Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:09 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times

Advertisements

I'm not familiar with the northern part of Omaha, but I know someone who is looking at a few houses in Benson.

Any opinions I can give my first time homebuyer friend?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 12:32 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
It's a cool area. Some parts are VERY cool.

Because of how large it is, you'll need to be careful to find houses in the right neighborhoods - not because of fear and crime, but because of resale value.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
It's a cool area. Some parts are VERY cool.

Because of how large it is, you'll need to be careful to find houses in the right neighborhoods - not because of fear and crime, but because of resale value.
Yeah, thats what I thought......I heard that downtown Benson is becoming 'hipster' territory, which is not a bad thing. Especially since my friend is quite young.
She is looking at a house around 60th and Parker - what do you think, Omaha Rocks, will she have good resale in five years?

Old 04-27-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Yeah, thats what I thought......I heard that downtown Benson is becoming 'hipster' territory, which is not a bad thing. Especially since my friend is quite young.
She is looking at a house around 60th and Parker - what do you think, Omaha Rocks, will she have good resale in five years?
Is that the little brick house for $82,000? If that's the one, it looks really cute but small.

From just a quick look at it, I'd think she ought to be okay. Sometime when I'm putzing around on the cycle with my wife, I'll drive through there. But Blondo & 60th is, as far as I know, a pretty nice area.

Do you know how close she is to making an offer? Is it a done deal? Just thinking about it? Something tells me that this house ought to easily be had for $70,000 - $75,000.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Is that the little brick house for $82,000? If that's the one, it looks really cute but small.

From just a quick look at it, I'd think she ought to be okay. Sometime when I'm putzing around on the cycle with my wife, I'll drive through there. But Blondo & 60th is, as far as I know, a pretty nice area.

Do you know how close she is to making an offer? Is it a done deal? Just thinking about it? Something tells me that this house ought to easily be had for $70,000 - $75,000.
She's going to look at it tonight. I agree, I thought it looked like a cute starter home for her and her fiancee.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
She's going to look at it tonight. I agree, I thought it looked like a cute starter home for her and her fiancee.
Yeah, I think that's right about it being a good starter home. The taxes aren't outrageous, and it has both a new furnace and water heater. It does not appear to have central air.

The closer I look, I think that might be a really good area. It's just a couple blocks north of the Dundee area where "About Schmitt" was filmed.

There was one picture that looks like a lot of grass has grown up in the patio bricks, which leads me to believe that the house may have been sitting empty for awhile. And so the cheap-skate it me thinks that she ought to offer $70,000. I think it could be had for that.

At $75,000 - with 10% down - all payments and escrows would be under $600 per month on a 30-year note. For another $150 per month, she could put it on a 15-year mortgage. And that's still cheaper than renting a nice apartment.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:09 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,545,403 times
I live in the Benson area

and it is a good area

on a side note:

I am hoping the Old Rod Kush store near 54th and Northwest Radial becomes a Dollar General or something

cause that would be nice to have a Family Dollar or Dollar general in the benson area

Old 04-29-2009, 10:59 AM

61 posts, read 183,294 times
Sounds trashy to me, i think it should forever be only Louis', also I would like to see all of Benson be non franchise, I want the Subway to F off.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:05 AM

61 posts, read 183,294 times
Anyone know when they are starting on the benson project?

Old 05-02-2009, 02:46 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,545,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.JEFFY View Post
Sounds trashy to me, i think it should forever be only Louis', also I would like to see all of Benson be non franchise, I want the Subway to F off.

why, I like Subeway

BTW are you also saying that

Walgreens and Jiffy Lube should leave the benson area also

BTW, they have a

Sullivans Steakhouse and a Subway and a Quiznos and Jazz Kitchen downtown as well as a old chicago

and lets not forget the Hilton Hotel also is downtown

so why cant Subway and Walgreens stay in the benson area

if the Old Market is allowed to have that stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: