Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Out of the major 3 so far, who will/would you vote for
Hal Daub 13 72.22%
Jim Vokal 2 11.11%
Jim Suttle 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:24 AM

490 posts, read 1,266,584 times

Advertisements

None of the above since I am not afforded the right to vote in the Omaha mayoral race nor for my city councilperson. I live just outside the city limits of Elkhorn (oops, Omaha) but still enjoy the priviledge of paying the wheel tax, paying for garbage pickup, etc, etc...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 08:28 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post
None of the above since I am not afforded the right to vote in the Omaha mayoral race nor for my city councilperson. I live just outside the city limits of Elkhorn (oops, Omaha) but still enjoy the priviledge of paying the wheel tax, paying for garbage pickup, etc, etc...........
Well, do your wheels touch the city of Omaha's pavement? Does your trash get picked up by a contractor of Omaha?

I agree though, if they are going to tax you somewhat the same as a resident, then you should be able to vote, as the issues directly pertain to you.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:20 AM

490 posts, read 1,266,584 times
Well, do your wheels touch the city of Omaha's pavement? Yes, they do, I carpool downtown M-F and I have to drive every third week, and I do pay my wheel tax. Does your trash get picked up by a contractor of Omaha? No, I have to pay a private trash firm to pick up my garbage.

I agree though, if they are going to tax you somewhat the same as a resident, then you should be able to vote, as the issues directly pertain to you. Yes, they do and thank you for your understanding.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:45 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,545,403 times
I am rooting for suttle

daub i somewhat dont like cause my uncle don had to resign as fire-chief cause of daub's arrogance

though to be fair, I would rather have Daub than Vokal if a republican wins the mayor's office

vokal is too much of a fahey knockoff with a r next to his name

considering how much a arrogrant self-centered modcut that Fahey has become,

we dont need another Mike Fahey as mayor.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 01-25-2009 at 01:46 PM..

Old 01-21-2009, 10:01 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
Out of curiosity, what makes Fahey "such a self-centered prick"?

Old 01-21-2009, 10:21 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,545,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Out of curiosity, what makes Fahey "such a self-centered prick"?

how he got the new stadium apporved of.

his take over of Elkhorn

his little to no care for the crime problem in Omaha

fahey is a self-centered ego-maniac

that is why no one wants him as mayor anymore.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:10 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
how he got the new stadium apporved of.

his take over of Elkhorn

his little to no care for the crime problem in Omaha

fahey is a self-centered ego-maniac

that is why no one wants him as mayor anymore.
1. The stadium would have had to come eventually. Aside from the tenent situation which isn't entirely his fault, it's the best outcome overall. The NCAA gets a new stadium they wanted with a 25 year deal to stay in Omaha, the zoo will be expanded and bring new growth to the area. Putting the stadium issue off or patching up Rosenblatt would have been a waste of money and would cost more to do as time goes on.

2. Elkhorn brought that on themselves. All Fahey said was that eventually Omaha would annex Elkhorn. The leadership of Elkhorn overreacted and tried to annex their way up to where Omaha couldn't forcibly annex them. Elkhorn wouldn't have grown to that size for awhile, they could have remained their seperate city. Fahey even said it wouldn't be feasbile to annex Elkhorn at the present because it would cost the city money, but it would have cost the city more money to have western growth blocked off so Elkhorn leaders forced Omaha's hand. That was Elkhorn's mayor's fault, not Omaha's mayor.

3. Not true. Fahey has always worked with the neighborhood crime watch associations and been very visible in the north Omaha community. This current "increase" in crime would have little to do with any mayor.

4. I only know him a little bit from the times I've met with him and had meetings but that could be anyone. But if they get the job done then hey, they get the job done.

5. I would have voted for him again, probably even over Daub because he's less controversial by comparison but his critics have been vocal. You never hear a group of content people being loud.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:01 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,280,809 times
I'd vote for Fahey over all of the above no question. However, given these are my only options... I'd be torn between Daub and Suttle. Although I don't care for either one.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:27 PM

109 posts, read 257,129 times
On the Elkhorn issue,

It was in Omaha's best interest to do what it did and the law(whether you agree with it or disagree) was on Omaha's side. The precedent was set with the Millard Annexation and lawsuit in the '70's.
A mayor who did not annex Elkhorn and Elkhorn became too big to annex (over 10,000 people) would be considered to be Negligent to the needs of Omaha.
Of course the people of Elkhorn were not happy, who would be happy to have a part of their life forcibly changed without their input or vote.
If Elkhorn had thought ahead (at least 10 years ago or more) they could have tried to change the law, probably would not have worked, but it could have.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:34 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
I can't vote for the Omaha mayoral race. I don't even live in Nebraska. I don't even known what Omaha politics are about. Can anyone inform me on Omaha politics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha