Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:14 PM

171 posts, read 549,558 times

Advertisements

I go to the CWS every year. I am now 31 and I have been going for about 25 years. Back in the early 80's my neighbor would take me to one game a year. Later the family went to one game a year. In my highschool years a bunch of friends would go to one game a year, now I try to hit 3 or 4 games a year. This year I have been to one, have tickets tomorrow, and will probably try to hit at least one more after tomorrow.

As far the drunkin hillbilly fest, thats every college footballgame I have ever been to. Nebraska, Iowa, Iowa state, Kansas, its all like that, its called tailgating. Heck even the KC Chiefs games are that way...

As far as moving downtown, I will miss the old place, but I am really looking forward to downtown, Everything about rosenblatt sucks except for the history, tradition, and memories. I can't wait to get downtown and park on a paved street and walk on actual sidewalks and hang out in bars, not tents. While downtown will be different, it will be way better. After going downtown during the NCAA basketball Tournament, I am really looking forward to see the crazy atmosphere when the CWS is down there. I am going to enjoy the heck out of Rosenblatt and take a lot of photos the next two years.

One quick warning about going to the CWS this year, I had trouble with ticket scalpers for the first time. I was trying to by reserved seat tickets. They were really shadey. One would not sell because I asked how much face value was, One wouldn't sell because I was from Omaha, One wanted to sell me a combo of Ga and reserved seats claiming we would all fit in the reserved section, one guy down the street wanted double face value and told me he was the only scalper there that day. We ended up with General Admission and found seates by the 5th inning.

I will post some photos up later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 09:31 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
If someone is a college baseball fan they absolutely know that the CWS is in Omaha. Its pretty much that simple. In fact, if they even know the CWS exists they know its in Omaha. So if they aren't aware its in Omaha its because they aren't sports fans...not because of anything related to Omaha. It could be in LA or Manhattan and those same people would not know where its at.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:12 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
If someone is a college baseball fan they absolutely know that the CWS is in Omaha. Its pretty much that simple.
It is that simple. College baseball isn't that popular. People in Omaha have this overhyped sense of how the CWS is percieved outside of Omaha. Baseball doesn't have nearly the following of Football or basketball so even though the CWS is a big deal, it's still not that big of a deal.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:03 AM

852 posts, read 1,357,524 times
It will never be as popular as the Bowl Games or March Madness but that doesn't mean it isn't a big deal. The popularity has soared the last few years and it provides Omaha some much needed recognition especially for a city that's trying to attract other sporting events. Omaha could survive without it but what else is Omaha known for outside of this region other than the zoo and the CWS?

Old 06-17-2009, 06:11 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Just flew to the east coast today and on both legs of my flight the person next to me was asking about the CWS and Omaha.

Will test the waters with others the next few days.

Actually heading out to see if a local bar or restraunt has the game on (that will be telling)

Old 06-17-2009, 07:23 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
Right, its not as big of deal as the Bowl games or March Madness. But college baseball is still pretty well followed. Clearly not as much as the Bowl season or March Madness, but those sports don't have one designated city for the championship tournament. The bowls are spread out over something like 26 cities and the Final Four is at a new city every year.

So, ask anyone where the Final Four was 5 years ago. I have no clue and I'm a big college basketball fan. Now ask even the most casual fan, or even someone not living in cave, where the CWS was and I'm willing to bet that 75% of the time you get the correct answer.

The CWS is something that gives Omaha exposure year after year. Would you trade that in to host the Final Four one time??

Old 06-18-2009, 07:20 AM

325 posts, read 963,233 times
This year's Final 4 was in.......Detroit...... I think

Old 06-18-2009, 08:41 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Right, its not as big of deal as the Bowl games or March Madness. But college baseball is still pretty well followed. Clearly not as much as the Bowl season or March Madness, but those sports don't have one designated city for the championship tournament. The bowls are spread out over something like 26 cities and the Final Four is at a new city every year.

So, ask anyone where the Final Four was 5 years ago. I have no clue and I'm a big college basketball fan. Now ask even the most casual fan, or even someone not living in cave, where the CWS was and I'm willing to bet that 75% of the time you get the correct answer.

The CWS is something that gives Omaha exposure year after year. Would you trade that in to host the Final Four one time??

I'm not saying that it's not a big deal but in my experience I've found very few people I've talked with out of town that even knew there was even a CWS. It's big for people who follow baseball but that's a small following compared to the other sports.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:24 PM

536 posts, read 2,154,503 times
I never went to a single CWS came the whole 24 years of my life in Omaha. I'm not really into baseball, and I just tried to avoid that part of town as much as possible during it.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:00 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
It will never be as popular as the Bowl Games or March Madness but that doesn't mean it isn't a big deal. The popularity has soared the last few years and it provides Omaha some much needed recognition especially for a city that's trying to attract other sporting events. Omaha could survive without it but what else is Omaha known for outside of this region other than the zoo and the CWS?
What hurts Omaha is there are few facilities to hold large sporting events like the NCAA basketball tournaments and that there are only two Div-I programs on the state.

One question. How hard is it to get tickets to the event without going through brokers/scalpers assuming that you plan well in advance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: