U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 05:53 PM

3,098 posts, read 6,934,839 times

Advertisements

it is mostly empty.

I think they should put in a dollar theatre or some grocery store.

it is nothing but a empty eyesore when you go by there on the 18 bus.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 07:51 PM

14,247 posts, read 21,021,045 times
I used to live on 41st and Ames, so that shopping center is where we would always go. I have alot of memories of that Bakers and Blockbuster there.

Over on EOmahaforums, there was a rumor that the old Blockbuster was going to be turned into a FNB branch, but that is about all I've heard.

When did that Bakers end up closing?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:59 PM

2,214 posts, read 1,945,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I used to live on 41st and Ames, so that shopping center is where we would always go. I have alot of memories of that Bakers and Blockbuster there.

Over on EOmahaforums, there was a rumor that the old Blockbuster was going to be turned into a FNB branch, but that is about all I've heard.

When did that Bakers end up closing?
I seriously doubt that the Blockbuster store will become a First National Bank branch, since there's one on 48th & Ames. I guess, more accurately stated, I seriously doubt that it will happen any time soon. I don't think most banks are in a very expansionist mode right now.

And I'm not sure, but I think that Bakers closed when the one on 72nd & Ames opened. That was before I moved to Omaha.

I would love to see that shopping center area fill up with good stores, but I have serious doubts that it's ever going to happen. I just don't think that it's in a good location for that any more.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
I seriously doubt that the Blockbuster store will become a First National Bank branch, since there's one on 48th & Ames. I guess, more accurately stated, I seriously doubt that it will happen any time soon. I don't think most banks are in a very expansionist mode right now.

And I'm not sure, but I think that Bakers closed when the one on 72nd & Ames opened. That was before I moved to Omaha.

I would love to see that shopping center area fill up with good stores, but I have serious doubts that it's ever going to happen. I just don't think that it's in a good location for that any more.
According to the rumor thread it looks like FNB was trying to purchase the blockbuster to use as another branch. I'm not sure what the status of this is, but I did bump the thread on EOmaha so maybe we can get an answer.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
According to the rumor thread it looks like FNB was trying to purchase the blockbuster to use as another branch. I'm not sure what the status of this is, but I did bump the thread on EOmaha so maybe we can get an answer.
Actually, that'd be great. I assume it'd replace their branch office on 48th & Ames. And I'm not sure whether you remember it, but that used to be a small McDonalds that they converted.

Honestly, I cannot imagine why whoever is holding that former Blockbuster Video building wouldn't JUMP on any offer.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:49 PM

I don't remember that McDonald's off hand. The only McDonald's we ever really ate at was the one on 72nd.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I don't remember that McDonald's off hand. The only McDonald's we ever really ate at was the one on 72nd.
Northwest corner of the intersection of 48th & Ames. I was told that, years ago, it was a small McDonalds (and this was by a lady who had lived in the area for 30+ years.)

Anywhoo... I'd love to see 1st National Bank take the old BlockBuster Video building and turn it into a branch office. It'd be a good location for that.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:20 PM

I checked it out in Live Maps and I don't recall that location ever being a McDonald's, however it does appear to have the type of layout where that would make sense. Of course for what it's worth, I was born in 1986 and we moved over to Council Bluffs in 1996 so it could have been before I was born or when I was very young.

I also would like to see FNB took over that location. That's a pretty big shopping center there and it could use a revival.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:05 AM

737 posts, read 1,771,230 times
I was watching the news about the two murders on Ames Ave last night.

Business's keep thier doors locked during open hours. That is so sad.

Ames Ave is the new "Green Mile"

Old 01-15-2009, 11:22 AM

3,098 posts, read 6,934,839 times
Quote:
i remember it back in the late 80's. I went to mcdonalds there at 48th and ames a couple of times.

it is now a bank there.

i think it was the ealry- mid 90's (around 1993 or 1994) If I recall correctly that mcdonalds left 48th and ames.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: