Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 02:01 AM

673 posts, read 4,069,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
If the Mall is so ghetto why do people bring their kids down there for the slides and to feed the ducks? Why do people run alone through the Mall for excercise? Why do people go out and skate on the water when it freezes over in the winter? It's must be because it's so NOT GHETTO that people like to be down there. Welcome to any big city USA. You're going to have homeless.
I do think that area of downtown around the Mall is unappealing, its got alot of problems because thats where Omaha's large homeless population hangs out, Omaha has a very large homeless population for a city its size. Omaha has the resources to get those people jobs, health services and housing but they choose not to bother so thus they have an area right in middle of downtown that is intimidating to people working down there and unappealing for people to go to. Omaha has the resources and tons of affordable housing to eliminate homelessness, but the people who run the city are extremely lazy when it comes to quality of life issues they are just there to enrich their business friends.

Omaha shouldnt have homeless, they have thousands of vacant apartment units in the city of Omaha. If the city has enought to pay for a convention center that needs to be payed for out of the general fund, they have enough to provide apartments to the homeless at 300 dollars a month. Many neighborhoods on the north-side an apartment can be had for 300 dollars a month

I have to say parts of Omaha seems to have stabilized though, they have some minor improvements on the Northside and along the 24th street corridor from Dodge to Leavenworth, although many neighborhoods are still very blighted. Its a shame it takes Omaha 10 years to do what other cities can do in half that time. Also the violent crime rate came down alot in the last decade, but like alot of other cities it seems to be increasing again.

I do think that despite Omaha's very slow pace of improvement of its bad neighborhoods, it will probubly be in better shape then Lincoln in 5 years. Lincoln seems to be going down-hill very, very fast while Omaha is having slow progress.

Last edited by MattDen; 03-09-2007 at 02:15 AM..

Old 03-09-2007, 06:41 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,198,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I do think that area of downtown around the Mall is unappealing, its got alot of problems because thats where Omaha's large homeless population hangs out, Omaha has a very large homeless population for a city its size. Omaha has the resources to get those people jobs, health services and housing but they choose not to bother so thus they have an area right in middle of downtown that is intimidating to people working down there and unappealing for people to go to. Omaha has the resources and tons of affordable housing to eliminate homelessness, but the people who run the city are extremely lazy when it comes to quality of life issues they are just there to enrich their business friends.

Omaha shouldnt have homeless, they have thousands of vacant apartment units in the city of Omaha. If the city has enought to pay for a convention center that needs to be payed for out of the general fund, they have enough to provide apartments to the homeless at 300 dollars a month. Many neighborhoods on the north-side an apartment can be had for 300 dollars a month

I have to say parts of Omaha seems to have stabilized though, they have some minor improvements on the Northside and along the 24th street corridor from Dodge to Leavenworth, although many neighborhoods are still very blighted. Its a shame it takes Omaha 10 years to do what other cities can do in half that time. Also the violent crime rate came down alot in the last decade, but like alot of other cities it seems to be increasing again.

I do think that despite Omaha's very slow pace of improvement of its bad neighborhoods, it will probubly be in better shape then Lincoln in 5 years. Lincoln seems to be going down-hill very, very fast while Omaha is having slow progress.
LOL, you've got to be kidding....

Old 03-09-2007, 07:15 AM

482 posts, read 2,225,813 times
Wonder when MattDen is going to Omaha to help fix all of the problems there?

Old 03-09-2007, 09:49 AM

77 posts, read 498,886 times
Default I Think It Is Funny........

I think it is funny when reading these posts that when someone says anything negative about Omaha or Nebraska, folks seem to take it personal and then attack the folks that are giving an opinion.

After all this is an open forum, I just am noticing a pattern.

Which leads me to believe maybe peolpe from Omaha or Nebraska are not really as nice as they say.

Remember people this is just cyber space nothing is really.

Have some fun.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:18 PM

You are very correct in this being an open forum. Yes MattDen has every right to say what ever he wants to say about Omaha, just like you saying that Omaha is a 'RED NECK TOWN" because of some Christmas decorations that were a big issue to you. Why didn't you go down to the Salvation Army and ask them if you could volunteer your time and take them down. But that is also another issue as this is still a free country and if the Salvation Army and the property owner wanted to leave them up all year then guess they also had that right as well. Does this make Omaha a "REDNECK TOWN"? I don't think so.

As free Americans living in Nebraska we also have the right to point out the mistakes in an individuals posting as well. This time MattDen is talking about all of the money that Omaha has that could go to help the homeless. The following comes from New York News & Features magazine that is on line and you can check it out for yourself if you like, dated March 8, 2007 by going to this link that I am providing for you.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2007/03/homeless.html

The article deals with the homeless in New York.

New York's financial data is all sunshine and rainbows these days. A $3.9 billion surplus has the City Council talking tax cuts, job growth is chugging along (62,300 new ones added in 2006), unemployment is at a slim 4.9 percent. No need to tell you where the housing market is. Great news for everyone! Except for one little thing: According the Coalition for the Homeless's annual report, released yesterday, the number of homeless New Yorkers increased by 11 percent in 2006, to 35,113. That means, the Coalition says, more New York families are homeless than at any point since the city started keeping records.
Take a second to process this bit of info. City shelters began their record-keeping in 1979. This means there are more homeless people today than just a few years after the financial crisis. ("Ford to City" was in 1975.) This means there are more homeless people now than during the crack-ridden, stock-screwed Dinkins era. This might even mean that when the average price of a Manhattan home hovers over $1 million, maybe some people have a harder time affording homes. Who knew?

State of the Homeless 2007 [Coalition for the Homeless]
NYC Job Growth Displayed Resiliency in 2006 [Crain's]

What I find interesting is that they have a surplus of 3.9 billion dollars in New York City, yet their homeless rate went up by 11%. Do you know that the 2007 budget for the City of Omaha is just $231,305,063 for the entire year. Let me see now which is larger $3,900,000,000 or is $231,305,063. It does not take a rocket scientist to know the answer to this one. Besides there are individuals who choose to be homeless, which is something that I do not want for myself or my family. If they want to be homeless then guess that is also their right being an American as well. Every major city in America has problems like people being homeless. There is an estimated 754,000 people in America who are homeless or about half of the total population of Nebraska.

In New York City there have over 35,000 people who are homeless, or about the number of people who live in Grand Island, Nebraska. Omaha according to the HHS Report done in April 2006 on the homeless in Omaha has the population at just 1,866. They have shelters and other organizations that provide close to $2,000,000 to help shelter the homeless in Omaha. You can check this out by going to this web link yourself if you want.

http://www.hhs.state.ne.us/fia/nhap/docs/Omaha.pdf

If MattDen has all of the answers to these problems then he needs to go to these cities and share his knowledge and solutions to the city leaders so that we don't have the homeless problems and ghettos anywhere in America. If he can't then he needs to make sure that he is putting out correct information and not just what he wants to put out. We have been getting enough of this from the one sided news media these past few years.

As long as this is an open forum guess some of us will exercise our right to question and point out these one sided views as we see fit. So get use to it if someone will object to your views and will defend the State of Nebraska and the true citizens of Nebraska from single minded attacks like these are.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARNYOU View Post
I think it is funny when reading these posts that when someone says anything negative about Omaha or Nebraska, folks seem to take it personal and then attack the folks that are giving an opinion.

After all this is an open forum, I just am noticing a pattern.

Which leads me to believe maybe peolpe from Omaha or Nebraska are not really as nice as they say.

Remember people this is just cyber space nothing is really.

Have some fun.
WarnYou, I understand people have their opinions and I think that everyone's opinion is valid...
However, the information being provided by Mattden is misleading, and when I provide a link to prove the information was either twisted or incomplete or incorrect, he will go to another thread and reveal the same information that I proved wrong on another thread...
And then we got Pittnurse, who comes online here and spills out her guts about how crappy people are, and fine I understand that there is a place for everyone, and Nebraska is obviously not for Pittnurse, but to repeatedly come online and put words into peoples mouths and just basically flame like mattden, in my opionion is not okay...
I am trying to provide information to people, and I always provide links to data provided by the organization or provided information... Sometimes I will have an opinion, and when I do, I state it as opionion and do not expect everyone to think the same way I do, however when people take data and twist it into a frameset that is completely misleading and shows information about Omaha that is untrue, then I have to post the accurate information, and this is happening everyday, I hated vegas when I lived there... but i don't go to their forum and provide lies and attack the integrity of the people their and only to do such... I let Vegas be... some people will like it and some won't, but if you are going to flame, then flame with the whole picture not just part of the picture or part of the data....

As far as I know Pittnurse and Mattden could be the nicest people in the world, and their views of Omaha are not favorable, that is fine... but to falsify information repeatedly and to come here just to flame will not get a very good response from the locals who love this city, and the vast majority of people that come here SEEM to like it very much...

Old 03-09-2007, 01:32 PM

77 posts, read 498,886 times
Guys, Guys, Guys, Next time cut the Prozak in half.

You just proved my point. Thank you

Old 03-09-2007, 02:26 PM

who did warn you?

Old 03-09-2007, 04:07 PM

WARNYOU,

Nice, guess we all just need to bow down to you as the queen of knowledge at the same time that we kiss the feet of the king of knowledge too. Besides I don't even live in Omaha. I am a born and raised Nebraskan, right now I work for the United Nations and am living in Europe. When you and any one else is wrong then guess we just need to point this out after all using your own words:

"After all this is an open forum", I am also noticing a pattern that we all have to take what both of you say as the only facts that matter and not question your facts or remarks. Plus as an American I too have the same rights that you have, the freedom of self expression and freedom of speak as well. These are not rights that are yours alone. Get use to it as I will be here for a long time pointing out your misleading information or telling you nice job on pointing out something.

Pointing out misleading information is not attacking individuals that are giving an opinion. What it is called is providing a different opinion that shows the correct facts that were being distorted by the other person. We call it a debate, something that I was very good at in school, I don't know what you call it.

It appears that you are taking it personal when we counter the remarks of MattDen and yourself. You both must be very liberal in your thoughts and if someone does not think like you then you turn to name calling and statements like "Next time cut the Prozak in half." I for one will not lower myself to your level by saying this to you or anyone who wants to express their opinion as long as they have the correct facts and presents all of the facts and not just the parts that they want to present.

Now go take down the Christmas decorations, that seems to have you all upset, that you drive around Omaha taking pictures of, it just might make you feel better.

Last edited by kosnebbear; 03-09-2007 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: forgot the heading

Old 03-09-2007, 08:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
WarnYou, I understand people have their opinions and I think that everyone's opinion is valid...
However, the information being provided by Mattden is misleading, and when I provide a link to prove the information was either twisted or incomplete or incorrect, he will go to another thread and reveal the same information that I proved wrong on another thread...
And then we got Pittnurse, who comes online here and spills out her guts about how crappy people are, and fine I understand that there is a place for everyone, and Nebraska is obviously not for Pittnurse, but to repeatedly come online and put words into peoples mouths and just basically flame like mattden, in my opionion is not okay...I am trying to provide information to people, and I always provide links to data provided by the organization or provided information... Sometimes I will have an opinion, and when I do, I state it as opionion and do not expect everyone to think the same way I do, however when people take data and twist it into a frameset that is completely misleading and shows information about Omaha that is untrue, then I have to post the accurate information, and this is happening everyday, I hated vegas when I lived there... but i don't go to their forum and provide lies and attack the integrity of the people their and only to do such... I let Vegas be... some people will like it and some won't, but if you are going to flame, then flame with the whole picture not just part of the picture or part of the data....

As far as I know Pittnurse and Mattden could be the nicest people in the world, and their views of Omaha are not favorable, that is fine... but to falsify information repeatedly and to come here just to flame will not get a very good response from the locals who love this city, and the vast majority of people that come here SEEM to like it very much...
Well, suppose you just prove that, ehenningsen. Right here on this forum. I believe you are going way off the deep end on that. I don't recall that I have enen been ON the Omaha forum. My opinion of Omaha might surprise you, considering your negative opinion of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha