Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:02 PM

6 posts, read 14,521 times

Advertisements

We *might* (don't know yet, but trying to be proactive) be moving to Omaha from Oregon for a job and we have a large family. We want to rent a house for a year and feel out the area. We really would like to live in the country. Can anyone give us feedback about how much we could expect to pay for renting a 2-3 bedroom house and also, what areas should we be looking for a rental (newspapers, craigslist, websites, etc.). Our budget is $1000 or less.

Thanks for your input and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 10:44 PM

536 posts, read 2,154,503 times
I moved to Oregon from Omaha a few years ago. You will definitely be able to find a house that fits your budget. I ren't a townhouse in Portland that's like $1,800/mo. Goodluck, I think you will like Omaha, my Oregonian boyfriend loved his time there.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:22 AM

516 posts, read 1,338,456 times
Craigslist is a really good place to start.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/apa/

Old 02-19-2009, 02:10 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
There is a rural real estate website somewhere on around here.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:14 PM

14 posts, read 49,257 times
Maybe you should check out www.omaha.com? There should be some housing listings in there...the local paper...the Omaha World Herald. Housing here in cheap, very cheap...but when you say you want to live in the country, it will be very different here. The country here really is not very enjoyable and the land is not the most beautiful, I mean, farmland, cornfields and flatlands of the northern Great Plains are certainly not the most beautiful parts of our vast country. I have lived in many different places, and I am just suggesting to you that you check out your other options before choosing to move here. If you have found a great job here, congratulations, since there aren't many unless you're into banking or insurance. But if your goal is to save money, this would be a smart place to live, although I have a friend living almost in downtown Atlanta for the same price it costs to live here in cold, frozen, Nebraska. Keep in mind you will not be able to do anything for about 7 months of the year due to frigid and unbearable temperatures.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:20 PM

14 posts, read 49,257 times
One other thing I think you should keep in mind, is that it is not very diverse here, and that Omaha is still the most segregated city I've ever lived in or been to. There is a general tense mood b/w different groups of people here, as I have run into many instances of racism against people who are not white. This place has not yet moved into the 21st century and is not used to different people from different places. I was not welcomed when I moved here, and did not feel welcome. It is difficult to meet people here, as they pretty much stay to themselves. It will take years to adapt to this town and you most likely will not grow to love the place, unless you are from Nebraska. There is even tension b/w people from Nebraska and Iowa, as Nebraskans think they are better from some apparent reason although the two states are essentially the same. I am just giving you a fair warning of what you may experience if you choose to move here. Omaha is definitely a bit more open-minded than the rest of the state, but it is still riddled with super-conservative people who are not open to new things/people/ideas/etc. Let me know if you need any other assitance finding sources to find housing! Good luck!

Old 02-19-2009, 06:41 PM

874 posts, read 2,894,008 times
Do you know in which part of town the job will be located and how far you are willing to drive from home to work? That might help determine suggestions for nearby towns to live in that are more "country."

I honestly don't know rental prices in rural areas, but I know that $1000 or less is feasible for a 2-3 bedroom in Omaha itself. My husband and I are currently renting out our home in Ralston to a family member and his roommates. It is 3 bdrm, 2 bath and we are renting it out for $800/month. Different areas of town and house sizes will have varying rental rates, but I think still within your price range. Many houses also have basements - some finished, some not - so that might give you a bit more room to spread out as wellYou will usually pay a bit less for rentals directly through individuals than through real estate companies, but you still might contact a real estate agent (CBS Home and NP Dodge are 2 of the real estate companies in Omaha, but there are others as well) to see if they can give you an idea of prices for any rentals listed in the MLS.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:07 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent_Thinker84_ View Post
Maybe you should check out www.omaha.com? There should be some housing listings in there...the local paper...the Omaha World Herald. Housing here in cheap, very cheap...but when you say you want to live in the country, it will be very different here. The country here really is not very enjoyable and the land is not the most beautiful, I mean, farmland, cornfields and flatlands of the northern Great Plains are certainly not the most beautiful parts of our vast country. I have lived in many different places, and I am just suggesting to you that you check out your other options before choosing to move here. If you have found a great job here, congratulations, since there aren't many unless you're into banking or insurance. But if your goal is to save money, this would be a smart place to live, although I have a friend living almost in downtown Atlanta for the same price it costs to live here in cold, frozen, Nebraska. Keep in mind you will not be able to do anything for about 7 months of the year due to frigid and unbearable temperatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent_Thinker84_ View Post
One other thing I think you should keep in mind, is that it is not very diverse here, and that Omaha is still the most segregated city I've ever lived in or been to. There is a general tense mood b/w different groups of people here, as I have run into many instances of racism against people who are not white. This place has not yet moved into the 21st century and is not used to different people from different places. I was not welcomed when I moved here, and did not feel welcome. It is difficult to meet people here, as they pretty much stay to themselves. It will take years to adapt to this town and you most likely will not grow to love the place, unless you are from Nebraska. There is even tension b/w people from Nebraska and Iowa, as Nebraskans think they are better from some apparent reason although the two states are essentially the same. I am just giving you a fair warning of what you may experience if you choose to move here. Omaha is definitely a bit more open-minded than the rest of the state, but it is still riddled with super-conservative people who are not open to new things/people/ideas/etc. Let me know if you need any other assitance finding sources to find housing! Good luck!
Absolute, 100%, certifiable BULL****! There are so many half truths and none truths in your posts I couldn't even begin to list them.

Omaha is not a miserable city, you are just a miserable person.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:48 PM

6 posts, read 14,521 times
Thank you everyone for your information. Very helpful and exactly what I needed. As for the Omaha dissenters, I am taking those comments with a grain of salt. I have heard and read nothing negative about Omaha so I think my family and I would love it there. Looks like the job fell through so for now, we are still in Oregon and not coming to Omaha. All the research I have done on Omaha has me thinking it could be a great place for me and my family, but I would need to find work there first.

Thanks again to everyone.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:17 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDoug View Post
Thank you everyone for your information. Very helpful and exactly what I needed. As for the Omaha dissenters, I am taking those comments with a grain of salt. I have heard and read nothing negative about Omaha so I think my family and I would love it there. Looks like the job fell through so for now, we are still in Oregon and not coming to Omaha. All the research I have done on Omaha has me thinking it could be a great place for me and my family, but I would need to find work there first.

Thanks again to everyone.
What line of work are you in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: