U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 01:30 PM

313 posts, read 868,706 times

Advertisements

Hey, housing values are dropping all over the city, but Roger Morrissey thinks that my house went up 6.5% in value
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 03:53 PM

2,589 posts, read 9,958,390 times
In Douglas County you can't tie the valuation to what's going on in the market (you can in Sarpy County)

In Douglas County they do not revalue an individual every year. Generally a single specific property is revalued only every years. So when you get a new valuation that's a reflection of what happened from 5 years ago to now... so a 6.5% change from 5 years ago to now would not seem unreasonable.

Its that 5 year philosophy that Douglas County has that makes the large jumps the homeowners see.

In Sarpy County every property is revalued every year, so what you get from the Assessors is closer to what's going on in the market.

Sarpy Senators actually had a bill in legislature to try to equalize the practive and get Douglas to do it the way the rest of the state does... as a homeowner I'd hate to be under the Douglas model - being faced with a huge change every 5 yrs... would rather have the slight yearly modification based on what's happening in the market.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:16 AM

313 posts, read 868,706 times
That doesn't jibe with my experience. I received a higher valuation last year and the Notice says that they reassess each year. Am I missing something?

Old 06-02-2009, 01:58 PM

2,589 posts, read 9,958,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altajoe View Post
That doesn't jibe with my experience. I received a higher valuation last year and the Notice says that they reassess each year. Am I missing something?
Yes and no.

Douglas County DOES revaluations every year, but only on a portion of the properties (about 20% on residential side) are affected... I think they spread that 20% around the city so try to hit each neighborhood.

Since they only do about 20% each year, it takes a 5 year cycle to do all properties. Once a property is done, its generally 5 years before its done again.

I just found the below excerpt from a March OWH article... probably explains it better:
Quote:
Do Douglas and Sarpy Counties reassess all properties annually?
No. The two counties handle valuation changes differently. Sarpy County places new valuations on most properties annually. As a result, changes tend to be gradual. Douglas County revalues only a portion of properties each year. The assessor elects not to revalue areas where overall valuations match up with sales prices. Under this method, individual valuations might remain unchanged for a few years before being adjusted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: