Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 10:23 PM

7 posts, read 15,424 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I am a student who is currently deciding on which two pharm schools to attend this fall. The program in Omaha is the Creighton pharmacy program.

I am from the Seattle, Washington area, and am wondering what are some of your guy's opinion between the lifestyle of these two midwest cities? I know Omaha or Indy aren't as "liberal" as Seattle.

I am also an Asian male, so how would I fit into Omaha?

Are there any good Korean restaurants in Omaha? No, not PK Changs. That's not even Korean food! At least that's what a taxi driver told me when I stopped over in Kansas City at one time.

As for housing, are the apartments or rental houses near Creighton in a good part of town? I ask because one friend told me it's the "ghettoes" in the northern section.

Please share your information and opinions! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 11:24 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,686,836 times
The bad part of area is small, and the housing around Creighton is generally good, and we do have some good Korean Restaurants (theres some old link back here, I'll dig it up later) Also, my dad teaches Pharmacy at Creighton, so of course I will recommend Creighton.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:48 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGyup77 View Post
Hi there. I am a student who is currently deciding on which two pharm schools to attend this fall. The program in Omaha is the Creighton pharmacy program.

I am from the Seattle, Washington area, and am wondering what are some of your guy's opinion between the lifestyle of these two midwest cities? I know Omaha or Indy aren't as "liberal" as Seattle.

Are there any good Korean restaurants in Omaha? No, not PK Changs. That's not even Korean food! At least that's what a taxi driver told me when I stopped over in Kansas City at one time.

As for housing, are the apartments or rental houses near Creighton in a good part of town? I ask because one friend told me it's the "ghettoes" in the northern section.

Omaha has Korean restaurants although I can't vouch for their quality or their authenticity. If you're using Seattle as a yardstick for comparison, I think Omaha would win, hands down over Indianapolis. Omaha's indie music scene has been compared to Seattle's, albeit smaller. Omaha has a very active and surprisingly sophisticated arts/theater/music/literature scene for a city it's size, as well as a sizeable "alt" community, especially in the eastern half of the city. In all honesty, having spent some time in Indianapolis, I think you'd feel much more at home in Omaha.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:18 AM

65 posts, read 159,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGyup77 View Post

2 Korean restaurants in Omaha, maybe a couple more near Offutt Air Force Base.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:37 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,686,836 times
This thread here has several Asian Food locations including the Korean King on 96th and L (South Central part of the city)
//www.city-data.com/forum/omaha...sian-food.html

Old 07-13-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
This thread here has several Asian Food locations including the Korean King on 96th and L (South Central part of the city)
//www.city-data.com/forum/omaha...sian-food.html

Cool cool! Thank you Go Ne for the information on Korean restaurants in Omaha area! I never expected there to be any Korean restaurants in the midwest. Oh, and if I do attend Creighton's pharmacy program, I will be seeing your dady!

Old 07-13-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Omaha has Korean restaurants although I can't vouch for their quality or their authenticity. If you're using Seattle as a yardstick for comparison, I think Omaha would win, hands down over Indianapolis. Omaha's indie music scene has been compared to Seattle's, albeit smaller. Omaha has a very active and surprisingly sophisticated arts/theater/music/literature scene for a city it's size, as well as a sizeable "alt" community, especially in the eastern half of the city. In all honesty, having spent some time in Indianapolis, I think you'd feel much more at home in Omaha.
I am not much of an indie music fan, so that won't be a factor in deciding whether Omaha is a right city for me to reside in for the next four years. However, I did get the impression that the arts and music lifestyle of Omaha does resemble that of Seattle.

I am glad that there is a poster like you who lived in both Omaha and Indy.

Omaha seemed less big than Indianapolis. But I probably won't even have the time to see any NFL football games or NBA basketball games while I'm in school.

Thanks for the feedback, smitty77.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:22 PM

187 posts, read 663,608 times
There is a very authentic Korean dive near the Offutt AFB gates called Korea House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: