously not even close.

The interesting thing is that through the annexations the city numbers grow, but the metro numbers essentially stay the same.

That is true in some regards.. However, the fact that the city has taxing power over such a large population and commerce means the city can afford to continue redeveloping and building!!

The Omaha metro population is not remaining the same! The metro population has been averaging almost 10,000 per year growth by numbers alone... And including lincoln it is near 13,500 to 14,000 per year...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Tippecanoe County, Indiana
26,346 posts, read 46,081,361 times
Reputation: 19444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
That is true in some regards.. However, the fact that the city has taxing power over such a large population and commerce means the city can afford to continue redeveloping and building!!

The Omaha metro population is not remaining the same! The metro population has been averaging almost 10,000 per year growth by numbers alone... And including lincoln it is near 13,500 to 14,000 per year...
I think more people are moving back to the middle part of the country due to a solid variety of jobs and fairly low COL. Also, it does not suprise me that the Omaha metro is growing so fast based on demographics alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
1,119 posts, read 4,179,220 times
Reputation: 413
Default ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
I think more people are moving back to the middle part of the country due to a solid variety of jobs and fairly low COL. Also, it does not suprise me that the Omaha metro is growing so fast based on demographics alone.

I agree, completely..

When you look at the plains states who seem to be having a lot of mid/large city growth, it appears to be the cities who prime themselves to grow based off of economic opportunities first, entertainment as a local commodity..

Omaha, Des Moines, Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Minneapolis and now Tulsa are all growing at above the national average with Wichita growing faster than it has for quite a while..

I stated entertainment being pulled in for a local commodity, with that said there has been an explosion of entertainment facilities in this area as well..

All of those cities listed built facilities for arts/music and other uses and what has resulted from it was an unexpected amount of new entertainment options..

1. Oklahoma City pulls an NBA team
2. Des Moines now has a Nascar race
3. Omaha has a top tier music/arts scene with a world-rated convention-center/arena
4. Kansas City is now reaping benefits from a new arena and the beginnings of a newly renovated rosenblatt stadium..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 11:46 PM
 
Location: South Dakota
1,961 posts, read 6,886,102 times
Reputation: 1011
Omaha is progressive and is a growing area. It is growing in a similar fashion to Sioux Falls, strong but steady steady growth (although both have impressive growth numbers for the Midwest). Omaha, like Sioux Falls, SD and Des Moines metro, have diverse econonmies, well-managed growth (with decent planning), and are business friendly areas. There are other parts of the country that overtax businesses or have become unfriendly towards business and this attitude makes it difficult for businesses to create additional oppotortunity, which creates jobs and revenue for local economies and governments.

Keep up the good work, Omaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2008, 11:22 AM
 
Location: west Omaha
475 posts, read 2,224,904 times
Reputation: 209
Don't forget Lincoln ... I'll bet alot of people aren't aware that it's MSA population is going to be topping 300,000 in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2008, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 9,639,207 times
Reputation: 1238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
4. Kansas City is now reaping benefits from a new arena and the beginnings of a newly renovated rosenblatt stadium..
don't you mean Kaufman Stadium?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2008, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Tippecanoe County, Indiana
26,346 posts, read 46,081,361 times
Reputation: 19444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
With the New annexations our population is now estimated at 440,686, making us pass Virginia Beach and Cleveland. Kansas city has 450,375. We're catching up! Plus Kansas city has about 3 times our land mass.
Yes, Kansas City has a terrible distinction of having the city limits stretch into three separate counties. Some might make the argument that the "core" metro development only takes up part of three counties, but it is still extremely spread out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2008, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
1,119 posts, read 4,179,220 times
Reputation: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
Omaha is progressive and is a growing area. It is growing in a similar fashion to Sioux Falls, strong but steady steady growth (although both have impressive growth numbers for the Midwest). Omaha, like Sioux Falls, SD and Des Moines metro, have diverse econonmies, well-managed growth (with decent planning), and are business friendly areas. There are other parts of the country that overtax businesses or have become unfriendly towards business and this attitude makes it difficult for businesses to create additional oppotortunity, which creates jobs and revenue for local economies and governments.

Keep up the good work, Omaha.

That is true, Sioux Falls is a classic plains state success story.. I should NOT have left it out! It actually should be a cardinal sin to leave it out of this type of discussion..

I don't know why I didn't include it..

And yeah, I forgot Lincoln too.. although in some cases it truly is debatable as to whether it is a lone market instead of a push-pull market with Omaha..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top