Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:24 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,543,719 times

Advertisements

BTW since some think the OWH is conservative

have a question for them:

is the The Reader or the City Weekly

conservative or middle of the road or liberal papers

and how bout the UNO Gateway

is that a conservative paper?

before we falsely say the OWH is conservative,

maybe we should bring up there are at least 3 liberal papers in Omaha

four if you count that one paper the Nebraskans for Peace folks put out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 11:48 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,280,368 times
I hardly consider those rags newspapers, but yes, they are liberal. All of them. Basically, they are just ad books with an occasional article thrown in.

The Omaha World Herald is the paper that truly represents our community, that is why I think it would be better suited with a very slight liberal bias, as I believe the small majority of Omaha is made up of very moderate democrats. It's just my opinion. At the end of the day, I don't dislike the World Herald for it's views, rather it's journalistic style. They tend to write more soft news than is nessescary, and in a city of this size, it wouldn't hurt to tell a tale of the impoverished rather than one on the latest cold snap.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:10 PM

4 posts, read 11,123 times
Default Omaha Open Houses

The World Herald is preparing to have the Real Estate Section go away, much like places like Mpls. Star Tribune has had happen. Already CBSHome and NPDodge are only posting Open houses every other week. It will be replaced by websites like 4114OpenHouses.com that shows Omaha Open Houses, and will show them all after the MLS gets the new enhancement that will download all open houses along with the other information they now put in one location. No longer will we have to search 5 broker sites to get open houses.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:26 PM

4 posts, read 11,123 times
Default Print Media is Dead

The World Herald is going strong with Omaha.com and I think it will survive, but not as we know it. If they don't figure out how to charge for online articles, where are we going to get "free press" information? Omaha Open Houses are going to be displayed by websites like the one I used:Modcut- no advertising please.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 03-12-2009 at 09:41 PM..

Old 03-13-2009, 09:16 AM

325 posts, read 962,945 times
A few pages ago I supported the OWH. Then today, I see that they reduced themselves to rank journalism by touting a headline slamming Alegent for sending 11 doctors to a conference in Hawaii while laying off 350.

Shocking!

The article goes on to say that Alegent had budgeted the trip and made the arrangements 9 months ago, and that any overages from the original budget were paid by the Docs. Any wives that went along paid their own way.

Oh yeah, the article did touch on the fact that these conferences are where doctors get to learn about current technology and implementations that move medical care forward. 11 Doctors who sit at the head of their respective discipline pyramids, thus disseminating the info down through their people. Of course, it was the job of the Alegent spokesperson to point that out.

The OWH apparently saw its role as a mudslinger who hoped to sell what, a dozen more papers to people who grabbed it off the rack because of the headline. So, the OWH increased its revenue by $12 and Alegent takes a huge PR hit from people who don't take the time to read the whole article or are predisposed to find faults.

The funny thing is that Alegent should pull a weeks worth of advertising from the OWH as retribution. Of course, that would result in layoffs at the OWH. Unfortunately, the ones being laid off invariably won't be RICK RUGGLES, the author of the article, or his editor that thought it would be a great idea to run it in the first place. I guess the headline "John Gottschalk and Terry Kroeger enjoy a fine dinner of Caviar and Champagne while the OWH lays off another 38" ended up on the cutting room floor.

While I do see the role of the media exposing true outrages such as execs giving themselves millions and millions of dollars in bonuses despite making horrendous decisions, I can't stomach what I saw the OWH do today.

Oh yeah, the total cost to Alegent for increasing the quality of medical care to us Nebraskans, a whopping $17,600.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altajoe View Post
A few pages ago I supported the OWH. Then today, I see that they reduced themselves to rank journalism by touting a headline slamming Alegent for sending 11 doctors to a conference in Hawaii while laying off 350.

Shocking!

The article goes on to say that Alegent had budgeted the trip and made the arrangements 9 months ago, and that any overages from the original budget were paid by the Docs. Any wives that went along paid their own way.

Oh yeah, the article did touch on the fact that these conferences are where doctors get to learn about current technology and implementations that move medical care forward. 11 Doctors who sit at the head of their respective discipline pyramids, thus disseminating the info down through their people. Of course, it was the job of the Alegent spokesperson to point that out.

The OWH apparently saw its role as a mudslinger who hoped to sell what, a dozen more papers to people who grabbed it off the rack because of the headline. So, the OWH increased its revenue by $12 and Alegent takes a huge PR hit from people who don't take the time to read the whole article or are predisposed to find faults.

The funny thing is that Alegent should pull a weeks worth of advertising from the OWH as retribution. Of course, that would result in layoffs at the OWH. Unfortunately, the ones being laid off invariably won't be RICK RUGGLES, the author of the article, or his editor that thought it would be a great idea to run it in the first place.

I guess the headline "John Gottschalk and Terry Kroeger enjoy a fine dinner of Caviar and Champagne while the OWH lays off another 38" ended up on the cutting room floor.

While I do see the role of the media exposing true outrages such as execs giving themselves millions and millions of dollars in bonuses despite making horrendous decisions, I can't stomach what I saw the OWH do today.

Oh yeah, the total cost to Alegent for increasing the quality of medical care to us Nebraskans, a whopping $17,600.

the omaha world herald will never fire its columnists

the owh only cares

bout firing those who work in the warehouses

and firing others who have low-level jobs at the company

Old 03-14-2009, 01:04 PM

BTW

the go-section has gotta go

we already have a paper in omaha that is like the Go-section of the OWH paper

it is called City Weekly

Old 03-15-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
the omaha world herald will never fire its columnists

the owh only cares

bout firing those who work in the warehouses

and firing others who have low-level jobs at the company
That's my position exactly. The writer and the editor decided to do a hack job on a local company. That company will/should pull its advertising for a while. The paper's revenue will drop and they'll layoff innocent hardworking people.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altajoe View Post
That's my position exactly. The writer and the editor decided to do a hack job on a local company. That company will/should pull its advertising for a while. The paper's revenue will drop and they'll layoff innocent hardworking people.
I work at the OWH and I have a chance of losing my job cause I am a low-level employee

Terry Kroger would rather throw people like me under the bus than throw his sleazy "columnists" under that same bus

I BTW agree that That company will/should pull its advertising for a while

and I think Alegent should pressure Terry Kroger to fire Rick Ruggles and whoever allowed that article to be put in the paper.

Kroeger needs to resign, he has been a distaster at OWH since he took over in early 2008

BTW:

the OWH columnists loves doing hack jobs

remember Joe Dejka attacking that tattoo parlor in papillion

or Robert Nelson trying to justify that anti-semitic rant at that Crieghton game

or.... well I could give a lot of other examples

Old 03-16-2009, 04:11 PM

Billiefan, I hope you hold on. AND help Ruggles carry his personal items out to his car, along with his editor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha