Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:48 AM

704 posts, read 1,871,828 times

Advertisements

Which is the best Farmer's Market in Omaha. I've noted that there are several around town. I would assume that the one downtown in the old market would be the best. Anybody a fan of farmers markets and have any recommendations??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 08:57 AM

119 posts, read 438,788 times
I haven't been to others, but I really enjoy the one in the Old Market. They have a lot of variety and lots of vendors, plus its fun to just browse and people watch.

The World Herald had a Summer Festival Guide yesterday and listed Farmers Markets. Looks like the Old Market one may be the largest, with 104 vendors. Village Pointe also has one and plans for 40 farmers per week.

There are also markets listed at the Florence Mill, which seems to be a new one as they state they are seeking growers; one in Benson, one on Bancroft Street (2702 S 10th) among others...

Old 05-20-2009, 04:15 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,554,679 times
Papillion and Alegent Hospital are partnering on a new one every Wed (maybe its Thur) in Papillion City Park from mid-June to mid-August... saw a flyer on it over at Midlands Hospital.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:28 AM

482 posts, read 1,331,408 times
This seems to be a complete list of the markets around the metro.

Omaha.com More Events Section (http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1014 - broken link)

The Old Market one is good, but I have not been to any of the others.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:37 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdisque View Post
This seems to be a complete list of the markets around the metro.

Omaha.com More Events Section (http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1014 - broken link)

The Old Market one is good, but I have not been to any of the others.
Thanks!

Old 04-22-2011, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,600 times
Default Farmers Markets

I love local, farm fresh food. I see that these posts are pretty old and I had to weigh in. I live in mid-town Omaha and found I was avoiding downtown farmers market because it was just too hard to find a place to park and weave my way past the t-shirt and cuckoo clock vendors to find food. Just to get a dozen eggs on a Saturday morning took me an hour or more! Then I found out about the one at Village Pointe.
I hop on the West expressway and I'm there in 10 minutes from Dundee. The best part? There's tons of parking and it's all farmers - no gimmicks or other stuff. I'm there for the food and back home in less time than going downtown now.
I love it out there. Great atmosphere.
Omaha Eater

Old 04-26-2011, 09:17 PM

53 posts, read 235,168 times
I would have to agree. The downtown market definitely has its place, but I really like the relaxed atmosphere (less people) and better parking of the Village Pointe market. You still have to get there early for eggs though!

Old 04-27-2011, 06:27 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,794 times
I'm embarrassed to say that after living here for close to two years, I still don't know my way around very well (lost-in-a-paper-bag-syndrome, lol)...the only one I've seen so far has been the small one they have out at Aksarben, over by the new theater. There are very few vendors, and the prices were outrageous- I'll have to check out the one in old market- are the prices decent? Maybe it's from having lived in the valley in CA, but the prices here just seem seriously high to me- I went to Baker's the other day, and spent SEVEN AND CHANGE on a stupid, sub-par eggplant. I tell you, I will garden this year, by george! LOL

Old 04-27-2011, 08:56 AM

906 posts, read 1,810,195 times
The irony about fresh food is that when an item is out of season, price goes up and quality goes down. Because growing seasons are so long in CA, that's why you see good quality fruits/veges at low prices. The growing season here in Omaha is very short, so you have to get specific items in a specific time window. Herbs at the beginning of the season (May), then veges like cucumbers mid-season (June-July), and tomatoes later in the summer (August).

Old 04-27-2011, 09:05 PM

737 posts, read 1,916,417 times
My vote goes to HyVee Food Stores. They have a fresh produce department that is second to none. Plus it is air conditioned so you don't have to worry about the humidity. The free plastic bags great so you don't lug around those recycle totes around.

Did you know HyVee is employee owned? So you are supporting the local economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha