Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 05:00 PM
EMK EMK started this thread

7 posts, read 20,170 times

Advertisements

Note: oops This was supposed to be in the Omaha section.

Hi

I'm about to get married and relocate to Omaha, Nebraska (Fiance is stationed there/bellevue (sp?)). He just moved there as well so he's as clueless as me.

I visited Omaha for 2 weeks or so to find an apartment and scope out potential neighborhoods to buy a home later etc several weeks ago.

I'm fifth-generation Japanese American and looking for asian things in Omaha. So far I have found 0 Japanese grocery stores (parents/friends will have to send me care packages) and tired one Thai Restaurant (not good).

Anyhow, I was wondering if I could get input/advice/tips on the following:

1. I'm Asian (husband is white): will I face a lot of prejudice? I'm going to be living in LaVista/Belleveue/West Omaha area> The vibe I got was that its not racist there, but instead they are nto used to seeing Asians. The only reason I want to know, is so I can be ready for it.

2. Job Market: I'm an attorney. I just started looking for jobs, and so far not that many leads. How is the job market there? Will I be able to at least find a quick temp/part=time really dont' care what, job , until I get a full time legal job?

3. Food: Recommenations for asian food would be great? or any markets. I can cook ! Also, recommendations period. I love going out to eat, especially non-chains.

4. Fishing/Camping: Any recommendations?

5. Any good Farmer Markets/Whole Foods type markets?

Last edited by EMK; 11-05-2008 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: note
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 08:28 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
I can't speak for most of the other questions as I'm mostly a steak kind of guy, but, the racism part you need not worry about.

I couldn’t imagine anyone would look at you funny for being Asian, that's ridiculous and I really don't think they would pull some crocodile hunter type move on you for being a rare breed in the Omaha area.

Lol, you'll be just fine. Now, if you came dressed with traditional Persian (taxi cab) attire then you may get some funny looks. = )

Old 11-06-2008, 09:48 AM

536 posts, read 2,154,503 times
There are Asians in Omaha, don't worry.

Aki Oriental on S 84th
Asian Food Mart on 76th and Cass

that's where I usually went for groceries.

Goodluck on the move, Omaha is great.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:30 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
There is also a great Korean Market on S 84th street between Center and Grover streets. Also in that area is an Indian market, though I can't recall the name.
I have heard of large Korean market somewhere in Bellevue....haven't been there, but heard great things about it.
As far as restaurants, like all restaurants it will be hit or miss. But the good news is that there a tons of various Asian resaurants around town.....Korea King comes to mind. There are all sorts of Chinese restaurants and quite a few Japanese/sushi places as well. Just google Omaha restaurants and I think you will be surprised at the variety Omaha has.
For racism, well....there will always be isolated azzholes everywhere you go. But as to people looking at your weird because you are Japanese or in someway angry that your husband is white I really don't think you will have any problems at all. People around here tend to have a live and let live philosophy. Don't worry, you will not be the only Japanese of Asian person in Nebraska
I have no idea what the job market is for attorneys, I guess I would hire a head hunter if I were you.
Now for camping......you are in luck! Lots of places directly around the Omaha area. Check out this link:

Nebraska Game and Parks Commission Homepage

Personally, I loved Fremont Parks this summer and I do have a soft spot for Louisville.
Even better, you are not that far away from the Rockies, the Black Hills (my absolute favorite!!) as well as the Ozarks. I would advise you to start booking as soon as possible for state and national parks as they go fast.

Good luck with your move!

Old 11-10-2008, 05:15 PM

482 posts, read 1,331,720 times
My two favorite places to camp in this area are Ponca State Park and Indian Cave State park. They are both about two hours from here. Ponca is north and Indian Cave is south. They are both on the Missouri river and are rather serene.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:22 PM

516 posts, read 1,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMK View Post
Note: oops This was supposed to be in the Omaha section.

Hi

I'm about to get married and relocate to Omaha, Nebraska (Fiance is stationed there/bellevue (sp?)). He just moved there as well so he's as clueless as me.

I visited Omaha for 2 weeks or so to find an apartment and scope out potential neighborhoods to buy a home later etc several weeks ago.

I'm fifth-generation Japanese American and looking for asian things in Omaha. So far I have found 0 Japanese grocery stores (parents/friends will have to send me care packages) and tired one Thai Restaurant (not good).

Anyhow, I was wondering if I could get input/advice/tips on the following:

1. I'm Asian (husband is white): will I face a lot of prejudice? I'm going to be living in LaVista/Belleveue/West Omaha area> The vibe I got was that its not racist there, but instead they are nto used to seeing Asians. The only reason I want to know, is so I can be ready for it.

2. Job Market: I'm an attorney. I just started looking for jobs, and so far not that many leads. How is the job market there? Will I be able to at least find a quick temp/part=time really dont' care what, job , until I get a full time legal job?

3. Food: Recommenations for asian food would be great? or any markets. I can cook ! Also, recommendations period. I love going out to eat, especially non-chains.

4. Fishing/Camping: Any recommendations?

5. Any good Farmer Markets/Whole Foods type markets?

I just moved here from Cali myself so really the only advice I can give is about food. There is a great Asian market called the New Asian Market at Show map of ‏4615 S 26th St, Omaha, NE 68107‏
This particular market is owned by Thai folks but carries a wide range of sauces and noodles (mostly dry) and stuff (and frozen goods too). Most of their products are Chinese/Thai/Vietnamese but they have a range of Japanese foods too. The produce there is just ok and I hear the fish is not very fresh, and nobody local makes tofu.

People are going to jump all over me for saying this (Omaha folks are sensitive about their city) but the Asian food here is not that great. I've tried several Thai, Chinese and Japanese places and, well...lets just say its tough to equal seafood prepared right next to an ocean. The only good-ish Chinese food I have had here is from PF Chang's (a chain restaurant LOL) and the rest have been simply wretched. But I came here from San Francisco so I am really spoiled.

There is an awesome farmer's market in Downtown Omaha, but it is seasonal. It ended mid-October and it should start up again in May. There is a Whole Foods (thank god!) but unfortunately no Trader Joe's.

The best restaurants I have been to so far are:

The Jaipur Brewing Company - Wonderful Indian food and they brew their own beer. The Jaipur Brew House

Lo Solo Mio - Pretty good Italian Lo Sole Mio Italian Restaurant Located in Omaha NE

Delice: Yummy homemade pastries, soups and sandwiches in the Old Market. Delice European pastries and baked goods

Here is a page where you can browse through Omaha restaurant menus:
» Omaha Restaurant Menus: Browse 200+ Omaha Restaurants »

My selections are pretty limited because I am a mostly vegetarian (I eat fish too) and so many of the lauded restaurants here are steak houses and grills. There is a thread on this board about favorite restaurants that is worth a look.

Congratulations on your coming wedding!

Old 11-15-2008, 11:01 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
People are going to jump all over me for saying this (Omaha folks are sensitive about their city) but the Asian food here is not that great. I've tried several Thai, Chinese and Japanese places and, well...lets just say its tough to equal seafood prepared right next to an ocean. The only good-ish Chinese food I have had here is from PF Chang's (a chain restaurant LOL) and the rest have been simply wretched. But I came here from San Francisco so I am really spoiled.
How dare you speak of my cities’ fine Asian cuisine that way? Who do you think you are?

There's a pretty good rumor a Trader Joe's will be moving into Aksarben Village or Midtown Crossing, FYI.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:38 PM
EMK EMK started this thread

7 posts, read 20,170 times
/thanks for the responses

woot *crosses fingers* hopes the rumor about Trader Joes is true !! I would be so happy, if I could get TJs and Coffee Bean !!

one good thing about moving there I can't deny, lower taxes and i have an excuse to buy cute jackets/coats/sweaters ^-^

Old 11-17-2008, 04:52 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,963 times
I can't help you with 2 & 4, but:

1. You'll be fine. You are right that they're not used to seeing Asians -- but that doesn't really mean anything else beyond that.

3. Hmm...in the past ten years Omaha has almost become like a completely different city. Sushi bars popping up all over the places. Starbucks on every corner. New and unique restaurants (for Omaha) that people actually like! Previously, every time a restaurant tried something different, it shut down with in a few years. One exception to this was Sushi Ichiban -- now called Sakura Bana. It's in the vicinity of 76th & Dodge and it's great, for awhile it was the best sushi restaurant in the midwest IMO. Sadly, as sushi became more popular in Omaha, I think this restaurant actually started going downhill -- but it's still worth a visit.

People have already mentioned the grocery stores I was going to. I'll second Aki though. It's probably not like anything you'd find in CA, but it is impressive nonetheless. On the first Saturday of the month they have a fresh fish market.

5. There is a Whole Foods @ 10020 Regency Circle.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:11 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
The Jaipur Brewing Company - Wonderful Indian food and they brew their own beer. The Jaipur Brew House
I just happened to be snooping around this thread and checked out that link. What an interesting concept-- Indian food and beer! That sounds like something really unique-- even much bigger cities like Denver, Phoenix, and LA have nothing like that. If I'm ever in Omaha I'd like to try it. Except that their prices seem awfully high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha