Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:23 PM

187 posts, read 663,801 times

Advertisements

Some of the most heinous murders occurred outside of the "bad areas." I'm thinking of the Elkhorn and Dundee murders specifically. Most of the crime in north Omaha is gang related. If you don't sell drugs and stay away from gangs, chances are you will be alright.

Violent crime will happen and unfortunately, people are killed every year, but Omaha has far less murders than cities of similar or even smaller size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 08:25 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omahajosh618 View Post
Some of the most heinous murders occurred outside of the "bad areas." I'm thinking of the Elkhorn and Dundee murders specifically. Most of the crime in north Omaha is gang related. If you don't sell drugs and stay away from gangs, chances are you will be alright.
You're right. But the media LOVES to report North Omaha crime, and act like, "Yet ANOTHER murder in North O last night!" Then you either listen, watch or read, and you find out that it was a 22-year old that was killed at 3:15 AM at a "known" gang & drug corner.

It wasn't random.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:35 AM

737 posts, read 1,916,851 times
Aside from the murders, burglaries, high drug traffic, high taxes, bad streets, idiot Mayor, bland food, soon to be bankrupt city budget, street construction projects that go on forever, unplowed city streets in the winter (Omaha), and run the town like Mayberry RFD mentality "Omaha is a great town".

Old 07-16-2009, 09:14 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
Aside from the murders, burglaries, high drug traffic, high taxes, bad streets, idiot Mayor, bland food, soon to be bankrupt city budget, street construction projects that go on forever, unplowed city streets in the winter (Omaha), and run the town like Mayberry RFD mentality "Omaha is a great town".
You can be as pissy about it as you want, but my family absolutely loves living in Omaha. I have a feeling that a lot of it is due to attitude.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:27 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Quote:
Aside from a low murder rate, things that happen in every other city, good streets, low traffic, dense city, quick plowing and street construction, an expanding economy, tons of diverse restaurants, a thriving downtown, friendly people, great school systems, 5 fortune 500 companies, the most billionaires and millionaires per capita in any city, warren buffett himself, and one of the largest philantrophic communities in the country, "Omaha is a terrible city".

Old 07-16-2009, 11:22 AM

193 posts, read 656,556 times
Happygolucky,

If you hate Omaha so much, why don't you leave? And if you have left, why are you still obsessing over the city?

Old 07-16-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawJ View Post
Happygolucky,

If you hate Omaha so much, why don't you leave? And if you have left, why are you still obsessing over the city?
I don't hate Omaha,NE I just give the not so nice fluffy information that no one talks about on here.

When they ask about Omaha you have to give them the whole picture not the zippity do da Omaha all the time.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:03 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
I don't hate Omaha,NE I just give the not so nice fluffy information that no one talks about on here.

When they ask about Omaha you have to give them the whole picture not the zippity do da Omaha all the time.
There is no intellectual honesty in combating the overly-positive postings about Omaha with overly-negative postings, especially when they are as wide sweeping as yours have been.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:39 PM

Well, I did bring the thread to over 600 views and 49 posts.

Negativity Sells. Bo-Ya

Old 07-17-2009, 08:52 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Well, I did bring the thread to over 600 views and 49 posts.

Negativity Sells. Bo-Ya
If you want to be our virtual whipping boy for the purpose of getting lots of views, be my guest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha