Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:00 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
One is a hate group, and the other is a group trying to get the far right to quite forcing hate policies on them..

And you put the two groups together?

How about you not worry about who other people love and care about, and start worrying about hate groups trying to force nazi agendas onto society?
In fairness the poster only stated that they both offended them. It's like saying you dislike rap music and sushi....not saying they are the same thing.

I'm not sure what "far right hate policies" you are referring to. I'm totally cool with gays, I just don't understand what you are saying here.

Lastly, have you ever been to a gay pride parade? I know gays that are disgusted by these parades....I sure wouldn't let me kid within a mile of one as I'm not a big fan of explaining why the guy in arseless chaps is carrying around a big rubber phallus and slapping other guys on the butt with it.

Phelp's group is much worse IMO but yeah, I also find the gay pride parades to be *unfortunate*....and can easily see how it offends some.

The irony might be that the gay pride parades are probably more damaging to gays that Phelps' group. They are extremist idiots spouting garbage...which makes the blind hatred of gays look as stupid as it sounds. Then you have gay pride parade which features the most outrageous gays intentionally making a spectacle of themselves which encourages stereotyping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 01:12 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,557 times
I've been to Pride here the last few years and I find it to not have all of the overtly sexual displays you mention.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:23 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
In fairness the poster only stated that they both offended them. It's like saying you dislike rap music and sushi....not saying they are the same thing.

I'm not sure what "far right hate policies" you are referring to. I'm totally cool with gays, I just don't understand what you are saying here.

Lastly, have you ever been to a gay pride parade? I know gays that are disgusted by these parades....I sure wouldn't let me kid within a mile of one as I'm not a big fan of explaining why the guy in arseless chaps is carrying around a big rubber phallus and slapping other guys on the butt with it.

Phelp's group is much worse IMO but yeah, I also find the gay pride parades to be *unfortunate*....and can easily see how it offends some.

The irony might be that the gay pride parades are probably more damaging to gays that Phelps' group. They are extremist idiots spouting garbage...which makes the blind hatred of gays look as stupid as it sounds. Then you have gay pride parade which features the most outrageous gays intentionally making a spectacle of themselves which encourages stereotyping.
maybe so, but this should be a lesson for all americans to quit broad-labeling, which is the basis for stereo-typing, prejudice and hate..

All sub-groups of humanity (which we all belong to) have a scale of extremism, and to base an entire group of people because of a few whack-jobs wearing chaps showing their naked cheeks is showing how naive and stupid that individual is..

The orignal intent behind these parades is being followed by the VAST majority of homosexuals, and they do these parades for the practice of showing society that the numbers are not small, and that they will not stand for the type of over-generalizations that many label us with. It is in reflection to the walks that were organized by Harvey Milk, who was an elected city official in San Francisco that was a motivator and a brave individual fighting to stop harmful legislation in the state of California. This resulted in many successes in stopping hate legislation and acceptance in that state, before he was murdered by a fellow city elected official (who btw murdered the mayor of San Fransico that same day and was released from prison after a short period of time, but committed suicide not long after his release).

And so if you are going judge us all by the few, then that is YOUR perogative, issue and problem that you need to learn to deal with.

Because if you label an entire group of people because of a practice of a few, then you are either naive or a promoter of hate..

Old 05-18-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
I've been to Pride here the last few years and I find it to not have all of the overtly sexual displays you mention.
Ah, I've been to the Chicago parades....that explains it.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
maybe so, but this should be a lesson for all americans to quit broad-labeling, which is the basis for stereo-typing, prejudice and hate..

All sub-groups of humanity (which we all belong to) have a scale of extremism, and to base an entire group of people because of a few whack-jobs wearing chaps showing their naked cheeks is showing how naive and stupid that individual is..

The orignal intent behind these parades is being followed by the VAST majority of homosexuals, and they do these parades for the practice of showing society that the numbers are not small, and that they will not stand for the type of over-generalizations that many label us with. It is in reflection to the walks that were organized by Harvey Milk, who was an elected city official in San Francisco that was a motivator and a brave individual fighting to stop harmful legislation in the state of California. This resulted in many successes in stopping hate legislation and acceptance in that state, before he was murdered by a fellow city elected official (who btw murdered the mayor of San Fransico that same day and was released from prison after a short period of time, but committed suicide not long after his release).

And so if you are going judge us all by the few, then that is YOUR perogative, issue and problem that you need to learn to deal with.

Because if you label an entire group of people because of a practice of a few, then you are either naive or a promoter of hate..
Say what? You need to go back and read my post...you know where I felt that the few extremists actually did a disservice to the larger group because that's not what the larger group is all about.

I have plenty of gay friends, I used to work out in a gym in the middle of "boystown" in Chicago using the group showers etc. and the gym was 90% gay...brrr...yeah, I'm such a stupid gay hater.

Guess you just haven't seen the zoo that is the Chicago Gay Pride Parade. It goes right past the bar at the end of the street I lived on called "The Loading Zone" (Pickup and Entry in the Rear prominently displayed, which always made me laugh...this is a nieghborhood that's definitely wilder heh heh).

Some of the parades probably have gone more mainstream over the years, they used to be raunchier by far (but no worse than a number of heterosexual events that I've seen)

P.S. Not a big fan of being misread and called out...so I will direct you to post #16 in this thread (and others) that malign a whole group due to the actions of some radicals. Hypocrites.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:05 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,557 times
Quote:
Ah, I've been to the Chicago parades....that explains it.
Well duh. Chicago's is pretty out there. Boystown in general is on a normal day.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:30 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,011 times
Quote:
Say what? You need to go back and read my post...you know where I felt that the few extremists actually did a disservice to the larger group because that's not what the larger group is all about.

I have plenty of gay friends, I used to work out in a gym in the middle of "boystown" in Chicago using the group showers etc. and the gym was 90% gay...brrr...yeah, I'm such a stupid gay hater.

Guess you just haven't seen the zoo that is the Chicago Gay Pride Parade. It goes right past the bar at the end of the street I lived on called "The Loading Zone" (Pickup and Entry in the Rear prominently displayed, which always made me laugh...this is a nieghborhood that's definitely wilder heh heh).

Some of the parades probably have gone more mainstream over the years, they used to be raunchier by far (but no worse than a number of heterosexual events that I've seen)

P.S. Not a big fan of being misread and called out...so I will direct you to post #16 in this thread (and others) that malign a whole group due to the actions of some radicals. Hypocrites.
Neither am I, but I am not a big fan of the justification of a walking-parade for justice with a few loose nuts as intolerable as a group spitting on the families of dead soldiers while holding up signs with Matthew Shepards face with the words 'In hell for #### days'

While I can understand that this member doesn't want to see the few men in chaps amoungst the 'real' crowd for the 'real' reasons, it should never be on the same scale as a group that is full of hate and hurts so many..

So, as you can see, when I read your post I was sure that I was speaking to somebody radical..

If you don't want to be viewed as a radical, you have to check how you word things, because communication is 86% non-verbal and all I have to go by are words..

Old 05-18-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Neither am I, but I am not a big fan of the justification of a walking-parade for justice with a few loose nuts as intolerable as a group spitting on the families of dead soldiers while holding up signs with Matthew Shepards face with the words 'In hell for #### days'

While I can understand that this member doesn't want to see the few men in chaps amoungst the 'real' crowd for the 'real' reasons, it should never be on the same scale as a group that is full of hate and hurts so many..

So, as you can see, when I read your post I was sure that I was speaking to somebody radical..

If you don't want to be viewed as a radical, you have to check how you word things, because communication is 86% non-verbal and all I have to go by are words..
Phelps group is like Cartman on Southpark...they are a disgusting parody...which ironically is a walking advertisement for tolerance. NO sane person wants to be a nut-job like them. There is a reason there is a group called phags for phelps....they ALSO understand that Phelps actions actually HELP the gay community by showing nutjob intolerance.

Go back to my post (#61) which reads "Phelps group is much worse..."
and now I have to listen to chastise me for "how I word things".

I will comment no further, I'm sure you will do the right thing.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Well duh. Chicago's is pretty out there. Boystown in general is on a normal day.
Cool. We agree then.

Yeah, my buddy and I were roomies and his brother was gay and lived down the street with his partner. (very cool guys that we hung out with alot). They actually disliked the extremism of that segment of the Chicago gay scene.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:42 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I don't know which irritates me more; news that the Westboro group is coming to town for a protest or news that there will be a Gay Pride parade in town. Both are equally offensive to me.

GL2
Then you'd better stay in your cave with your gun collection, cuz we gay folk are everywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha